BlackbettyFk_7

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 hatchback sport
Country flag
Alright guys. So I've had the stupid software update from Honda and all. But the oil in my 1.5 t still wreaks of gas after a few thousand miles. I'm thinking of deviating from the 0w20 factory recommended oil. And using 5w30 instead. For better protection and for combating the oil dilution problem. Any thoughts? also I live in a climate where it gets very cold in the winter sometimes -35f. Does anyone think that the 5w30 would be bad in winter? Anyone done this yet?
Sponsored

SI_honda_2k17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
What symptom makes you believe you have a real issue with OD?

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
No worries on 5w30. I'm running it myself for quite some time now. If you're in a cold climate check on the oil's pour point to make sure 5w would work for you. Alternatively, you can choose to go 0w30. I live in Texas so winter rating is quite irrelevant in my case

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As read oil sub-forum some members say the very low clearance on engine parts need 0W-20.

5W30 oil work in cold climate. Did it work on Civic ?

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've been using 5W30, sometimes 0W30 for the last 3 1/2 years, no problems what so ever.
1- You could be right and i could be wrong
2- 3.5 years are too short to know
3- Or a engine test by a pro shop may see issue you don't see ?

Why Honda does not suggest this oil if it is the solution? They must have a reason!

Most people return their car to the dealer after 3 to 5 years. You could probably neglect the maintenance and it is only the next owner who will pay the price.

Last edited:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
"0W20 oil is formulated to improve fuel economy."
[Honda Civic 5 door Petrol Owners Manual]

That's the reason. Honda is telling the owners who live in the EU or the US that they should use 0W20 weight oil to meet their promised fuel consumption/mileage numbers.
Those who live in other countries, where Honda is not obliged to meet the fuel economy regulations, can use weight 30 oils, including even the once the most common weight, 10W30, if the temperature doesn't drop below -20 °C (-4 °F).
And this is also true for the turbo VTEC engines, which could be more oil viscosity-sensitive.

That's all there is to it, except one thing. Higher viscosity produces more heat (that's where the increased fuel consumption goes). More heat decreases the degree of fuel dilution.

I still use 0W20, but it's neither because of a bit better fuel economy, nor because it flows better into those "tight clearances." (if it flows better in, it also flows better out, and the point is not to keep the oil flowing fast, but to remain there). I pour 0W20 in my engine because it keeps the engine cooler, at least locally. Then, when I get some oil dilution, I replace some of the diluted 0W20 by 0W30 or 5W30.
When I did this last time, my oil dilution completely stopped, I presume because of higher local and average oil temperature.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
https://www.consumerreports.org/car...a-extends-warranty-on-troubled-turbo-engines/

Honda is extending the warranties on more than 1 million CR-V SUVs and Civic cars in the U.S. over complaints that gasoline can seep into the engine oil. That problem has raised concerns about the durability of the 1.5-liter turbo engine and about the vehicles potentially stalling, especially in cold weather.

Honda said last year that the turbo engine problems were mainly in extreme cold weather. But Consumer Reports has heard from CR-V owners experiencing difficulties in summer months and in California, Texas, and other warm-weather states.

http://www.hondaproblems.com/oil-dilution/

“Although Honda in China stated in a press release that this issue would not cause engine damage I believe my oil analysis report provides evidence to the contrary. I was told upon receiving my report that oil was at approximately 5% of the viscosity it should have and that the wear metals number should not be higher then 20. My number was 218. That’s insanely high. Honda has yet to respond to this oil analysis report.”

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

“Although Honda in China stated in a press release that this issue would not cause engine damage I believe my oil analysis report provides evidence to the contrary. I was told upon receiving my report that oil was at approximately 5% of the viscosity it should have and that the wear metals number should not be higher then 20. My number was 218. That’s insanely high. Honda has yet to respond to this oil analysis report.”
You keep quoting this source which has been already made fun of as being fake news. It also reports (in the same link) that "replacing the oil drain plug washer" is one of the Honda fixes for the oil dilution issue. :rofl: They don't even mention the oil change, but do mention replacing the drain plug washer, which is a proof that the text is written by idiots :crazy:who don't have any idea what they are talking about.

They also quote an alleged user whose oil viscosity dropped to 5% of what it should be. That is nonsense, because 5% of what the 0W20 oil viscosity should be, is less than the viscosity of typical pure gasoline. How mixing oil with fuel can give a mixture that is less viscous than pure fuel? I guess this Honda owner pumped fuel in his oil filler hole....:doh:

I'm sure Honda will never "respond" to this kind of junk "reports.":rolleyes1:

Whiting087

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic 2.0l 4D LX
Country flag
https://www.consumerreports.org/car...a-extends-warranty-on-troubled-turbo-engines/

Honda is extending the warranties on more than 1 million CR-V SUVs and Civic cars in the U.S. over complaints that gasoline can seep into the engine oil. That problem has raised concerns about the durability of the 1.5-liter turbo engine and about the vehicles potentially stalling, especially in cold weather.

Honda said last year that the turbo engine problems were mainly in extreme cold weather. But Consumer Reports has heard from CR-V owners experiencing difficulties in summer months and in California, Texas, and other warm-weather states.

Didn’t Scotty just discuss Honda’s new lighter oil to fix the dilution problem... due in May of next year?

OP
OP
BlackbettyFk_7

BlackbettyFk_7

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 hatchback sport
Country flag
Didn’t Scotty just discuss Honda’s new lighter oil to fix the dilution problem... due in May of next year?
I just saw that. Looking forward to seeing the results when it comes out.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The oil definitely seems to have something to do with oil dilution.

After draining the factory oil last year I refilled with M1 Ultimate 0W20. I always had some moderate oil dilution, which significantly decreased with abandoning the ECON mode and avoiding excessive idling on cold engine. Then during the OCI I replaced most of the oil with M1 AFE 0W30 via the dipstick tube. After that, the oil dilution stopped completely to zero.

Just recently I changed the oil for the second time again to fresh M1 Ultimate 0W20. Small oil dilution immediately returned. This will be likely my last fill with any 0W20, at least until they come up with the "new improved." But actually, I don't see why would I.

OP
OP
BlackbettyFk_7

BlackbettyFk_7

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 hatchback sport
Country flag
The oil definitely seems to have something to do with oil dilution.

After draining the factory oil last year I refilled with M1 Ultimate 0W20. I always had some moderate oil dilution, which significantly decreased with abandoning the ECON mode and avoiding excessive idling on cold engine. Then during the OCI I replaced most of the oil with M1 AFE 0W30 via the dipstick tube. After that, the oil dilution stopped completely to zero.

Just recently I changed the oil for the second time again to fresh M1 Ultimate 0W20. Small oil dilution immediately returned. This will be likely my last fill with any 0W20, at least until they come up with the "new improved." But actually, I don't see why would I.
So the ow30 completely stop your oil dilution? I went with amsoil oil 0w-20 for my last oil change definitely runs better but the fuel smell is back for sure.

Andre80

First Name
white civic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.5 sport +
Country flag
As read oil sub-forum some members say the very low clearance on engine parts need 0W-20.

5W30 oil work in cold climate. Did it work on Civic ?

my dealer at the first coupon mounted me 5w40, also included in the invoice
Sponsored