Oil Dilution TSB

tgags

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4
Would anyone recommend waiting for the 2019 Civics? You would think Honda would be working on this problem for the new release, no?

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Would anyone recommend waiting for the 2019 Civics? You would think Honda would be working on this problem for the new release, no?
I think the vast majority of the Civics out there are fine, judging by the number of complaints on Civic forums vs CRV forums. I have talked to Honda Canada a couple of times over the phone, and the latest scoop is that they are aware of the problem, but the magnitude of it is unknown (or insignificant). With that said, they are still in the process of investigating the problem.

yyalb

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 gen Civic Si
Country flag
The fuel dilution does make the oil deterioate faster than expected.
At 13k miles, just finished my 3rd oil change with duration of 4100 miles. I'd say right after the oil change the engine feels way better than before. It is much more willing to rev up and feels much smoother. The jerky feel between shifts disappeared. It seeems the OEM honda sythetic blend oil cannot hold up this long, even though the maintenance minder still says 50% of oil life. My solution is just to use good full sythetic oil and change it more often, say 3500 mi.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
The fuel dilution does make the oil deterioate faster than expected.
At 13k miles, just finished my 3rd oil change with duration of 4100 miles. I'd say right after the oil change the engine feels way better than before. It is much more willing to rev up and feels much smoother. The jerky feel between shifts disappeared. It seeems the OEM honda sythetic blend oil cannot hold up this long, even though the maintenance minder still says 50% of oil life. My solution is just to use good full sythetic oil and change it more often, say 3500 mi.
I used to change my WRX every 3k with Full Synthetic(Mobil 1/Royal Purple/Eneos). While I knew it was "wasteful" to be changing it so often, it was also erring on the side of caution.

yyalb

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 gen Civic Si
Country flag
I used to change my WRX every 3k with Full Synthetic(Mobil 1/Royal Purple/Eneos). While I knew it was "wasteful" to be changing it so often, it was also erring on the side of caution.
Agreed. For SI it is 0w20, so the oil film can get extremely thin at high temp. Only when the oil is clean I can have fun driving it with no worries.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dongfeng Honda just released the official recall for 300,000 Civic 1.5t, the fix is the same as the CRV: ECU update, climate control module replacement and for CVT cars the transmission cooler will be replaced and transmission software updated. I guess i will be contacted soon.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dongfeng Honda just released the official recall for 300,000 Civic 1.5t, the fix is the same as the CRV: ECU update, climate control module replacement and for CVT cars the transmission cooler will be replaced and transmission software updated. I guess i will be contacted soon.

edit: 1 Hour after the official news I received a message with the instructions to take an appointment and a free oil service coupon. They also added lifetime warranty on main engine components.

OP
OP

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
edit: 1 Hour after the official news I received a message with the instructions to take an appointment and a free oil service coupon. They also added lifetime warranty on main engine components.
Thanks for the update.
Two unknowns. Is there be a reduction in power?
Will other markets get it?

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Yikes

Do you have a link to the press release regarding the recall?

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
sure: http://www.dongfeng-honda.com/recall_into.shtml?where=662

Please remember that Dongfeng Honda is an independent company and its cars are manufactured in China with different specifications and parts suppliers from the ones sold in the rest of the world, so the problem may not actually be present on your cars or this fix may not solve the issue.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag