First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok, I'm not an idiot, I've done plenty of work on my older cars,from tuneups ,to suspensions, brakes etc.
But I really feel dumb asking this, I'm having a hard time reading my level on the dipstick. It's unlike any other I've seen, it's just a plastic orange piece with two cutouts. The oil is so thin and clear, that by the time I pull it up to look at it, it just seems it's run back down to the tip.
Is it just supposed to be somewhere between those cutouts, cause it doesn't say full or low or anything on it. God I hope someone else has this problem ,lol
Sponsored

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
it's a bit tricky to read it when oil is fresh. Although, the trick is to look at the dipstick at the angle so the light is being reflected and you can see the edge between part of the dipstick penetrated in the oil and non-penetrated. just make sure plastic part is bone dry before you stick it in

MarcOTT

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey - Civic - CRV
Country flag
it's a bit tricky to read it when oil is fresh. Although, the trick is to look at the dipstick at the angle so the light is being reflected and you can see the edge between part of the dipstick penetrated in the oil and non-penetrated. just make sure plastic part is bone dry before you stick it in
Yes, dry the end, orange tip and wipe all oil from the steel blade. Insert and check in good light, sighting the wet portion. Upon full service (oil and filter change) the level for my 2.0 L reads about 2/3 up from the tip, between the dots.

evped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Civic EXL
Country flag
Yes, dry the end, orange tip and wipe all oil from the steel blade. Insert and check in good light, sighting the wet portion. Upon full service (oil and filter change) the level for my 2.0 L reads about 2/3 up from the tip, between the dots.
Definitely, agree! I've been changing my own oil for 35 years(all Hondas) and since they've gone to plastic sticks - they are very difficult to read. I usually try it a few times and then just give up hoping that I've filled it to the correct level. Very frustrating.

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I found I have to look a little closer than on the old style dipsticks. Just have good lighting and it's easy to see where the oil stops, even with fresh oil.

MarcOTT

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey - Civic - CRV
Country flag
I found I have to look a little closer than on the old style dipsticks. Just have good lighting and it's easy to see where the oil stops, even with fresh oil.
I miss the old dip sticks with the cross- hatched area between the upper and lower marks (holes). Older dipsticks also better displayed due to heavier oil that formed a thicker film, new recommended, low viscosity synthetic oil is like . . . "water".
Just re-checked my 2.0 L engine oil level after changing filter/oil and running several miles and sitting overnight, level is about 1/2 between the upper and lower marks, I miss showing full oil change at the upper mark on my older Hondas.

Update;
Checked the oil level after a rapid trip through Vermont/New Hampshire and allowing the vehicle to sit overnight (as before) and the level is at the top mark . . . weird ?

Last edited:

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I miss the old dip sticks with the cross- hatched area between the upper and lower marks (holes). Older dipsticks also better displayed due to heavier oil that formed a thicker film, new recommended, low viscosity synthetic oil is like . . . "water".
Just re-checked my 2.0 L engine oil level after changing filter/oil and running several miles and sitting overnight, level is about 1/2 between the upper and lower marks, I miss showing full oil change at the upper mark on my older Hondas.

Update;
Checked the oil level after a rapid trip through Vermont/New Hampshire and allowing the vehicle to sit overnight (as before) and the level is at the top mark . . . weird ?

Yes, you are right, is not the dipstick it is the low viscosity oil ; on a stick, black sirup is easy to see than clear water

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Update;

To me you did not look carefully the first time to see half full ?

MarcOTT

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey - Civic - CRV
Country flag
To me you did not look carefully the first time to see half full ?
I did, wiped and dipped several times soon after the oil change, strange it was at the top notch when I drove over a day.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I did, wiped and dipped several times soon after the oil change, strange it was at the top notch when I drove over a day.

Something wrong if you first read half full at the dipstick
Sponsored