First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was reading yesterday a 2020 car buying guide.
Regarding the Civic, the journalist advised against (still) the purchase of the turbo engine whose problem of oil dilution is not yet resolved by Honda
This must generate a ton of ad revenue for journalists... It doesn't make sense how the Civic is the poster child of fuel dilution. Every single direct injection car does this...

So the 2020 car buyer guide I read is wrong !
Yes. They usually are.
Sponsored

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
you dont resolve oil dilution on a di engine. you minimize it which Honda's update was supposed to do. Have you seen the thread of oil analysis on this website. 99% of them show no excessive oil dilution outside of expected dilution.
Even the ones that show over 5% dilution, which is the limit that Oil Analyzers can measure, do not show any increase in wear metals. Cheaper oils do show viscosity drops, but with wear metals not climbing the oil is still doing it's job.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
This must generate a ton of ad revenue for journalists... It doesn't make sense how the Civic is the poster child of fuel dilution. Every single direct injection car does this...

Yes. They usually are.
I disagree, they are usually right

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
From what I read earlier in the year, the oil dilution was minimized / reduced via software on the 2016 ~ 2018 models.
There was a physical hardware change on the 2019 (and forward) to fix the oil dilution problem.

And yes, Direct Injection engines will naturally exhibit *SOME* oil dilution.

Some people smelled heavy gasoline in their engine oil...but I had very faint smell of gasoline with my 2018 Hatchback.
Bought in April 2018, did the oil dilution recall in February 2019...along with the 1st MM oil change.

OP
OP

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
Oil change is included free as part of the update. The only thing that they may make you pay for is the oil filter, but you can usually negotiate for them to throw that in for free.
Wow, I spoke yesterday to a sales person at the dealership and was told there was no free oil change with this TSB. Which dealer did it for you?
Thanks for the reply.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, I spoke yesterday to a sales person at the dealership and was told there was no free oil change with this TSB. Which dealer did it for you?
Thanks for the reply.
The oil change is part of the TSB and should be free. The oil filter is not, so that would come out of pocket.

OP
OP

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The oil change is part of the TSB and should be free. The oil filter is not, so that would come out of pocket.
That is what I have learned and was surprised when told otherwise. I thought the free oil change might be offered in the US only.
Checked the letter I received from Honda and the oil change is not mentioned. So if I was to go and they tell me is not included I have nothing to show...

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
There was a physical hardware change on the 2019 (and forward) to fix the oil dilution problem.
What was this Physical change, and were did you get that information from ?

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What was this Physical change, and were did you get that information from ?
On older models They replaced the AC module to match the newer version on some 18s and all 19s. It does not in fact "fix" the oil dilution problem. It merely helps mitigate the dilution.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
On older models They replaced the AC module to match the newer version on some 18s and all 19s. It does not in fact "fix" the oil dilution problem. It merely helps mitigate the dilution.
Thanks, so this is the AC Module, either being replaced, or re-programmed, so that the engine warms up faster (at the expense of heating the passenger compartment).

I am assuming that my mid/later 2018 Si still has the older AC Module, or maybe the newer one, that has not been updated .. but, the car seems to only have very minor Oil dilution--- at a level that one might expect from a DI engine. Oil level remains constant after oil change, and there is very little smell of gas on the dipstick.

so
So signs of an OD problem
Passenger compartment warms up quickly - something I do not want to loose.
A/C works well out of both driver & passenger vents.
No odd noises.
Head unit works without any issues .. may not be optimum design, but it is working without any odd issues, and AA auto remains connected Solid 100% all of the time - and Bluetooth works fine as well.

CONDENSER (so far) shows no signs of any damage, but I do intend to fit a HD stone guard mod to it soon, to add some protection.
If the Condenser fails, it will NOT be because of Road Debris damage, it will be because the Condenser is weak and not robust enough for it's intended purpose.

So, as far as I am concerned, the Car was fine when it left the factory, and it is still fine without any needs for any Dealer attempted updates.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE - DON'T FIX IT

or , more appropriately for a Honda Civic

IF IT AIN'T BROKE - DON'T PAY A DEALER TO BREAK IT.

