Oil leak from black inspection cover

flacobill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 IS500 his, 2020 RR FK7- hers
Country flag
What’s wrong with just leaving it be if it’s just a small leak?
Is it really worth it to drop the tranny to fix this? Your car was beat on & put together wrong…
Sponsored

croozer2000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Is it really worth it to drop the tranny to fix this? Your car was beat on & put together wrong…
That’s basically what I’m trying to figure out. If there is any reason to worry. I have a 2004 pilot that is bone dry on the bottom of the engine. What I recently have thought of was the oil is just coming from my oil changes. When I change my oil I notice that the oil is really tacky so I am assuming that it quite old.

OP
OP
9000RPM

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
eh. honda built it, they should fix it.
I don't have time to deal with it.
I'm also not a fortune teller that can see into the future.

Gr90

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Recently found that I had oil coming from the black inspection cover as well. Upon further inspection the valve cover was leaking enough that oil was seeping down between the transmission and block. You could see the oil trail started well above where the rear main seal would be.

Honda fixed it under warranty. Will update if it returns.

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
Haven't heard anything back from the dealership. They're waiting on a back ordered part that doesn't even pertain to my 2 original issues.

Also still waiting on a loaner. First time showroom floor new Honda owner and I'm not impressed at all with its after sales support.
Honda’s service is trash after you buy the car FYI. They will drive you crazy and exhaust you in hopes you give up.

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
I had the same problem when I had my civic sport since new. It’s the rear main seal. Mine was a lot worse than yours. My dipstick barely change after 7000 miles, and I know dealers are going to give me BS about it. Plus I don’t really want any shop to touch my vehicles. So I just drive it and monitor oil level closely. And I planned to replace the seal together with the clutch when needed. Nothing really progressed after 60k miles driving before I wreck it and bought my FK8.
?

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
eh. honda built it, they should fix it.
I don't have time to deal with it.
I'm also not a fortune teller that can see into the future.
I had already typed this up for something else, so pasting it here. I felt it appropriate to put here based on your comment:

There's a big misconception that a lot of people have about a dealership being the same as manufacturer. Honda service techs did not build the vehicle, Honda built it (engineers, assembly techs). I've had the privilege of touring a Honda manufacturing facility for Lean/Six Sigma work (engineering) and the difference between a manufacturing site (which is owned and operated by Honda) and a dealership (which has very few connections to Honda corporate) is remarkable - you would no longer thing of the two as the same entity after seeing the difference (because they are not the same entity).

From the world of Lean/Six Sigma, Honda manufacturing is top-tier: processes are well-defined, followed exactly and consistently, and results are checked on every piece of equipment that is assembled (both by the assembly tech and by a quality assurance tech): think quality over quantity (they shut down the assembly line when a defect is found and find and correct the cause before starting it back up).

In the dealership, there are no checks by a "3rd party" (quality assurance), so it's all up to the tech to get it right the first time. A lack of process compliance checks allows a maintenance tech to shortcut things or do things their way. Not following the process can cause errors. A lack of quality checks allows errors to reach the customer. Quantity over quality.

Honda doesn't make their money by pumping out every vehicle they can produce. They make their money by pumping out every QUALITY vehicle they can produce. It is their quality that affords them the opportunity to make and sell so many vehicles (the higher the quality, the more they sell, the more they can produce, the more they can sell, the more they make).

Other than the logo on the building and the cars in the lot, I don't see the connection between a dealer and a manufacturer.

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
I had already typed this up for something else, so pasting it here. I felt it appropriate to put here based on your comment:

There's a big misconception that a lot of people have about a dealership being the same as manufacturer. Honda service techs did not build the vehicle, Honda built it (engineers, assembly techs). I've had the privilege of touring a Honda manufacturing facility for Lean/Six Sigma work (engineering) and the difference between a manufacturing site (which is owned and operated by Honda) and a dealership (which has very few connections to Honda corporate) is remarkable - you would no longer thing of the two as the same entity after seeing the difference (because they are not the same entity).

From the world of Lean/Six Sigma, Honda manufacturing is top-tier: processes are well-defined, followed exactly and consistently, and results are checked on every piece of equipment that is assembled (both by the assembly tech and by a quality assurance tech): think quality over quantity (they shut down the assembly line when a defect is found and find and correct the cause before starting it back up).

In the dealership, there are no checks by a "3rd party" (quality assurance), so it's all up to the tech to get it right the first time. A lack of process compliance checks allows a maintenance tech to shortcut things or do things their way. Not following the process can cause errors. A lack of quality checks allows errors to reach the customer. Quantity over quality.

