First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I received the letter as well. back when they were intially doing the TSB i got an email from honda but my dealer told me it was only for cold weather states and my vin wasn't listed. sometime last year they extended it to all 50 states. this i did not know. So, apparently you can call your dealer and request the "product update" to fix for issue which includes:
  1. Software updates to the transmission control module and electronic fuel injection system.
  2. Replacing a drain plug washer
  3. Replacing the climate control unit (in some cases)
  4. A fresh oil change
I literally just found this out tonight and plan to call my dealer in the morning and ask. Problem is, im running catless DP and am tuned. would have to swap out my DP, ( P.I. T.A.) and flash to stock if i get the update. I don't experience any gas smell or increased oil levels and I change my oil every 5k anyway regardless of MM so i am not sure if i'll get it or not..... I mostly dont feel like crawling under the car and changing the DP out twice in two days : /
Where did you hear they changed it to all 50 states. Last time I asked my dealer about it, maybe 6 months ago, the said my vin wasn't listed. I never even got a letter despite calling Honda and telling them, still no be letter.
Sponsored

swanarg

TheSwanwar
First Name
Anwar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok, I did get the warranty extension after talking to Honda, but they still told me my car wasnt listed to get any of the software updates due to not being in a " cold state" despite the fact that we get temps down in the 20 's where in live in the winter.
Am I missing something or are they not being honest?

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag

swanarg

TheSwanwar
First Name
Anwar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok, I did get the warranty extension after talking to Honda, but they still told me my car wasnt listed to get any of the software updates due to not being in a " cold state" despite the fact that we get temps down in the 20 's where in live in the winter.
Am I missing something or are they not being honest?
it depends if the dealer knows what they are talking about or not. I’m sure they’ll try to give out as few free service appointments as possible. And while you may not be in a cold state, it applies to ALL of our 1.5T 16-18. So they need to give us the update.When I asked my dealer last year they said the same thing. Haven’t tried since. I don’t have any of the symptoms of oil dilution but if there’s a fix, regardless of weather, we are eligible.

Rustlinjimmies

First Name
Meh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Was doing my side markers and when I was done I was cleaning up and for fun figured id check my oil and the level was slightly high and the oil had a fuel smell to it, I know this issue should have been addressed by the 2019 models but idk kind of left me uneasy when the dipstick had a strong aroma of fuel.

swanarg

TheSwanwar
First Name
Anwar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Was doing my side markers and when I was done I was cleaning up and for fun figured id check my oil and the level was slightly high and the oil had a fuel smell to it, I know this issue should have been addressed by the 2019 models but idk kind of left me uneasy when the dipstick had a strong aroma of fuel.
dang! You have a 2019 and noticed that? Definitely check in with the dealer on that one. Are you in cold weather? My 2018 hasn’t had any issues so far. I have around 26k on the odometer but I’m in SoCal. Only symptom I have is the exhaust smelling but I run catless ?

swanarg

TheSwanwar
First Name
Anwar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Whoever wrote this text, including the drain plug washer replacement as one of the four Honda's remedies for oil dilution, :rofl: has no clue, no business writing on this topic, and is not worth quoting. He forgot to mention wiping the dipstick carefully.
Honda protocol says you are supposed to change the crush washer every time your change the oil. But I see your point. It’s definitely not a remedy haha.

Dealers can be pretty uptight about warrantees and service bulletins. The extended warranty was applied to all 50 states as reassurance to those in warm weather states that it’s a “non issue”. If you are experiencing symptoms, even in a warm weather state, you should to be able to request the update.

I feel like that would be a big liability for them if you had symptoms and they denied you the update. I can say however that they denied me the update last year but again, I dont have symptoms. Anyone on here in a warm state have symptoms and been denied the update? info on this would be helpful.

Rustlinjimmies

First Name
Meh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
dang! You have a 2019 and noticed that? Definitely check in with the dealer on that one. Are you in cold weather? My 2018 hasn’t had any issues so far. I have around 26k on the odometer but I’m in SoCal. Only symptom I have is the exhaust smelling but I run catless ?
only thing I have is a tsp stage 1 tune currently on my Si but gonna change my oil soon and send it out to a lab see what they say. It might be me just over thinking it but I’ve never smelled a dipstick stink like that and I work around cars all day long for work. And I live in So Cal too so definitely not that cold here lol

swanarg

TheSwanwar
First Name
Anwar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
only thing I have is a tsp stage 1 tune currently on my Si but gonna change my oil soon and send it out to a lab see what they say. It might be me just over thinking it but I’ve never smelled a dipstick stink like that and I work around cars all day long for work. And I live in So Cal too so definitely not that cold here lol
dang. Yeah I run tap stage 1 also. But never had an issue with oil smell or level. I’m gonna go check my dipstick now LoL ?

Rustlinjimmies

First Name
Meh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
dang. Yeah I run tap stage 1 also. But never had an issue with oil smell or level. I’m gonna go check my dipstick now LoL ?
Not really an oil smell the dipstick just smells like raw fuel I’m like hm that’s can’t be good. If it continues to get worse I’ll take to a dealer I’m only at 20k miles so I’m still at the bumper to bumper. Good thing I bought the extended warranty too lmao

ulieq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Coupe 2019
Country flag
My 2017 CRV engine stalled and blew up at 27000 due to dilution.

swanarg

TheSwanwar
First Name
Anwar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not really an oil smell the dipstick just smells like raw fuel I’m like hm that’s can’t be good. If it continues to get worse I’ll take to a dealer I’m only at 20k miles so I’m still at the bumper to bumper. Good thing I bought the extended warranty too lmao
I should have clarified, oil smelling like gas
My 2017 CRV engine stalled and blew up at 27000 due to dilution.
wow, yikes! Did you have any early warning signs? I assume it was covered under warranty? Even still that’s crazy. I’m sure a lot of us would have bought a different car if you told us, “btw these can have oil dilution issues which can lead to engine failure, still want it”?

I guess that’s what the law suit is about. You can opt out and/or request your own demands, but good luck getting a buy back for example. Would probably need to hire an attorney and battle it out costing you even more money. Honda really dropped the ball here.
Sponsored