Oil filter

camhabib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Porsche 911, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Because the engineers who designed it said that was good enough to meet their requirements for filtration considering engine life, etc.? These recommendations don't just occur to manual writers in their dreams. And they aren't just random crap disassociated from what's good for the car. They don't want to tell their customers to spend money just because. Why is that such a problem for so many people? The oil&filter every 3k miles/3 mos days are gone. It's really going to be OK. Unless you run a quick lube franchise.
But they are in a sense just very made up numbers. Talking with an actual engineer at a Le Mans race a few years back he admitted to me that while his department determined what was and wasn't technically feasible, the actual oil intervals were designated by what is akin to the marketing department. He said that in a "competition" to make each car seem easier to service, more reliable, etc, each company was pushing for their car to have the longest service intervals. Kind of like how the big three German brands all decided to limit to 155 mph to avoid the years of one-upmanship that was going on.

I plan to go by the service reminder for this car, but generally, I change filter and oil each time, twice a year (on a car with a recommended 15k schedule), regardless of what I hit.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
But they are in a sense just very made up numbers.
Sure they are. With the range of oils and operating conditions, they have to make some educated guesses. But not from nothing and not without some rationale supporting them. Honda is warranting the powertrain for 5 yrs/60k. And they are writing extended warranty paper just as fast as they can sell it. And they value their reputation. (Except maybe as regards what they are doing to it with infotainment software.) They aren't going to put the engines at undue risk just to score some imaginary marketing points for the precious few customers what might notice.

CE1_nobling

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX 6sp , 1997 Honda Accord EX Wagon , 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CrewCab 6.0
Country flag
Finally I was able to take some pics and locate the oil filter and oil drain plug.

2.0 - K20C2 - manual trans - I would think the CVT oil filter location would be the same.

It is really easy to get to , once you remove the aluminum shield covering the underside of the engine/trans.

See pics below.
Cover pics
Honda Civic 10th gen Oil filter DSCN0895_zpswmd7qnat

Another pic of the cover.

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil filter DSCN0896_zps82tbtsoi

Pics of the cover and fasteners
Front side is at the bottom of the photo

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil filter DSCN0877_zpsy1wd2s6f

Pic of the fasteners used - only two phillips type - the rest are half turn flat heads

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil filter DSCN0882_zps11kpaffq

Oil filter location - Passenger side of the vehicle.
Real easy to access.

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil filter DSCN0884_zpsmaa65fpa

Pic of oil drain plug location and filter .

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil filter DSCN0888_zpskxib0mkt

Under side pic with drain plug

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil filter DSCN0889_zpseqhfddwl

Close up of oil filter , near a/c compressor

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil filter DSCN0891_zpsd04mscwn

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
Aluminum panel. Cool. I see it's very well under-covered throughout with well fitted plastic panels... The engine oil pan is actually marked as such.

Wyborowa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe LX MT
Country flag
Remember. Membrane oil filter with absolute micron rating are best.
Great great video.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Blue ? Hard to see it is very dark as the engine !

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil filter 38990533612_527040bbdf_b

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
If you're going to all the trouble of an oil change, then why not do the filter while you're there ? It's only about $9 for a high quality filter ! Check filter reviews to see which is best for you and your engine. I used a Wix 57356XP for my '16 2L NA Civic.

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
If you're going to all the trouble of an oil change, then why not do the filter while you're there ? It's only about $9 for a high quality filter ! Check filter reviews to see which is best for you and your engine. I used a Wix 57356XP for my '16 2L NA Civic.
I do my oil changes at 6 month approx 5000 mile intervals. It seems kinda pointless to change the filter twice a year when it captures more particles the second time around and is no where near the 20000 mile rating that the Fram ultra offers.

WokeNotaSleep

Banned
Banned
First Name
WokeDude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic
This is simply not true. While all filters' efficiency is changed over time by collected debris, this does not change their ultimate ability to filter. For a filter to start collecting <20 micron particles (good filters go down to 20 microns), it would likely be clogged enough for the bypass valve to open due to pressure differential. In general, oil flow is most important to your engine's longevity, not removing sub 20 micron particles. If you have time, reading some of the historical threads at bobistheoilguy.com is definitely worth while.
This is why I want to use a high micron filter like Fram Ultra, don't want to get into a bigoted discussion of which brands are elite but filtering capacity is important to me. And also flow and Fram is well known for flow with that synthetic media specifically.
Sponsored