First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 sr5 access cab, 98 civic hx ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It looks like a regular flat washer, but is made of aluminum, so will no doubt deform a bit when torqued to 30 ft-lbs
somtimes but not always the crush washer on my tacoma was reused a few times because i didnt know i was suppose to get new lol i replaced it when i noticed it had a crack haha
Sponsored

OP
OP
ShaneP865

ShaneP865

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Aegean Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well guys it was the plug backed out....luckily I caught it when I did and everything is fine. Very odd that it waited till about 3/4 of oil life till it came off? Wonder if we need a plug solution?

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Well guys it was the plug backed out....luckily I caught it when I did and everything is fine. Very odd that it waited till about 3/4 of oil life till it came off? Wonder if we need a plug solution?
a new washer and 35 lb-ft of torque on the bolt should be just fine. If your bolt backed out from vibration, then it wasn’t torqued. And you should be having a serious conversation with the person who did your last oil change on how they almost bricked your engine.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Also, you’re engine very well may have sustained some damage in the short amount of time it was running with no oil.

You now should be checking your dipstick regularly to make sure you aren’t burning oil. It’s probably fine. This is absolute worst case scenario. But if your cylinder walls did get scored up, you now have an engine that burns excessive oil and its lifetime will be significantly reduced.

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
When the idiot light comes on in the dash for low oil, damage has already occurred. I would highly recommend monitoring your engine for signs of damage (burning oil, blue/gray smoke out the exhaust).
We need no “plug” solution. Just like any car make/model, we need competent technicians servicing our vehicle. Your failure was a result of poor wrenching, not poor design.

OP
OP
ShaneP865

ShaneP865

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Aegean Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Luckily for me it decided to come off in the parking lot and when I shut the engine off it just drained into my parking space for a while before it stopped. The guys at work said it looks like the exxon valdeze oil spill. My buddy has a wrx and mentioned he installed a valve plug in his. I have owned a lot of cars and never had the oil plug work its way loose and fall off.

TriangleHeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe (FC4, K20C2)
Country flag
Who did the last oil change on it? The plug backing out is impossible unless it wasn't torqued properly or someone loosened it after the fact to sabotage (unlikely with the metal underbody panel under the car). Whoever did it is responsible for this. If it was the dealership get them on record in writing admitting they screwed it up for anything that could happen in the future.

Given your description (I might be wrong) that the light was on for a tiny time before turning off, I personally don't think the engine was damaged or if it was damaged, it was so minor to not be worth thinking about. The light only turns on when the oil pressure switch/sender detects a loss in oil pressure. If the light was only on for a second, that's less than the light remains on after your average oil change (about two seconds) or on some people's cold starts. You also have to factor in all of the oil that was circulating around just prior to pressure loss, enough to keep bearings and other moving parts lubricated.

Whether they just torqued it down now and added top up oil or did a whole oil change now, if you're worried about engine damage get an oil analysis on the next oil change or any time afterward. If something happened now that wore away the surface of a bearing, it will continue to shed metals long after.

Last edited:

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I would certainly get a Blackstone oil analysis with your next change, or sooner, like in 1000 miles.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
Told you. The plug was not properly torqued.
The aftermarket valve might help out in the future. Just put it right once and you don't need to take it out anymore.

Sil98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Type R, '08 Kia Sorento, '03 WRX, '97 Del Sol Si, '90 Supercharged TA
Country flag
..Just like any car make/model, we need competent technicians servicing our vehicle. Your failure was a result of poor wrenching, not poor design.
Well jeeze, what do you expect for $100/hr??

Decades ago when i lived in apartments and had few tools i had my oil changes done at the local Sears Automotive. Ten oil changes for $50 if you provided your own filter.

Packed up my car for a move from Southern California to Washington State. Stopped for a break in a Sacramento mall parking lot. Somehow i just happened to notice oil dripping from the plug. Fortunately there was a Sears Automotive in that mall and they tightened the plug properly.

Then there was the pro who didn't tighten the trans cooler lines enough on another car (ended badly). And the Acura tech who found nothing wrong with my '87 Integra that had an intermittent oil pressure warning light (that's how i ended up buying my '93 Civic hatch on New Year's Eve).

Davewoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 fk8
Country flag
It's threads like this that remind me why I do all my own maintness. Thanx yall!

Oscars

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic sport hatchback, 2014 Ram 2500
Country flag
Do you use any washer with the fumoto fitting since treads are short

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Do you use any washer with the fumoto fitting since treads are short
I used the included blue washer/gasket without issue. Had my fumoto on for the past 2 oil changes.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag