Oil Dilution problem Difinitive Yes or NO

augustus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch EX Lunar Silver
Country flag
Thanks guys, I don't go to the dealer except for these types of things, I reckon I've give them a call and go in.

jgreen - edie brickell fan?
Sponsored

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
2. The new module along with the software keeps the cabin from warming up while the engine warms. Sending heat into the cabin slows the engine warm up process
Did some searching about this & did come across one comment where the person said the A/C control unit was not replaced on his car. I contacted my dealer & was told no parts are needed & they would be replacing the oil & performing 3 updates, to the PGM-FI, the TCM, and the AC control unit and it takes about 1.5 hours.

My Civic was built 4/18 in Japan & am presuming it already has the newest AC control unit.

augustus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch EX Lunar Silver
Country flag
I'll be curious to find out if my A/C control unit gets replaced, scheduling happened so quickly I didn't get to ask anything...But I'll know this afternoon as I'm taking it in at 3PM. I'm wondering if I can get them to update the headunit software also, or if that would cost money.

jgreen16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX Hatch, 1990 Chevrolet C1500
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'll be curious to find out if my A/C control unit gets replaced, scheduling happened so quickly I didn't get to ask anything...But I'll know this afternoon as I'm taking it in at 3PM. I'm wondering if I can get them to update the headunit software also, or if that would cost money.
From what the dealer told me, initially they were replacing the A/C control units due to the dealerships not having everything necessary to do the updates to existing units. They had made the running change at the factory to all new cars coming off the line with the new A/C control units, so they just sent batches of those out to the dealers until the dealerships were equipped to do the updates on the existing control units.

Whether that is true or not, I really couldn't be sure. Sounds reasonable though.

thetracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic FK6 1.0T
Country flag
So basically, you can help the engine warm up faster by putting the ventilation on minimum yourself, and this in turn minimizes the oil dilution. My former car, a 2.0TDI needed the same strategy for a quick warmup.

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
I am going to call the dealer, but starting last week, I've been smelling gas inside the cabin. Hopefully not related to this, but going to see if my hatch is eligible for this fix. Has anyone else smelled gas inside their car (specifically for turbo folks)?

cwradio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sense, 2011 CR-V EX
Country flag
Does the replacing the A/C control unit only apply to turbo engines? I have a 2016 Civic EX with SENSE, automatic transmission. no turbo engine.
Thanks Paul

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I wanted to make sure the dealer had the part(s) before I dropped off the car. They said no parts are needed for my car. I asked if my car already had the new A/C control unit or did Honda just stop replacing them.

Dealer replied "Honda stopped replacing the AC control units after Feb 1st of this year. They sent out a update kit which would update the existing units already installed in the cars. So yours would not need to be replaced at this time".

So I don't need parts, but do I need the update kit? Is so, wouldn't it have parts? Or is my AC control unit so new (car built 4/18) that it doesn't need the kit either?

Questions, questions.

BallisticSquid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback, 2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I am going to call the dealer, but starting last week, I've been smelling gas inside the cabin. Hopefully not related to this, but going to see if my hatch is eligible for this fix. Has anyone else smelled gas inside their car (specifically for turbo folks)?
I have noticed it a few times. I pulled out the dipstick and the level looked OK, but the oil smelled either like gas or exhaust to me. I noticed the smell as soon as I popped the hood.

My car is a brand new 2019 hatch EX CVT. It hasn't been particularly cold the past couple of months (NJ) and my commute to/from work is ~30 min.

The car runs fine and my mileage is fine. Not sure if I should be worried or not.

Last edited:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have noticed it a few times. I pulled out the dipstick and the level looked OK, but the oil smelled either like gas or exhaust to me. I noticed the smell as soon as I popped the hood.

My car is a brand new 2019 hatch EX CVT. It hasn't been particularly cold the past couple of months (NJ) and my commute to/from work is ~30 min.

The car runs find and my mileage is fine. Not sure if I should be worried or not.
do you have a second car? go pull the dipstick and smell it, Im curious what it smells like

BallisticSquid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback, 2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
do you have a second car? go pull the dipstick and smell it, Im curious what it smells like
I do...my wife has a Toyota Highlander. I will check it tonight.

When I pulled the dipstick from my Honda, I wiped the dipstick on a paper towel. I had my wife smell it without saying anything and she thought it smelled weird also...like gas.

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I personally don't believe the "fix" did anything as I just checked my oil the other day as I'm at 4000 miles in from my last oil change and should in theory have 2000 miles to go and NOPE it reeks like diesel fuel. I'll be complaining on Friday when I take it in but I expect no real solution. This experience has me looking away from Honda in my future. I never had issues like this with my old "crappy mitsubishi." For as much crap as I got for that car it didn't have a single issue. 18k miles on the honda and i've had massive fuel dilution issues twice already and I drive about 60 miles a day almost all highway.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I personally don't believe the "fix" did anything as I just checked my oil the other day as I'm at 4000 miles in from my last oil change and should in theory have 2000 miles to go and NOPE it reeks like diesel fuel. I'll be complaining on Friday when I take it in but I expect no real solution. This experience has me looking away from Honda in my future. I never had issues like this with my old "crappy mitsubishi." For as much crap as I got for that car it didn't have a single issue. 18k miles on the honda and i've had massive fuel dilution issues twice already and I drive about 60 miles a day almost all highway.
Why does it reek like diesel fuel instead of gasoline? Don't you fill up with gas only?

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your oil can smell like fuel but that doesnt prove anything. Get an oil analysis, its the only way to prove dilution.
Sponsored