Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Today's mail

15844069094955948233459785190782.jpg
I got it. But read what you posted. That limited warranty extension and product update are already part of the Honda fix for 16-18 model owners. This "settlement" doesn't really amount to much beyond that.

solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6MT
Country flag
I got it. But read what you posted. That limited warranty extension and product update are already part of the Honda fix for 16-18 model owners. This "settlement" doesn't really amount to much beyond that.
Yup, not much there. Technically it is a settlement. I read through it and it basically boils down to do nothing and accept the extended warranty, but you also waive all rights to sue Honda. Or you don’t accept the warranty and keep your rights to sue Honda in the future.

The settlement is your acceptance of the extended warranty.

HowdyPete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Coupe
Country flag
But what about the original, alleged problem - fuel diluting the engine oil?
If true, it is happening every time the car is driven.
Outside of the lawyer's concerns, what is the effect on my Civic's engine?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
My take is just make sure you get the engine up to normal operating temps and change the oil on time. You should be OK.

2017touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring (Black on Black); 2018 Mustang GT
Country flag
I have a 2017 Civic Touring I purchased with 21K miles. I am at 26.5K miles now and changed the car oil at 24K and after 2.5K miles, the oil went up by 2mm-3mm it seems. Oil level was right at the top hole on the dipstick and it's definitely higher after 2500 miles. This car is driven 60-80 miles a day. Most trips are 20-30 miles long so the short-trip thing is not the reason for oil dilution. I live in VA and in the last month the car has been driven with the new oil our average temp has been on the warmer side for this time of year. I don't really know what to do at this point other than stick to changing the oil every 5000 miles or so. What kind of long term damage is this causing to the engine is unknown. Only time will tell as I do plan to keep the car for another 5 years or 120K miles.

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got this for my 2016 I no longer own. I wish I could transfer the extended warranty to the 2019 Si lol

kaivorth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I just got this too. I'm going to exclude myself from this lawsuit. The extended warranty is pretty much useless. It's a wear issue, issue will crop up later, not now. I bought this car to be dependable in the long run.

Don't know if it's worth getting my own lawyer, but I'm going to demand one of 3 things:

A buyback at purchase price.
New car value minus my blue book value as a cash settlement.
Trade me up to a new Civic without these issues.

Last edited:

StevenGregory

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
If, in fact, there is fuel diluting your engine oil, you should experience an increase in the oil level, when checking it via the dipstick (this could also result from coolant entering the crankcase/lubrication system). Neither is likely. Frankly, unless fuel is blowing by the piston rings I'm not sure how this could occur, anyway. It's likely just another case of attorneys trying to stick it to a company via a class action suit. My recommendations: check you dipstick and check your exhaust during start-up. If it's the rings, you'd likely be getting a little blueish smoke.

HondasRun4ever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe
Country flag
I was very surprised when I received this notice in the mail. So I started looking for more information online. According to several articles I found, owners were supposed to be notified last year about the warranty extension. But I never received any notice. This is the first I'm hearing about it. The lease on my 2017 Civic EXT coupe is expiring next month. I was planning to buy it because I love the car, but now I'm not sure what to do...

Anthony007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic ex-t
Country flag
I got the letter last week sometime but my 2016 Honda Civic already has 83,000 miles engine blew, turbo blew and CAT CONVERTER blew to a $11,000 in repairs due to this issue

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
i bought the extended warranty when i got my car, but i also got the letter some time ago. so far i have had zero issues with oil smelling like gas, im currently at 31k miles. hopefully i dont run into any issues, but only time will tell.

swanarg

TheSwanwar
First Name
Anwar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i bought the extended warranty when i got my car, but i also got the letter some time ago. so far i have had zero issues with oil smelling like gas, im currently at 31k miles. hopefully i dont run into any issues, but only time will tell.

I received the letter as well. back when they were intially doing the TSB i got an email from honda but my dealer told me it was only for cold weather states and my vin wasn't listed. sometime last year they extended it to all 50 states. this i did not know. So, apparently you can call your dealer and request the "product update" to fix for issue which includes:
  1. Software updates to the transmission control module and electronic fuel injection system.
  2. Replacing a drain plug washer
  3. Replacing the climate control unit (in some cases)
  4. A fresh oil change
I literally just found this out tonight and plan to call my dealer in the morning and ask. Problem is, im running catless DP and am tuned. would have to swap out my DP, ( P.I. T.A.) and flash to stock if i get the update. I don't experience any gas smell or increased oil levels and I change my oil every 5k anyway regardless of MM so i am not sure if i'll get it or not..... I mostly dont feel like crawling under the car and changing the DP out twice in two days : /
Sponsored