Oil Dilution problem Difinitive Yes or NO

brienp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I own a 2016 Civic Coupe Touring which means its got the 1.5L T. I've read lots of opinions from people regarding a fix for the Oil Dilution problem as well as some news articles, eg, Consumer Reports, but I've spent the better part of the last hour on Honda's owners site trying to find a recall bulletin or a fix bulletin and have found nothing. I called the Honda dealer I purchased the car from and they say there is no recall or fix listed for my car's VIN number.

Does anyone have definitive proof, not your opinion, an actual bulletin posted from Honda that says it needs to be fixed and if so, where do I find this posting so I can tell my dealer about it and to fix it. Thanks in advance for the help!
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The TSB is real ... 18-137. But, I only think it's available in certain cold weather States right now.

Here's the actual bulletin:

Attachments

n9yty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Interesitng... That doesn't mention the 2019, so did they fix it, or is it just a timing thing, in that the 2019's weren't out yet in the wild when they covered this issue so they aren't in the TSB?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I'd have to think the 19's were "fixed" before they were put on sale.

Zodd

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic sport 1.5t 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
just checked oil today after 4500miles (6000km) still no oil rising same height on dipstick as brand new... it is winter here so 3000miles were done at average to 5-40F my work is around 17km (10miles) away
i always when start car turn off the ventilation and i dont use any heat until engine is warmed up, car needs around 3-4miles to get fully warmed up, then i switch ventilation and heating on...
i dont let car idle in the morning when i go for work, just 10 second and then drive off but i dont use to much gas and try to keep rpm to max 2500...
but when car is warmed up i like to drive it hard maybe that helps for oil to get nice and hot so gasoline can evaporate

but this is europe car made in England i guess, dunno if oil dilution is present in europe too

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
just checked oil today after 4500miles (6000km) still no oil rising same height on dipstick as brand new... it is winter here so 3000miles were done at average to 5-40F my work is around 17km (10miles) away
i always when start car turn off the ventilation and i dont use any heat until engine is warmed up, car needs around 3-4miles to get fully warmed up, then i switch ventilation and heating on...
i dont let car idle in the morning when i go for work, just 10 second and then drive off but i dont use to much gas and try to keep rpm to max 2500...
but when car is warmed up i like to drive it hard maybe that helps for oil to get nice and hot so gasoline can evaporate

but this is europe car made in England i guess, dunno if oil dilution is present in europe too
The US hatchbacks are also only from England.

Oil dilution also depends on the gas or petrol you have available. The winter gas should evaporate faster. There is a tendency now to reduce the volatility of the fuel for environmental and car driveability reasons. Ethanol increases the volatility, so if ethanol is added, the hydrocarbons have to be shifted to heavier to keep the overall volatility below the limit. Those heavy hydrocarbons are harder do evaporate.
So the bottom line is that there are many factors which can affect your final oil level on the dipstick, but if you drive like you say you shouldn't have a problem. (I believe the temperature drops to 5 F only occasionally in Slovenia...)

Last edited:

Supercell

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EX-T Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not to detract/sideline the main question here, but I find it interesting trivia that the actual bulletin above lists the EX Coupe, not the EX-T. In all the marketing materials I can find, the 1.5T EX coupe was always referred to as the EX-T, including the car builder on Honda's website, but I pulled out my original window sticker and the sticker says EX only, so I guess this bulletin applies to the 2018 EX-T. It's like the factory/corporate and marketing teams had different ideas on what to call the coupe, likely because of lack of parity with the sedan models. Something to watch for going forward I guess.

(Now wondering if the 2017 EX-T coupe's sticker also said EX too or if this was an oddity for the 2018 model year only)

Zodd

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic sport 1.5t 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The US hatchbacks are also only from England.

