Oil just purged into parking lot

ShaneP865

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Aegean Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I pulled into work this morning and the check oil light came on for a second then went off. I got out and opened hood and smelled oil. Walked around to the side of the car and noticed the rainbow trail I had left behind me. Looked underneath and oil was draining onto the ground near passenger front wheel. Looks like it waited until I was in the parking lot before it unloaded. Got a tow truck on the way and have notified the dealership it will be arriving soon.
Sponsored

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Alright so youve got some questions to answer:

Did somebody else just do an oil change on it?

Is the car stock?

MstrSHAKE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
Buddy had it happen on his type r
Culprit was reusing crushed washers

i messaged a friend whos a honda dealer tech and he says hes had 3/4 ctr and accord 2.0’s come in with it. People who go to those quick lube places and lazy techs who dont put in a fresh washer then the nut slowly loosens n falls off
my last oil change I had reused that washer and zero leaks. I torqued it pretty good but still. Can’t see it leaking oil like you described unless it was left out completely.

always change out the washer but leaving it for one or even two changes shouldn’t cause what you described.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
Buddy had it happen on his type r
Culprit was reusing crushed washers
He drove around the block to his aunts house pulled up stopped and oil was everywhere LUCKILY the car wasnt at full temp and still fairly cold

i messaged a friend whos a honda dealer tech and he says hes had 3/4 ctr and accord 2.0’s come in with it. People who go to those quick lube places and lazy techs who dont put in a fresh washer then the nut slowly loosens n falls off
That makes no sense.
The only purpose of the drain plug washer is to seal.

The only real problem here is lazy people not tightening bolts to the right torque.

MstrSHAKE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
Ok im giving you actual cars that it happened to and your giving should/could haves.

just saying.

i’m out of the thread enjoy speculation
No I’m giving you an example of my actual type R that I 100% reused the washer because I forgot to purchase. but hey I guess we all have different experiences then ??‍♂

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
That makes no sense.
The only purpose of the drain plug washer is to seal.

The only real problem here is lazy people not tightening bolts to the right torque.
Crush washers are single-use items. They are designed to be used only once, becuase they deform when torqued to create a seal. If you try to reuse it, the deformities may not create a tight seal again.

OP
OP
ShaneP865

ShaneP865

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Aegean Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It has been a while since it was changed........maintenance minder said 40 % oil life when i checked it but 100% of that is laying in the parking lot. Car is bone stock. I will update when i find out more.

MstrSHAKE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
Crush washers are single-use items. They are designed to be used only once, becuase they deform when torqued to create a seal. If you try to reuse it, the deformities may not create a tight seal again.
Correct, but the oil plug washer is nothing like a crush washer though. Just a washer. Correct me if I’m wrong. But my Subaru without a doubt had a crush washer. These are nothing like those

Last edited:

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Myers but the oil plug washer is nothing like a crush washer though. Just a washer. Correct me if I’m wrong. But my Subaru without a doubt had a crush washer. These are nothing like those
It looks like a regular flat washer, but is made of aluminum, so will no doubt deform a bit when torqued to 30 ft-lbs

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
The OP still has not giving any details as to what happened yet....

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Its a $.50 washer. You should be replacing it every change anyways.
I bought 20 of them, when I did my first oil change. I figured, if I had to go across town to the dealership, I might as well get a "lifetime" supply.
Sponsored