Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
100km later i pulled up to the dealer and pulled the dip stick right in front of the same guy, it reeked like gas from 4 feet away, you could probably fire up a volvo off it.
But you will firmly refuse to disclose what was the oil level on the dipstick after those 100 km? How many millimeters it increased since oil change?
I understand you have signed a nondisclosure agreement with Honda.:thumbsup:
Sponsored

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
My car had so much fuel dilution in the summer that it popped a run rich code and misfires, went into limp on the way to dealer back then.
Did the dilution cause it to run rich and misfire, or did running rich cause the misfire and dilution? Running rich could definitely allow some extra fuel to make its way into the crankcase. Maybe your oil dilution isn't the cause, but is a symptom of some other problem?

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got the letter recall but my baby is still stuck on the driveway with snow. I will bring it in when the weather warms up.

I'll be honest I didn't really pay attention or know anything about it.

I guess using Amsoil 0W-30 and Ultra 94 gas makes do difference. That's how clueless I am about it. I will talk to my dealer.

briq4

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Just had the recall done, didn't seem to change anything except how the car idles when cold. It didn't get any warmer in my 6 minute commute. And when I parked at work and left it running with the heat on auto at 72 degrees the temp fell to no bars showing on the temp gauge. So yeah seems like a waste of time. But at least I got a free oil change and handed them a filter to spin on while they had it. :)

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Did the dilution cause it to run rich and misfire, or did running rich cause the misfire and dilution? Running rich could definitely allow some extra fuel to make its way into the crankcase. Maybe your oil dilution isn't the cause, but is a symptom of some other problem?
This is my thought as well. A failing injector could generate dilution as a side effect due to an inconsistent spray pattern.

Not ruling out extreme dilution. But unless a majority of trips are under a mile I find it very hard to see fuel developing in the sump at such an alarming rate.

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
Just had the recall done, didn't seem to change anything except how the car idles when cold. It didn't get any warmer in my 6 minute commute. And when I parked at work and left it running with the heat on auto at 72 degrees the temp fell to no bars showing on the temp gauge. So yeah seems like a waste of time. But at least I got a free oil change and handed them a filter to spin on while they had it. :)
You shouldn’t be idling after the first 30-60 second start up - it’s literally the last thing to do when worried about dilution.

briq4

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
You shouldn’t be idling after the first 30-60 second start up - it’s literally the last thing to do when worried about dilution.
I’m not worried about dilution. I want my window de-iced before I drive so I’m not late for work.

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’m not worried about dilution. I want my window de-iced before I drive so I’m not late for work.
you said you drove to work, parked, then idled .... so i assumed you were at work. I have a short commute too ... i just start my day 5 minutes earlier.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Effect of Oil dilution is easiy and inexpensive to fix .. Oil Change.

Effect of driving car with iced-up windows and crashing is EXPENSIVE to fix, or impossible if YOU or someone else dies in that crash.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
you said you drove to work, parked, then idled .... so i assumed you were at work. I have a short commute too ... i just start my day 5 minutes earlier.
Idling for long periods of time is literally the worst thing for dilution.

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Idling for long periods of time is literally the worst thing for dilution.
I’m well aware - and it’s why I;

1. Never do it
2. Add an unnecessary 5 minutes to my work commute just to help the engine/oil get to operating temp before the highway

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m well aware - and it’s why I;

1. Never do it
2. Add an unnecessary 5 minutes to my work commute just to help the engine/oil get to operating temp before the highway
yeah I was speaking of briq4 since you said he mentioned it. my bad.

augustus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch EX Lunar Silver
Country flag
So, I've been out of the loop a bit on this. I have two questions:
1) how do you determine your iN VIN status?
2) What does the A/C control unit have to do with oil dillution?

Thanks!

jgreen16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX Hatch, 1990 Chevrolet C1500
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Thanks!
1. There is nothing online to look this up on, but you'll probably be told that your car is eligible next time that you go to the dealer for any type of service. I have three Civics in the family, and all are in Ohio. One has already been done, and the other two are waiting until the next service is due.
2. Short answer is that it brings the engine up to temp faster. But you can find more info in the myriad of threads on this subject in the various sub forums. Search is your friend. :)

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Thanks!
2. The new module along with the software keeps the cabin from warming up while the engine warms. Sending heat into the cabin slows the engine warm up process
Sponsored