oil % dropping fast on new 1.5L turbo

pjw7454

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic couple ex-L
i just bought my 17 civic a week ago with 128 miles on it and the oil % read at 70% which i was concerned due to the fact that it should be at like 99% for that many miles. after a week city driving and minimal highway driving the oil is already dropped to 60% and ive only driven about 200 miles on it. is this normal for a break in period? did the dealership screw up? at this rate ill be down to 10% at 1,500 mi or so. thats way too low. thoughts?
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
i just bought my 17 civic a week ago with 128 miles on it and the oil % read at 70% which i was concerned due to the fact that it should be at like 99% for that many miles. after a week city driving and minimal highway driving the oil is already dropped to 60% and ive only driven about 200 miles on it. is this normal for a break in period? did the dealership screw up? at this rate ill be down to 10% at 1,500 mi or so. thats way too low. thoughts?
I believe that the % drop is a function of both Miles, and the # of times the engine is started.

128 miles and 70% could be a lot of very short test drives !!!

There must be some "secret" formula that it uses :

ie 100 - (Miles/100) - (Starts/36) %

Last edited:
OP
OP
pjw7454

pjw7454

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic couple ex-L
I believe that the % drop is a function of both Miles, and the # of times the engine is started.

should i take it for an oil change at 10% then? also if the dealer didnt give me any oil changes i can do it myself very easily but which brand would you reccommend? ive heard mobil 1 is a premium brand. im looking to keep this car past 250K

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag

should i take it for an oil change at 10% then? also if the dealer didnt give me any oil changes i can do it myself very easily but which brand would you reccommend? ive heard mobil 1 is a premium brand. im looking to keep this car past 250K
I am not the best person to ask.. only had a Si for a few months.

Personally, I would recommend
(a) Using whatever Oil Honda says to use.
(b) Do not do the 1st oil change too early , something about the initial oil that Honda puts in to help break thing in.
(c) IF you can do oil change + filter changes yourself, DO Them yourself (and document them)
(forget about that 1st Dealer FREE Oil change, and the Free Scratchy Car Wash)
The less time a dealer is messing with your car, the less it risks being screwed up.
Far too many Horror stories about Dealers, including personal experience.

If someone else is going to work on my car, I want to know who they are up front, and be able to watch, at any time they have my car, as to what they are doing, and why.

NOT going to happen at a Dealership ..

Find yourself a Good, Trained, Experience Mechanic with good Honda Experience, build up a relationship with them, and be involved in anything that they do to your car.

My 2 cents

OP
OP
pjw7454

pjw7454

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic couple ex-L
I am not the best person to ask.. only had a Si for a few months.

Personally, I would recommend
(a) Using whatever Oil Honda says to use.
(b) Do not do the 1st oil change too early , something about the initial oil that Honda puts in to help break thing in.
(c) IF you can do oil change + filter changes yourself, DO Them yourself (and document them)
(forget about that 1st Dealer FREE Oil change, and the Free Scratchy Car Wash)
The less time a dealer is messing with your car, the less it risks being screwed up.
Far too many Horror stories about Dealers, including personal experience.

If someone else is going to work on my car, I want to know who they are up front, and be able to watch, at any time they have my car, as to what they are doing, and why.

NOT going to happen at a Dealership ..

Find yourself a Good, Trained, Experience Mechanic with good Honda Experience, build up a relationship with them, and be involved in anything that they do to your car.

My 2 cents
my dad is the experianced honda mechanic. but his specialty is body work and less engine work. but i am very wary of the dealership changing my oil cause theres a good chance they may just empty the oil, leave the old filter on, and dump cheap oil in it and wreck the shit out of my new engine. it only makes more money for them to do that.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
if it's a 2017 with the original oil in it. I would change it as you should change your oil at least once a year. oil is cheap

OP
OP
pjw7454

pjw7454

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic couple ex-L
if it's a 2017 with the original oil in it. I would change it as you should change your oil at least once a year. oil is cheap
it sat on the lot for 2 years. dont know how much that hurts or helps the oil. i know in older cars that it can wreck them.

