Oil % dropping fast

anthonylifts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe LXP
Country flag
hello everyone, so It’s been about 2,000 miles since my last oil change and now it’s already at 15%, is it leaking out?
2016 civic lx
Sponsored

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
Did the oil life monitor get reset after the service? 15% after just 2k miles seems rather excessive.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Did the oil life monitor get reset after the service? 15% after just 2k miles seems rather excessive.
That's what I'm thinking. That thing will not dip that hard that fast unless that's 2k miles of track time lol.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Nothing to do with the amount of oil in your engine, it's the oil life remaining in percentage. It's calculated depending of your driving.
Exactly. It's the oil's health bar, not the fluid level.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
How long since the last oil change? If it's been 6-8 months it might be why it's that low. It's just mileage but how you use it, time will also reduce oil life even if you don't drive it. Might even be harder on an engine to sit or be used for very short drives than be driven 200km per day for example.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
mine is at 30% at 2800 miles. doesn't seem right but I check my oil level regularly and it's still exactly the same as when I changed oil. Also the color of the oil is good; not dirty looking at all.
It's like the color of honey. Still transparent. All my driving is local short trip stop and go around town. maybe that's why.

delucat2

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EXT
Country flag
I had seen about 7,000 miles as the maintenance minder interval of oil life for my 2017 1.5T.
With so few miles driven in 2020, i have only about 1,500 miles on the car and it shows 40% remaining. It must have a time based input to the calculator.

nikkon

First Name
Mihai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 1.5T
Country flag
I can share my experience here - I was worried by how fast the oil calculator was decreasing the number of km until the next change. It does count your driving style. However, the 2nd and the 3th change gave me way bigger range. now it's stabilized.

Sil98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Type R, '08 Kia Sorento, '03 WRX, '97 Del Sol Si, '90 Supercharged TA
Country flag
I can share my experience here - I was worried by how fast the oil calculator was decreasing the number of km until the next change. It does count your driving style. However, the 2nd and the 3th change gave me way bigger range. now it's stabilized.
Details?

nikkon

First Name
Mihai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 1.5T
Country flag
I changed the oil the first time after 3500 km.
second time 7000km
now i do it every 10-12k km and the calculator is telling i still have 2-3k to go

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
First oil change will be shorter as the engine is breaking in, meaning the internal parts are wearing together to create better surfaces(better piston ring seals, cam surfaces wearing together to create a flat to each other contact area, etc) and that will increase the amount of particles in your oil, requiring you to change it earlier.

By design, the computer will require you to change the oil every year regardless of mileage as oil will lose its additives and become a bit acidic over time. Very short trip that the engine barely has time to get to operating temps will create a lot of condensation and cause the oil to not work as efficiently. You can see this if you take your oil cap out and look underneath. If you have whitish goop collecting there then you have condensation happening. The only way to get rid of most of it is to take weekly 45+ min trips to let the engine get hot and give time to the condensation to get pushed out of the engine.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
Since covid came around a tank of gas is lasting me a month.

nikkon

First Name
Mihai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 1.5T
Country flag