Oil Dilution TSB

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Exactly, wanted to ask this question in the tuning section for a long time.
I understood that a big part of the cause is Honda tuning the engine for emissions in the first place and then fuel economy and performance.
If that, a good tune should improve things.
What aspect of tuning for cleaner emissions leads to oil dilution?
Sponsored

OP
OP

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
Can't remember, read that somewhere, maybe templeofvtec? Something to do with meeting CARB requirements.
Also rev hang is for emissions.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well going Direct Injection (which is a leading cause of oil dilution) is done strictly to meet clean emissions standards it can burn leaner which improves MPGs and reduces emissions at low loads.

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
Honda UK deny any knowledge of this, they say they have not recieved any complaints and deny the problem exists, we will see what happen here this side of the pond.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
I've been tuned since day 1 and 5 miles on my civic SI and my oil levels stay the same and my first oil change did not reak of gas when I first did it at 3k miles. Unlike my stock 3000 mile oil change on my previous EX-T.

I take it for tuned cars and CRV's included this is not an issue. The problem has to do with the tune during warmup/closed loop iirc EXT and CRV's use a maf.v maf sensor with lower resolution compared to the SI's maf. hz too.

And the SI is always in open loop even when cold.

@KTuner does this make sense?

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I've been tuned since day 1 and 5 miles on my civic SI and my oil levels stay the same and my first oil change did not reak of gas when I first did it at 3k miles. Unlike my stock 3000 mile oil change on my previous EX-T.

I take it for tuned cars and CRV's included this is not an issue. The problem has to do with the tune during warmup/closed loop iirc EXT and CRV's use a maf.v maf sensor with lower resolution compared to the SI's maf. hz too.

And the SI is always in open loop even when cold.

@KTuner does this make sense?
What tune are you running?

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
had vit stage one then tsp stage 1 at 12k miles

MTBhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Just check my vin# online if there is a recall on my hatch and sure enough there is one that is related to oil dellution. I have an appoinment in 6 days from now. Anybody got their recall done recently? What kind of work they did? How long did it take?

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Just check my vin# online if there is a recall on my hatch and sure enough there is one that is related to oil dellution. I have an appoinment in 6 days from now. Anybody got their recall done recently? What kind of work they did? How long did it take?
Mine is getting done on Jan 14th. They said it would take 2-3 hours. They change the oil, change a part on the AC unit and do a software update.

MTBhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Mine is getting done on Jan 14th. They said it would take 2-3 hours. They change the oil, change a part on the AC unit and do a software update.
Nice! Just before my roadtrip.

WhiteCastleKid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Hey, just got the call from the dealer, TSB released today....Anyone know how involved the AC unit is to replace, hate total dash teardown.....They ordered my part today.....

PS is this a TSB or Recall....

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey, just got the call from the dealer, TSB released today....Anyone know how involved the AC unit is to replace, hate total dash teardown.....They ordered my part today.....

PS is this a TSB or Recall....
Dealer did my car in under 90 minutes. Can’t be a whole lot of tear down to complete in that time.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Last week the CRV owners in north China started the protests out of the dealership again, claiming the oil level is still raising after the recall.
I am going in for oil change today or tomorrow, the update worked on my engine because my level is still correct at the max or slightly below but here it is still warm, usually over 20•C during the day.

WhiteCastleKid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Last week the CRV owners in north China started the protests out of the dealership again, claiming the oil level is still raising after the recall.
I am going in for oil change today or tomorrow, the update worked on my engine because my level is still correct at the max or slightly below but here it is still warm, usually over 20•C during the day.
I was told the all GDI engines will have some oil dilution. I just hope that this fix gets it down inline with other manufactures.
Sponsored