Oil Dilution TSB

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Coupe touring WOP Toyota T4R '06
here's how I deal with dilution and rising oil levels:

1.) doubled the grade to a 0/40
2.) siphon off (done thru the dipstick hole) one quart when it rises by .5 qt. then add .5qt fresh.

here at 46 degrees north I'll do this 2-3 times per OCI during the 6 cold months..once you have the equipment the process takes 10min.

all good.
Sponsored

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Coupe touring WOP Toyota T4R '06

2.) siphon off (done thru the dipstick hole) one quart when it rises by .5 qt. then add .5qt fresh.

here at 46 degrees north I'll do this 2-3 times per OCI during the 6 cold months..once you have the equipment the process takes 10min.

all good.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag

all good.
Interesting. How long is your OCI? How many times during your OCI do you complete this procedure? What do you use to siphon?

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I believe the fuel dilution was by design for the turbo versions. The fuel acts as a solvent and keeps the intercooler and other parts clean and 'sludge free'. I have no issue with it since there are no excessive wear particles in my oil analysis.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I believe the fuel dilution was by design for the turbo versions. The fuel acts as a solvent and keeps the intercooler and other parts clean and 'sludge free'. I have no issue with it since there are no excessive wear particles in my oil analysis.
Oils are full of detergents these days. Nobody is designing cars to use gasoline to clean things.

I completely agree with your last sentence tho. My analysis are coming back and proving my AMSOIL 0w20 is holding up just fine with 10,000mi changes. I actually have yet to see any of the oil analysis reports to show dangerous levels of viscosity with any oil. The Honda oil is definitely showing the lowest viscosity, but it's still doing it's job.

OP
OP

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag

all good.
What is higher viscosity oil helping with this issue?
Does it evaporate less or just because can take dilution and still be closer to speck viscosity vise?

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What is higher viscosity oil helping with this issue?
Does it evaporate less or just because can take dilution and still be closer to speck viscosity vise?
I'd take anything Dblshock says with a grain of salt. This guy was pouring diesel oil additives in his gas tank. He has absolutely no data to back up anything he says either. He got laughed out of the Bobtheoilguy forums and landed here.

Look for the thread "upgraded to 5w30" if you want to see all the nonsense he's done/says.

Last edited:

HatchorNada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic Hatch
Here is the most salient point out of that article/click above..
According to the plaintiffs, Honda has concealed its knowledge the Earth Dreams engines are prone to defects that cause fuel to enter the engine oil, damaging the bearings and engines permanently. Decreased oil viscosity and premature wear allegedly cause the CR-V SUVs and Civic cars to stall and fail while driving.

What I found interesting is if you feel like it is stalling, is it time to change oil?

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No. The engine goes in limp mode if the oil reaches a certain (very high) level, it is designed to do so to avoid any damage.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Here is the most salient point out of that article/click above..
According to the plaintiffs, Honda has concealed its knowledge the Earth Dreams engines are prone to defects that cause fuel to enter the engine oil, damaging the bearings and engines permanently. Decreased oil viscosity and premature wear allegedly cause the CR-V SUVs and Civic cars to stall and fail while driving.

What I found interesting is if you feel like it is stalling, is it time to change oil?
You should look at the results from Blackstone oil analysis from forum members. Search if interested

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No. The engine goes in limp mode if the oil reaches a certain (very high) level, it is designed to do so to avoid any damage.
I'd be interested to hear your take on this, seeing you're from China where most of these complaints are coming from.

Looking at the oil analysis we're collecting, I'm not seeing this imminent catastrophic failure everybody thinks the fuel in the oil is causing. While the Honda oil is the lowest quality oil in the analysis, I'm not seeing any elevated wear metals and the viscosity shows the oil is still performing when changed (never over MM).

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd be interested to hear your take on this, seeing you're from China where most of these complaints are coming from.

Looking at the oil analysis we're collecting, I'm not seeing this imminent catastrophic failure everybody thinks the fuel in the oil is causing. While the Honda oil is the lowest quality oil in the analysis, I'm not seeing any elevated wear metals and the viscosity shows the oil is still performing when changed (never over MM).
I live in the south, where there is no real winter, so I didn't really have anything wrong on my car, except a maximum of 3mm more oil on the dipstick. so I am just glad I got a free ECU update and 2 oil changes anyway.
In China the MM is fixed at 5000 km, so we further reduce the risk of damages.

OP
OP

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
I live in the south, where there is no real winter, so I didn't really have anything wrong on my car, except a maximum of 3mm more oil on the dipstick. so I am just glad I got a free ECU update and 2 oil changes anyway.
In China the MM is fixed at 5000 km, so we further reduce the risk of damages.
Might have been mentioned in this thread and I missed it. What is the recommended oil in Asia, or China, more specifically?

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Might have been mentioned in this thread and I missed it. What is the recommended oil in Asia, or China, more specifically?
Same as North America, 0w20 but we have to change it every 5000km.
Sponsored