Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can anybody post the official Papers of the recall or of the service bulletin Honda did for the oil dilution ?
I need as much proof as possible to send over to Honda Belgium.
Sponsored

MrAmAzn

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Toyota Corolla, '12 Honda Pilot
Country flag
:rofl: You got me. Total Honda shill. :rofl:

My dealership doesn't even know I exist. I have taken my car back to them once for my first free oil change and that's the last they've heard of me. I do all my own work and my car has been problem free thus far.

My "narrow statements" are based from the data we're accumulating on this issue. I'm am so sick of seeing people like you on these forums screaming how bad fuel dilution is WITH ABSOLUTELY ZERO DATA TO BACK UP THAT CLAIM.

Please, I honestly mean this. Provide the community with some data that justifies these claims of fuel dilution causing engine problems. Until that actually happens, I'll keep repeating the findings of our collected data.

We now have 36 different samples collected and not one of them shows elevated wear metals or completely failed oil viscosity from fuel dilutions.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/oil-analysis-database.21607/#post-364703
Honest comments/questions for someone who knows just enough about car maintenance to get himself into trouble
- 36 samples seems like a pretty small sample size.
- Maybe I'm misreading, but it looks like the oil samples just show the mileage since last oil change and not how much mileage is on the car. Without knowledge of the later, would it be incorrect to assume there isn't any wear and tear on the engine (above the normal) over time?

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
2017 Si Sedan here, TSP Stg1, zero issues thus far. Used to do mostly highway driving and averaged well over 450 miles per tank occasionally over 500. Since Covid19 I now work from home 4 days a week, 1 day in the office, so most of my driving is local, plenty of short drives for errands, and the oil level on the stick looks fine to me. Sadly though I now get around 350 miles per tank, occasionally over 400.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Honest comments/questions for someone who knows just enough about car maintenance to get himself into trouble
- Maybe I'm misreading, but it looks like the oil samples just show the mileage since last oil change and not how much mileage is on the car. Without knowledge of the later, would it be incorrect to assume there isn't any wear and tear on the engine (above the normal) over time?
It's a small sample size but one that tells a fairly consistent story so far.
  • Wear metals remain low after initial break-in
  • Viscosity is within acceptable levels, despite some samples showing the presence of dilution
I'm cautiously optimistic until we start seeing readouts that suggest otherwise.

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not sure if this has been discussed before but don't check the oil after it's been sitting for hours, it will give a very high reading.,

Overnight - reading quite high
Honda Civic 10th gen Oil Dilution TSB 2421DDE8-25D8-43B9-B9A5-8E410C7B10B0

1 minute after starting and running for a couple minutes, the same conditions as when your filling oil during an oil change. That's a pretty big difference that can lead you into thinking there's a problem.
Honda Civic 10th gen Oil Dilution TSB 7FBAE757-225F-4060-9C6C-96C2CFF6D5AB

There's about 8,000 Km's on this oil and ran half a very cold winter in Northern Ontario, Timmins area

Last edited:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Why would 36 seem like a too small sample? It's small compared to what? You think all 1.5T civics or thousands need to be checked to find out the effect of typical dilution levels? These engines are practically identical. This is not drug or vaccine research. It's much, much simpler. You don't need a 9,000 civics "cohort."

Actually, based on these analyses it is correct to assume there isn't excessive wear and tear, because if there was, increased metal levels would show over several thousand miles. That's the point of these oil analyses. If done right, they are very sensitive to metal levels in oil. If an engine is not shedding metals over thousands of miles, it is not subject to unusual friction wear. Obviously, it would be hard to differentiate between an engine that will wear after 250k miles and one that will wear after 350k miles, but any unusual accelerated wear can be ruled out.

The more interesting question is: what is the physical basis for the suspicion that there would necessarily be a relevant increase of wear just because the oil viscosity decreased even to the next lower SAE weight below 20?

MrAmAzn

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Toyota Corolla, '12 Honda Pilot
Country flag
I'm not a mechanic or an engineer. It just made logical sense to me that if you have a product that is mass produced in 10s or 100s of thousands, 36 samples doesn't seem like a good enough representation of proving a problem doesn't exist.

Your oil analysis explanation, in terms I can understand, is refreshing though.

Dharmaboy

First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe white
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not sure if this has been discussed before but don't check the oil after it's been sitting for hours, it will give a very high reading.,

Overnight - reading quite high
2421DDE8-25D8-43B9-B9A5-8E410C7B10B0.jpeg

1 minute after starting and running for a couple minutes, the same conditions as when your filling oil during an oil change. That's a pretty big difference that can lead you into thinking there's a problem.
7FBAE757-225F-4060-9C6C-96C2CFF6D5AB.jpeg

There's about 8,000 Km's on this oil and ran half a very cold winter in Northern Ontario, Timmins area
I change my oil after every 6000km. The dealership looks at me like I am bananas but I am doing my due diligence in keep the oil as good as I can keep it. I only drive about 15k KM a year.

Hydrolic11

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX 1.5T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I change my oil after every 6000km. The dealership looks at me like I am bananas but I am doing my due diligence in keep the oil as good as I can keep it. I only drive about 15k KM a year.
I agree with you. Frequent (perhaps unnecessary) oil changes costs way less than replacing an engine potentially.

se7encrows

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Just called my dealer and my 2017 Civic Si isn’t covered under this recall. Looks like I’ll be doing my own oil change this go around.

OP
OP

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
I had the reflash done about a year ago.
This June I received a letter from Honda saying that he software update wasn't done right.

I went again and they said it's just a minor thing. No free oil change this time.

My car is tuned so I'm not familiar how the car drives on stock calibration but it seemed to me the rev hang wasn't as pronounced.

Anyone else here was required to go back after the reflash?

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
So I have my Honda at the dealership at the moment looking into this since I just drained 5.4quarts of oil (or other liquids) and have this noise coming from the crankcase:

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
So I have my Honda at the dealership at the moment looking into this since I just drained 5.4quarts of oil (or other liquids) and have this noise coming from the crankcase:

Well, that is an altogether disconcerting sound.

We have a 2020 CRV and I will definitely be checking the volume of liquid that comes out on the first change. I have checked the levels over the 6 months of owning it and so far, no extreme over-full issue. (I know that it was supposedly fully fixed on the CRVs from 2019 on but I have trust issues)

Looking in the manual for the 2020 CRV, it states to fill the oil only to between the two marks on the dipstick so I will very likely be doing that when I do the first change this spring/summer. When you did your last change, did you fill it to only between the two marks? The manual for the 2017 Civics, like the manual for the 2020 CRVs also says to fill to between and not to the top. I don't worry in my Civic as I have a 2.0NA. I will be a lot more careful with the CRV though.

As for your noise, the only guess I would have is oil pump? No idea.