Oil Leaking Everywhere - Disaster!

phan10ms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW Type R, '06 AP2 S2000
Country flag
i think he means he doesn't want the idiot putting in a new ENGINE, when he can't even do an oil change properly.
Thanks. I totally missed the sarcasm.
Sponsored

OP
OP
CbusHondaFan

CbusHondaFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Si TW, 2019 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
Well just a quick update for now. I have the car back. Drain plug was the culprit - the crush washer wasn't even "crushed". Looks to have only been hand tightened. Wish me luck guys. I'll post complete details into what happened when this is all resolved which may be a few weeks.

FYI - My CTR was purchased brand new in April 2019 and has 17,000 miles.

Last edited:

TypeX

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ASPEC RDX
Country flag
What an awful afternoon. Driving back home and less than 1 mile from arriving home the Check Engine Oil light came on for a few seconds then went off. It came on again as I was at the top of my street then went off. Also the Check Emission System light came on too right before pulling into my driveway. Well as I got out of the car I could smell a burning smell and I looked under the car and there was oil leaking everywhere like a waterfall! I don't want to speculate yet as to what happened but three weeks ago I took the CTR in for an oil change and tire rotation. I didn't go to my usual Honda dealership because they had a two week wait for appointments so I took it into another Honda dealership as they had earlier appointments available. I'm going to have Honda Roadside Assistance tow the car tomorrow morning to my usual Honda dealership, which is also the dealership where I purchased the car. Will update when I find out what happened. UGH!!! :mad::mad:

IMG-0998.jpg
friend with a 17 type r had that happen, the nut came off and LUCKILY drained like a block from house and shut car down.
I messaged a buddy whos a honda tech when it happened and he said the 2.0’s its common if they arent tight or reused the washers on an oil change.

hopefully your dealer takes care of you

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry for your problem and hopefully the engine isn't too damaged. My honest opinion, if you own a Type R and can't change the oil yourself, don't buy one.
These new age techs, just loaded with brains and common sense.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Normally, there should be no engine damage over so short time, except in cases when people have repressed memories about such events and don't recall exactly how long they were driving with low oil...
My daughter had one of those Camry's that consumed much oil, and despite my warnings, sometimes allowed it to go so low that the oil pressure light would flicker, and then she would keep driving until I checked her oil and topped up.

She never had any problem with the engine, it just kept going. Just to say that, no, flickering oil light for an actually short time doesn't mean your engine must be damaged. I would be more worried about the turbo if the car was driven on any boost with low oil pressure.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
From post #1 that doesn't even look like fresh oil - but, as you posted the drain plug was the culprit. What brand oil did they fill it with? PS Be sure that your dealer documents the issue and have the dealership where you had the work done acknowledge their error. Likely no harm but what a mess.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
Sorry to hear this OP. Unacceptable, make sure to document everything and communicate with Honda to escalate things if needed.

I'd trust them long before I'd trust one of those Jiffy Lube or Oil & Go places.
I got an allen key stuck in my tire once (maybe off my garage floor?), hobbled it to one of those places close by out of convenience after realizing something took out the tire. Explain the situation, watch them lift the car, and luckily hung around the bay as one "tech" goes to pop the hood......I stop him and he goes "oh, I thought you were here for an oil change" while holding the wrong spec oil in his hand ? reinforming them that I just need the tire patched so I can make it home, he tells me to hold on as he hops into his car, drives down to autozone, and buys a patch kit that he barely knew how to use. It was an all around cringy experience.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
I got an allen key stuck in my tire once (maybe off my garage floor?), hobbled it to one of those places close by out of convenience after realizing something took out the tire. Explain the situation, watch them lift the car, and luckily hung around the bay as one "tech" goes to pop the hood......I stop him and he goes "oh, I thought you were here for an oil change" while holding the wrong spec oil in his hand ? reinforming them that I just need the tire patched so I can make it home, he tells me to hold on as he hops into his car, drives down to autozone, and buys a patch kit that he barely knew how to use. It was an all around cringy experience.
That...takes the cake. Oy.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Scary - the cake would have been taken if the fellow hadn't hung around, the oil was drained but not refilled, and the tire wasn't fixed. "Trust but verify" is s good rule.

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Was it leaking oil for the 3 weeks leading up to the big leak? Or was it holding it together? Sorry if it was answered but I didn't see it in the thread if so. If it's the former option, that engine took a hell of a beating, and like someone said, took damage/wear that set off the CEL.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Was it leaking oil for the 3 weeks leading up to the big leak? Or was it holding it together? Sorry if it was answered but I didn't see it in the thread if so. If it's the former option, that engine took a hell of a beating, and like someone said, took damage/wear that set off the CEL.
Damage/wear does not set CEL, MIL, or the Low Oil Pressure Indicator light. Low oil pressure sets the LOPI. The engine is most likely fine, if it happened as described
Sponsored