Oil filter

MtheBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
So when i was going through the maintenance section on the manual i noticed that the maintenance minder has a code to just change the oil (code A), and another for the oil and filter (code B). So i did some research and found that oil filters need time to break in before they reach optimal efficacy thus the whole change oil filter every other oil change. I've always just changed both every time a car needed an oil change and understood why since your down there why not its only like $9 for the filter, but i guess for my new car I'm going to just follow the maintenance minder and do it every other change since that's what the manufacture recommends. What do you guys think?
Sponsored

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
Oil filters are pretty eazy flowing when new but as they plug with larger metal particles and crap they end up filtering out finer particles. If you always change the filter every time you change the oil, the smaller stuff never gets pulled out of the oil.

HondaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
So when i was going through the maintenance section on the manual i noticed that the maintenance minder has a code to just change the oil (code A), and another for the oil and filter (code B). So i did some research and found that oil filters need time to break in before they reach optimal efficacy thus the whole change oil filter every other oil change. I've always just changed both every time a car needed an oil change and understood why since your down there why not its only like $9 for the filter, but i guess for my new car I'm going to just follow the maintenance minder and do it every other change since that's what the manufacture recommends. What do you guys think?
To be honest, I have never noticed that before!

I thought it was always change the oil and filter for A and B!

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I would rather change filter every change than take a risk of a plugged filter not doing its job. Does it make sense to change a filter every 20K miles?? If the maintenance minder lets you go 10K miles between changes, then 20K would be the first time you'd change the filter. Not gonna do that

OP
OP

MtheBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
That is what I'm thinking too. I'm just wondering why they would put in the manual to change it every other time? Am I just reading to much into it and they are assuming everyone would just change the filter every time, or do they have a reason for recommending every other oil change.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I'm just wondering why they would put in the manual to change it every other time?
Because the engineers who designed it said that was good enough to meet their requirements for filtration considering engine life, etc.? These recommendations don't just occur to manual writers in their dreams. And they aren't just random crap disassociated from what's good for the car. They don't want to tell their customers to spend money just because. Why is that such a problem for so many people? The oil&filter every 3k miles/3 mos days are gone. It's really going to be OK. Unless you run a quick lube franchise.

Last edited:

CE1_nobling

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX 6sp , 1997 Honda Accord EX Wagon , 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CrewCab 6.0
Country flag
Honda has been recommending oil filter changes every other oil change for a good while.
My 97' Accord owners manual- under normal maintenance schedule recommends the same.

pwschuh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6-speed
Country flag
Oil filters are pretty eazy flowing when new but as they plug with larger metal particles and crap they end up filtering out finer particles. If you always change the filter every time you change the oil, the smaller stuff never gets pulled out of the oil.
This is simply not true. While all filters' efficiency is changed over time by collected debris, this does not change their ultimate ability to filter. For a filter to start collecting <20 micron particles (good filters go down to 20 microns), it would likely be clogged enough for the bypass valve to open due to pressure differential. In general, oil flow is most important to your engine's longevity, not removing sub 20 micron particles. If you have time, reading some of the historical threads at bobistheoilguy.com is definitely worth while.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Honda does this to minimize advertised long term cost of ownership and environmental impact. That and yes, it meets their minimum requirements for protection. If it were me, knowing this is a new motor with both turbo and direct injection, I'd say a $9 genuine filter is cheap insurance. Then back it up with a few UOIs before considering a swap of the filter every other change.

That said, I've never taken issue with Honda's recommendations.

CE1_nobling

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX 6sp , 1997 Honda Accord EX Wagon , 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CrewCab 6.0
Country flag
Forget what kind of filter you will use, has anyone actually located the filter yet on a 2.0L? They sure don't make it easy. :doh:
I have not even thought about looking.. looks like I'll be checking out the location this weekend.

CE1_nobling

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
And the results of your investigation revealed what? :wave:
Hopefully I'll have some free time this weekend to inspect and take pics. :D

pwschuh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6-speed
Country flag
You can see the tip of the blue oil filter in the 2.0 engine photo... It's under the engine, closer to the front passenger side area, just behind the AC pump.

Interesting. That's pretty unhelpful given the undertray.
Sponsored