Oil Dilution TSB

Whimsey12000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring MSM
Country flag
So they told me it is the condenser. It just seems weird to me that so many people who have had this update done now have an issue with the condenser? I’m lucky because I purchased the Honda plus warranty so none of this costs me.
Sponsored

Whimsey12000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring MSM
Country flag
More than likely they were the ones to damage the condenser, or even did some BS to make your A/C not work then quote you a $1600 repair bill to make up for the free recall.
I've seen other posts of people having to get the same "repair" done for these cars. I guess the vents in the front don't do a good job preventing debris from hitting the condensers and end up putting small holes in them. A lot of people are saying it is a design flaw on Hondas part and that it should be covered under warranty.

My GF got a brand new 2017 Civic EXT and her A/C wasn't properly charged from the factory. She had the car for 2 weeks and the A/C never blew cold, even with econ mode off.
They recharged her A/C for free and it works a little better. But $1600 is fucking insane.
I just picked up my car after getting this done. The service rep told me they have 5 Civics in to be done for the exact same issue this week!!?? He stated he wouldn’t be surprised if a recall comes out soon

Dharmaboy

First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe white
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I live in a -20C to -30C climate in the winters. I figured with this oil dilution issue I am going to skip buying a starter and just get in the habbit of hopping in the car, wait for the rpms to drop and then drive it. Also plan to do the Italian tune up regularly when I start to play hockey which is a good 30min drive doing over a 100KM/H.

bumbobee

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback LX CVT
Country flag
I live in a -20C to -30C climate in the winters. I figured with this oil dilution issue I am going to skip buying a starter and just get in the habbit of hopping in the car, wait for the rpms to drop and then drive it. Also plan to do the Italian tune up regularly when I start to play hockey which is a good 30min drive doing over a 100KM/H.
I'm in Canada too, Toronto. So how is the car in the winter? I got a 2019 Hatchback 1.5 CVT

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
I’m getting the recall done next week. I found this season, it’s second winter, when using the remote starter you could smell quite a bit of gas fumes...

Dharmaboy

First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm in Canada too, Toronto. So how is the car in the winter? I got a 2019 Hatchback 1.5 CVT
I will have it for my first winter in 2019. Like Troy said, starters on these engines might not be a good way to go unless you start it and hop into it after 45 seconds and then drive it to get it to operating temps quickly. Honestly most GDI's do have fuel going into the crankcase but not as much as Honda.

Keep the short trips to the minimum. Italian Tune Ups and don't wait for over 5K Kms to change your oil. Just do it often no matter what the dealer says. I think some of the people who are experiencing higher than normal oil levels and who are getting check engine lights could be running on the contaminated oil longer ie What Honda suggests.

I kinda knew this was an issue going in but I drive only 10k-12k Km a year. Probably good to keep the Oil changed often as well to stop the dreaded GDI build up on the intake valves. Next spring I plan on doing the CRC cleaner for that myself.

bumbobee

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback LX CVT
Country flag
I will have it for my first winter in 2019. Like Troy said, starters on these engines might not be a good way to go unless you start it and hop into it after 45 seconds and then drive it to get it to operating temps quickly. Honestly most GDI's do have fuel going into the crankcase but not as much as Honda.

Keep the short trips to the minimum. Italian Tune Ups and don't wait for over 5K Kms to change your oil. Just do it often no matter what the dealer says. I think some of the people who are experiencing higher than normal oil levels and who are getting check engine lights could be running on the contaminated oil longer ie What Honda suggests.

I kinda knew this was an issue going in but I drive only 10k-12k Km a year. Probably good to keep the Oil changed often as well to stop the dreaded GDI build up on the intake valves. Next spring I plan on doing the CRC cleaner for that myself.
CRC engine cleaner? Like spray the intake manifold? Do you guys ever run fuel treatment cleaners? I know KIA they actually recommend running those cleaners as a regular part of maintenance.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
It's likely unrelated. There's well-documented issues with the A/C in the 10th gen civics. I coincidentally had the same thing happen to my A/C right before getting it in for this work. Sadly, I'm a few thousand miles and 4 months out of warranty. They are doing a recharge and replacing the A/C condenser in there.
So this is interesting... I have been putting lots of info and followup into the thread regarding whistle noise from the AC and today, after a purge and recharge not fixing it, the tech noticed that the condenser was not in good shape and they are warrantying that part out next week. So far, no stealership shenanigans as all I have had to pay for from the current 3 visits is a replacement air filter for the climate system that was legit plugged up with chipping dust.

I have to wonder how long this is going to go before it is a straight up replacement campaign type TSB.

So they told me it is the condenser. It just seems weird to me that so many people who have had this update done now have an issue with the condenser? I’m lucky because I purchased the Honda plus warranty so none of this costs me.
Considering me finding out during a noise related investigation that my condenser is on it's last leg and they are warrantying it out... I would say that there is more and more of a growing issue with the condensers in the 16-18 Civics (At least in the sedans).

Dharmaboy

First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
CRC engine cleaner? Like spray the intake manifold? Do you guys ever run fuel treatment cleaners? I know KIA they actually recommend running those cleaners as a regular part of maintenance.
Yeah you spray the CRC Intake Valve and Turbo cleaner into the air intake but Past the MAF sensor as it will corrode the elements of the MAF so you have to be careful. there are a few videos online show how to do this. I haven't seen any 2019s having this issue yet on Youtube.

As for the Oil Dilution issue, I just plan on letting the car warm up for 30 or 40 seconds and then driving it right away even in winter. Pretty sure the 2019s got the patch. I plan on checking my oil level all the time and changing my oil regularly before the recommended time.

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
Was surprised when I got a letter from HONDA saying I would get an extra year of warranty on my 2018 Si due to oil dilution (that I no longer own).

OP
OP

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
Is everyone getting a free oil change with this? My coworker up here in Canada had to pay for the oil...

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is everyone getting a free oil change with this? My coworker up here in Canada had to pay for the oil...
Oil change is included free as part of the update. The only thing that they may make you pay for is the oil filter, but you can usually negotiate for them to throw that in for free.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was reading yesterday a 2020 car buying guide.
Regarding the Civic, the journalist advised against (still) the purchase of the turbo engine whose problem of oil dilution is not yet resolved by Honda

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was reading yesterday a 2020 car buying guide.
Regarding the Civic, the journalist advised against (still) the purchase of the turbo engine whose problem of oil dilution is not yet resolved by Honda
you dont resolve oil dilution on a di engine. you minimize it which Honda's update was supposed to do. Have you seen the thread of oil analysis on this website. 99% of them show no excessive oil dilution outside of expected dilution.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So the 2020 car buyer guide I read is wrong !
Sponsored