Oil Leaking Everywhere - Disaster!

CbusHondaFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Si TW, 2019 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
What an awful afternoon. Driving back home and less than 1 mile from arriving home the Check Engine Oil light came on for a few seconds then went off. It came on again as I was at the top of my street then went off. Also the Check Emission System light came on too right before pulling into my driveway. Well as I got out of the car I could smell a burning smell and I looked under the car and there was oil leaking everywhere like a waterfall! I don't want to speculate yet as to what happened but three weeks ago I took the CTR in for an oil change and tire rotation. I didn't go to my usual Honda dealership because they had a two week wait for appointments so I took it into another Honda dealership as they had earlier appointments available. I'm going to have Honda Roadside Assistance tow the car tomorrow morning to my usual Honda dealership, which is also the dealership where I purchased the car. Will update when I find out what happened. UGH!!! :mad::mad:

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil Leaking Everywhere - Disaster! IMG-0998
Sponsored

Purple Drink

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2007 Subaru STI, 1965 El Camino
Country flag
My guess.... they forgot to tighten the oil drain plug. Thats going to cause long term issues..... I am sorry this happened to you.

I had a buddy that this same thing happened to his STI. Dealership said everything is fine just a loose drain plug. They tightened everything up and filled it with oil. about 2 thousand miles later the engine failed, bearings just let go. Dealership said it was his driving... oh and his catback exhaust and would not replace the engine. Took him 2 months to finally get Subaru of America to replace his engine and turbo.

Thats just my guess and a short story to go along with it for what its worth.

Jinba-Ittai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
when the oil light goes on, there’s usually already damage. Pull the dipstick and check the oil levels ASAP. Don’t run the engine anymore. Take lots of pictures and you may want to start asking for a new engine from the start. Document everything.

Last edited:

Jinba-Ittai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
And why are you taking it to another dealer who did not service the car? It’s going to tamper the evidence. Call your home dealer in advance to validate it’s the best course of action.

BostonCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R 2013 Toyota Corolla
Country flag
I wouldn't want to get stuck with that ticking time bomb...

Reactions: Jdm

skottharrison

First Name
Skott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan, 2021 Subaru Crosstrek
Country flag
I'm sorry for your loss of oil, engine wear and mess to clean up.
Another reason I won't take my car to a dealership for an oil change...
I have one free from the dealership but that is not enough to make up for peace of mind...

I really hope your engine does okay. My cousin had a b16, engine oil light "flickered" one day, and next thing he knew, seized and trashed.... that was the end of his Civic SI...

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
Ouch. Had something similar, though less damaging, happen to an Acura Integra (original plain version, a 1987 model I think). In that case, there was no Acura dealer so I took it to a Honda dealer. They tightened the drain plug ok, but...left the filler cap off and sitting on top of the engine block! Amazingly, it didn't fall off but oil splashed all over the engine bay. Fun.

As to dealers, it all depends I guess. The Honda dealer here is also the BMW, Mercedes, and Mini dealer, and the first three brands are serviced pretty much in the same building. Their reputation is quite good, and we used to have a CR-V we had serviced there with no issues. I'd trust them long before I'd trust one of those Jiffy Lube or Oil & Go places.

Reactions: Jdm

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Last time I went to one of those was in the Rav years ago. I sat in the car during the oil changing watching the idiots. After some time a kid comes to my window and says "Start it up so we can check for leaks." I replied "perhaps you should put oil back in the engine first." Last time...
I'd trust them long before I'd trust one of those Jiffy Lube or Oil & Go places.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I can tell you what happened bud - they didn't torque the drain plug to 30ft lbs and it came loose.

Just put in some new oil, yourself, and torque it properly - but yeah that's why many change it themselves - too many people cut corners or don't know what they are doing.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
should get it in writing from the GM if your engine blows they owe you a new engine, or a free extended warranty.

1lastnerve

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR - Black
Country flag
should get it in writing from the GM if your engine blows they owe you a new engine, or a free extended warranty.
This.

What a crappy situation for OP. First off, just the mess alone is enough to make you bonkers... you're going to be smelling oil (real or imagined) for a looong time.

Realistically, getting the dealer to replace the engine is going to be nearly impossible, but that doesn't mean that you can't gain a whole lotta leverage for future issues. i would NOT take it anywhere other than the Honda dealer that did the oil change. You need to them to take responsibility for the clean up and all the BS that you're dealing with now. Using another dealer only dilutes your position.
I don't recall you mentioning your mileage, but you will have warranty on the powertrain for quite a while, chances are if there's damage it would make itself apparent sooner rather than later... and now you can just thrash the tar out of it and just dare it to blow!

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
For those of you wanting a new engine, you are some brave souls... (if it truly ran dry for a while I'd concede there is no way around it, but if he caught it quickly enough he may be fine)

I know I always want inept techs making major replacements on my performance vehicles...

Extended warranty would be nice though for sure.