conbrio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback 6MT SGP sport touring
Country flag
I've been using a pair of these over the last 10 years -

filter-wrenches-500x500.jpg
Yes I saw those at Princess Auto. Seems like there are many options to choose from when it comes to an oil filter wrench!

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
Yes I saw those at Princess Auto. Seems like there are many options to choose from when it comes to an oil filter wrench!
I've yet to run across an oil filter that they didn't work on. I get a new car every 2-3 years so having a universal oil filter wrench has come in real handy :)

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
:agree:That's the best type for civic and most vehicles. That's what I use if I need one, I have the 3 other types and they suck.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
For s long time I never used a torque wrench on filters, but now I started doing it, for the following reason: why not. Of course I never had any issues, because exact torque is not so critical on a rubber seal, but hand torquing with oily hands is very random. So it usually results in over-torquing in particular by the services, and then the need to use any brutal contraptions to remove the filter.

The OEM filters A01 actually have only torque-based instructions on them, while various other filters have usually instructions based on turns from the point of contact.

I have all kinds of wrenches for filters and I remember struggling with removing filters installed by various services on my cars to the point of totally demolishing the spent filter. Now I just use the socket that fits the filter (which btw. is 64 mm flat to flat and seems exactly the same as similar Toyota OEM filters) plus a ratchet with an extension. The tool shown above is not universal at all. It could be impossible to use it on cars where there is no space for it around the filter.

The torque on these Honda A01 filters is 7.5 to 10 lb ft (or 90 -120 lb in). The similar filter for Toyota says to turn it 3/4 turn.

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil filter wrench 3A04EB86-909A-4747-B140-5F40B1BCF54C

Last edited:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
anybody with half common sense would never tighten a filter with oily hands,

wear a clean rubber glove for grip, and it is not random,

that is the way i was taught, by a licensed mechanic,

i have installed more oil filters then everybody on this website combined,

about 30 a day, 6 days a week, for 4 years
When you change your gloves to tighten the filter, I get the torque wrench.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
go to the auto parts store with your oil filter and find the correct fitting socket for it. This works better than anything else on this thread.

chriser0

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I use one of these, this is universal.

Oil filter wrench.jpg
FYI, This will not work for your RAV 4. But these are good for removing regular style filters. A bit tricky the first time you use them though. These also do not alow you to install them.

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
FYI, This will not work for your RAV 4. But these are good for removing regular style filters. A bit tricky the first time you use them though. These also do not alow you to install them.
This is why it's called an oil filter removal tool, I never use a tool for installation.
Like Conbrio said before, it's a hand job only..lol

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I've been using a pair of these over the last 10 years -

filter-wrenches-500x500.jpg
I have one of these. It scratches up and dents the old filter, but that doesn't matter to me since the filter was going to be thrown out anyway. Great little tool!

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Always try to grab the filter at the outer edge, meaning furthest away from the engine, that's where it's the strongest, and will not crush as easily
Thanks for that tip! I'll remember that for next time!

jsharon

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BRZ Limited 6 Speed
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Am I the only one that didn't have a tool the first time so stuck a screwdriver through the filter to get it off when it was stuck...

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Am I the only one that didn't have a tool the first time so stuck a screwdriver through the filter to get it off when it was stuck...
I never had to go that far, but I've had several struggles, sometimes ending up in the filter looking like a bulldog was using it as a toy. So I have an assortment of filter removal tools. All these cases were caused by someone changing the oil making damn sure the filter would never ever come off accidentally. (this could even have been me on a couple of occasions, before I learned) Here is one list of some tools and tricks:

https://focusoilfilter.com/unscrew-tricks/

and there is even this good comment there: " not all filters are that accessible and some tools used wouldn’t fit in a modern engine."
Sponsored