Oil dilution also depends on the gas or petrol you have available. The winter gas should evaporate faster. There is a tendency now to reduce the volatility of the fuel for environmental and car driveability reasons. Ethanol increases the volatility, so if ethanol is added, the hydrocarbons have to be shifted to heavier to keep the overall volatility below the limit. Those heavy hydrocarbons are harder do evaporate.
So the bottom line is that there are many factors which can affect your final oil level on the dipstick, but if you drive like you say you shouldn't have a problem. (I believe the temperature drops to 5 F only occasionally in Slovenia...)
that is true, we only have two types of petrol available here that is 95 and 100 EURO
i didnt put 95 in my car for years

EURO RON MON US: (R+M)/2
90 83 86.5
92 85 88.5
95 87 91
96 88 92
98 90 94
100 91.5 95.75
105 95 100
110 99 104.5

cwradio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sense, 2011 CR-V EX
Country flag
On Service bulletin 18-137 for year 2016 EX Civic (standard engine) there is no recall for EX with Honda Sensing. Any reason why?
Thanks Paul

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag
Not to detract/sideline the main question here, but I find it interesting trivia that the actual bulletin above lists the EX Coupe, not the EX-T. In all the marketing materials I can find, the 1.5T EX coupe was always referred to as the EX-T, including the car builder on Honda's website, but I pulled out my original window sticker and the sticker says EX only, so I guess this bulletin applies to the 2018 EX-T. It's like the factory/corporate and marketing teams had different ideas on what to call the coupe, likely because of lack of parity with the sedan models. Something to watch for going forward I guess.

(Now wondering if the 2017 EX-T coupe's sticker also said EX too or if this was an oddity for the 2018 model year only)
I have 17 ex-L coupe and I have yet to receive it.

Doc777

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 EX-L
Country flag
My 2016 EX-L qualifies for the sensor upgrade and computer flash here in RI. Appt on Thursday. Dealer was very easy going. Said Yes, bring it in. I have not checked the oil recently but will post if there was a problem.

Doc777

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 EX-L
Country flag
The dealership updated the software and replaced a sensor module for free BUT he wanted to sell me an oil change! I said no thanks, it’s included in the service bulletin. Imagine!
Honda Civic 10th gen Oil Dilution problem Difinitive Yes or NO upload_2019-2-15_14-23-27

RallyeX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
The TSB will already be performed on 2019 models across the board. The work performed according to the TSB does not solve the issue, its rather an easement. They extended the warranty on the vehicles that have it completed (hence why theyre doing it to limited models, ie: those in cold climates) which proves that it is a real issue and that they are aware of it. i bet if someone, without mods, blows an engine itll be covered because of the dilution issue. they changed my oil but after 100km it was already full of gas. i took it back and they re-drained and filled, aswell as replaced with a filter that i provided. They dont replace the filter unless you ask, which they will charge you 40 bucks for.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
they changed my oil but after 100km it was already full of gas. i took it back and they re-drained and filled, aswell as replaced with a filter that i provided. They dont replace the filter unless you ask, which they will charge you 40 bucks for.
After 100 km (62 miles) it was again full of gas?
How did you know it was full of it?

I really feel sorry for you, because you have a case of hyper dilution on your hands. You lose so much fuel that your gas mileage must be very poor. How many days does it take for you to drive 100 km? The oil changes will cost you a fortune.

RallyeX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
After 100 km (62 miles) it was again full of gas?
How did you know it was full of it?

I really feel sorry for you, because you have a case of hyper dilution on your hands. You lose so much fuel that your gas mileage must be very poor. How many days does it take for you to drive 100 km? The oil changes will cost you a fortune.
I`ve been doing my own oil changes, i work at a body shop and used to work for a local parts supplier, so i have a free working space and cheap,good product to work with. My car had so much fuel dilution in the summer that it popped a run rich code and misfires, went into limp on the way to dealer back then. I let the car warm up, do minimal spirited driving, dont do pulls in high gears. after the TSB was done i pulled the dipstick with the service manager (i know him professionally through my work) it smelled a little because of the diluted fuel in the filter (i beleive) and i had him as a witness. 100km later i pulled up to the dealer and pulled the dip stick right in front of the same guy, it reeked like gas from 4 feet away, you could probably fire up a volvo off it. so they rechanged and i grabbed a filter. i get 8.0L to the 100km. on highway i get 7.2L. I appreciate the concern, but i have a line of communication with honda tech and a good relationship[ with my dealer, everything is on record and the way i track my own oil changes are also valid, so if it blows ill get a new engine and cooling assembly. This is all in writing, i dont have photos of all this on my work computer.
Edit to include: i drove 100km in 4 days. TSB on Tuesday, rechanged oil on friday
Sponsored