Honda doesn't make their money by pumping out every vehicle they can produce. They make their money by pumping out every QUALITY vehicle they can produce. It is their quality that affords them the opportunity to make and sell so many vehicles (the higher the quality, the more they sell, the more they can produce, the more they can sell, the more they make).

Other than the logo on the building and the cars in the lot, I don't see the connection between a dealer and a manufacturer.
I think we all understand how different the two are. That does not exonerate the dealer or Honda from having a responsibility towards their customers. It is ultimately Honda’s fault for not auditing and putting enough enforcement so that dealers quit it with their bullshit, especially for cars during warranty.

OP
OP
9000RPM

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
April is here and decided to crawl down there to do the oil change. I am glad that the oil leak is gone but unsatisfied with the repair.

The tech broke one of the studs connecting the downpipe to the frontpipe. He also left of both of the downpipe support brackets.

I'm gonna reach out to the service manager to get these replacement parts. Don't trust them to work on my car again.

The black soot on the aluminum pan is caused by leak from the broken stud.

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil leak from black inspection cover IMG_20220416_141845

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil leak from black inspection cover IMG_20220416_141230

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil leak from black inspection cover IMG_20220416_141402

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil leak from black inspection cover IMG_20220416_145905

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil leak from black inspection cover IMG_20220416_145825

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil leak from black inspection cover IMG_20220416_173113

Last edited:

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Dealership service is turn and burn to make money. The techs make more when they move cars. If you get a crappy repair and the dealership doesn't make it right contact Honda North America with your complaint. I think they would turn up the heat. BTW this issue is not just Honda specific...

RTC975

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Type-R
Country flag
Sorry you had to go through this / going through this. Bigtime example why on this car I'm not letting anyone touch it for anything.

Have my attorney involved in an issue with a dealership service department currently. It's definitely not brand specific. These are often flat rate techs paid by the job. Mazda tech left my girlfriends new cx-5's oil pan and service cover plastered in old used oil when they did the first free change after purchase. Took half an hour to clean that up.

NYR2424

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
April is here and decided to crawl down there to do the oil change. I am glad that the oil leak is gone but unsatisfied with the repair.

The tech broke one of the studs connecting the downpipe to the frontpipe. He also left of both of the downpipe support brackets.

I'm gonna reach out to the service manager to get these replacement parts. Don't trust them to work on my car again.

The black soot on the aluminum pan is caused by leak from the broken stud.

IMG_20220416_141845.jpg

IMG_20220416_141230.jpg

IMG_20220416_141402.jpg

IMG_20220416_145905.jpg

IMG_20220416_145825.jpg

IMG_20220416_173113.jpg
What!?!?!?!?! Which NJ dealership? I'm in NJ. That's ridiculous! I'd be furious!.

OP
OP
9000RPM

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
The service manager reached out 4/22, Friday, saying they want me to bring in the car so the shop foreman can look it over and order the missing parts. I told him I could be there at 5:45PM same day, but their schedule doesn't work. I ask how about the next day, Saturday. Also, doesn't work. He tells me next Saturday.

So, I'm bringing it this upcoming Saturday, the 30th, and I told him I'll be waiting for it.

Looking at the photos again, can anyone tell me if these two are supposed to be connected to anything? At this time, I'm kinda paranoid about what else this tech has missed.

I'm giving this dealership a chance to correct its mistakes so I won't be publicly posting the name.

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil leak from black inspection cover IMG_20220416_173113

NYR2424

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The service manager reached out 4/22, Friday, saying they want me to bring in the car so the shop foreman can look it over and order the missing parts. I told him I could be there at 5:45PM same day, but their schedule doesn't work. I ask how about the next day, Saturday. Also, doesn't work. He tells me next Saturday.

So, I'm bringing it this upcoming Saturday, the 30th, and I told him I'll be waiting for it.

Looking at the photos again, can anyone tell me if these two are supposed to be connected to anything? At this time, I'm kinda paranoid about what else this tech has missed.

I'm giving this dealership a chance to correct its mistakes so I won't be publicly posting the name.

IMG_20220416_173113.png
Don't believe so. Look underneath car and see if any pop clips are missing.

OP
OP
9000RPM

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
Update...Stopped by the dealership last Saturday. Service manger tells me he'll pull the car to the bay himself and will bring me back to meet with a tech and the shop foreman. Both waited until I got there to lift up my vehicle.

We went over the missing parts, which are the support brackets and the broken off exhaust stud. I'm pretty sure it was this tech that worked on my car but he pretends he don't remember this car at all. Whatever, I'm just there to have the shop foreman confirm the missing parts.

I'm waiting for the service manager to let me know when all the parts are in.
Sponsored