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
it sat on the lot for 2 years. dont know how much that hurts or helps the oil. i know in older cars that it can wreck them.
Change your oil ASAP then... One year is the recommended limit.

It is advisable to replace the original oil subjected to engine break-in early, to better protect your engine. You'll be happy you did when witnessing the state of your original oil.

In 0W-20 synthetic oils, Quaker State Ultimate Durability is always a good choice. It performs remarkably well for its cost. https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Quaker-S...Dexos-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/196267502

OP
OP
pjw7454

pjw7454

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic couple ex-L
Change your oil ASAP then... One year is the recommended limit.

It is advisable to replace the original oil subjected to engine break-in early, to better protect your engine. You'll be happy you did when witnessing the state of your original oil.

In 0W-20 synthetic oils, Quaker State Ultimate Durability is always a good choice. It performs remarkably well for its cost. https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Quaker-S...Dexos-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/196267502
sry that original post was inaccurate. the sales guy said the cars arrive with a minimal amount of oil needed for basic use. they added oil last friday while i was filling out the paperwork so at least half the oil is new mixed with old.

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
sry that original post was inaccurate. the sales guy said the cars arrive with a minimal amount of oil needed for basic use. they added oil last friday while i was filling out the paperwork so at least half the oil is new mixed with old.
A minimal amount of oil required would be at least at lower mark on dipstick, so they cannot have added any more than one quart of new oil... Check the level yourself after it's completely cooled down and settled, then keep monitoring it periodically. It may progressively rise excessively, resulting from fuel dilution.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
These 1.5L stressed the oil alot, it only takes 3.7 Quarts of oil and it has a turbo. If I dont use the econ mode, the oil life meter will have me change oil every 4000 miles. my daily commute is 100% city driving.

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
Careful what the sales guys at the dealership says. They're not necessarily mechanics and don't necessarily know the car they're selling. Some might not know shit about oil. Their first priority is often to get the car out the lot.

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is the dumbest thing I've heard this week!

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Sometimes I wonder how do dealerships hire those sales guys, I mean, do they interview them at all? it feel likes the vast majority of them are just fucking retards. and then those buying the cars, how in the fuck do they get along owning the car when they believe such a nonsense? holy fucks guys, this is just plain ridiculous

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
Sometimes I wonder how do dealerships hire those sales guys, I mean, do they interview them at all? it feel likes the vast majority of them are just fucking retards. and then those buying the cars, how in the fuck do they get along owning the car when they believe such a nonsense? holy fucks guys, this is just plain ridiculous
Obviously I cannot speak for all dealerships in North America, but I can speak for the local dealerships in Saskatchewan. I have met dozens of salespeople, enough that I can make a generalization about the nature of salespeople here. The dealerships just hire anyone with a background in sales. I have seen people with degrees in math, no college degrees, biology, insurance sellers, all work as sales people. Just as interesting, the sales people find jobs at nearby dealerships and seem to switch work with regularity. A guy working at Toyota finds work at the BMW dealership across the street. They're there to sell cars.

And this shows, most salespeople I meet don't seem to know the stock they sell well enough. Ex) I walk into the BMW dealership and one salesfella tells me the remote park feature on the 7 series is unavailable in Canada and another salesfella tells me it is. I am not an expert on the 7 series, but when two associates working for the BMW tell me incompatible statements about the current year model, it makes my head scratch the way you scratch yours.

The problem seems to be that there is no professional association that sets standards for car salespeople. They're just there to ensure they meet their margins and sales targets. Damn if they don't know jack about their car, and damn if they don't read the training manual Honda sends them, just sell the car using interpersonal skills, that's what they're there for.

I wouldn't call them retards, that's a harsh word, a lot of them have degrees in scientific fields but just wound up working as car salespeople because the stars didn't align when they graduated and their careers didn't kick off the right way.
Sponsored