SCcivic

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 300zx 2012 Corolla S 2018 Civic Hatchback 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
Even the ones that show over 5% dilution, which is the limit that Oil Analyzers can measure, do not show any increase in wear metals. Cheaper oils do show viscosity drops, but with wear metals not climbing the oil is still doing it's job.
are you getting kickbacks from Honda? or maybe trying to stay in good faith with your dealership? I've followed your posts for quite some times and you always say the most narrow statements possible.

We all know DI engines dilute the engine with gas. What we don't like is the excessive amounts of gas that get dumped into the oil. now I'm not saying its happening to every Honda turbo DI engine, but amounts over the Honda specified limits should not be happening at all.

If your argument is "well you know these engines are designed to dump fuel into the oil you know, Its a DI engine you know." Maybe Honda should have that written down in the Owners manual stating that colder climates will cause excessive fuel to mix with the oil. That way the owner knows, Hey maybe I should change my oil more often than the recommended intervals.

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the reply.
Honda Downtown in Toronto. My notice indicated that an oil change was included free of charge.

OP
OP

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honda Downtown in Toronto. My notice indicated that an oil change was included free of charge.
Great. Found out in the meantime someone else had it done there. Closest dealer to my location too.
I'll book it for next week.
Thank you.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
are you getting kickbacks from Honda? or maybe trying to stay in good faith with your dealership? I've followed your posts for quite some times and you always say the most narrow statements possible.

We all know DI engines dilute the engine with gas. What we don't like is the excessive amounts of gas that get dumped into the oil. now I'm not saying its happening to every Honda turbo DI engine, but amounts over the Honda specified limits should not be happening at all.

If your argument is "well you know these engines are designed to dump fuel into the oil you know, Its a DI engine you know." Maybe Honda should have that written down in the Owners manual stating that colder climates will cause excessive fuel to mix with the oil. That way the owner knows, Hey maybe I should change my oil more often than the recommended intervals.
:rofl: You got me. Total Honda shill. :rofl:

My dealership doesn't even know I exist. I have taken my car back to them once for my first free oil change and that's the last they've heard of me. I do all my own work and my car has been problem free thus far.

My "narrow statements" are based from the data we're accumulating on this issue. I'm am so sick of seeing people like you on these forums screaming how bad fuel dilution is WITH ABSOLUTELY ZERO DATA TO BACK UP THAT CLAIM.

Please, I honestly mean this. Provide the community with some data that justifies these claims of fuel dilution causing engine problems. Until that actually happens, I'll keep repeating the findings of our collected data.

We now have 36 different samples collected and not one of them shows elevated wear metals or completely failed oil viscosity from fuel dilutions.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/oil-analysis-database.21607/#post-364703

Last edited:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
:rofl: You got me. Total Honda shill. :rofl:

My dealership doesn't even know I exist. I have taken my car back to them once for my first free oil change and that's the last they've heard of me. I do all my own work and my car has been problem free thus far.

My "narrow statements" are based from the data we're accumulating on this issue. I'm am so sick of seeing people like you on these forums screaming how bad fuel dilution is WITH ABSOLUTELY ZERO DATA TO BACK UP THAT CLAIM.

Please, I honestly mean this. Provide the community with some data that justifies these claims of fuel dilution causing engine problems. Until that actually happens, I'll keep repeating the findings of our collected data.

We now have 36 different samples collected and not one of them shows elevated wear metals or completely failed oil viscosity from fuel dilutions.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/oil-analysis-database.21607/#post-364703
ahahahahha. Every single time someone on facebook says, " I sniffed my oil and its smells of gas" or "These cars have bad dilution should I be worried" I just explain how this works, screenshot an oil analysis and link them to the the oil analysis thread and point out that not a single one has shown the oil shearing down or losing protection, even on the few who have more than expected dilution. They usually shut up and dont reply after that
Sponsored