Oil dilution issue Question

Barticus520

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic sport touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey so if anyone can help me out. Today I noticed a slight smell in my car of fuel. I checked the oil and it smells like gas and is about 1 inch higher than the full line on the dipstick. I just changed the oil 2200 miles about 1 month ago.

Will using ktuner/phearable tune and starter maps make the oil dilution worse with increased psi?

2200 miles and the oil is that much higher seems bad to me. Anything recommended to attempt to slow it down? Btw the car has a little over 92000 miles. 17 Civic sport touring.
Sponsored

delucat2

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EXT
Country flag
if you are up one inch, that is a lot of gasoline in the oil. and with 0W20, you've thinned it quite a bit. A long hot trip should evaproate it, but you have to do that once a week and not let it rise like that for extended periods. Are you mostly short trips? This is what the CRV issues were related to.
All you can do is change the oil more frequently.
I had the same thing happen the first winter with my 1.5T. I have accepted that over the cooler months in SoCal (you can laugh) I change when the oil level starts rising - 1/2 an inch at most and that is only 5,000 miles or so. I only fill the crankcase to 1/2 way between the marks, so when I see it rise to full, I change it. It smells of gas. Since I want to keep the car, dumping the oil at 4-5000 miles is cheap. I do not care if it says I can go 10,000 miles under ideal conditions. I don't have ideal conditions. Sounds like you don't either. With DIY oil change taling 30 minutes at most and costing under $30, I'm not playing around.

OP
OP
Barticus520

Barticus520

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
if you are up one inch, that is a lot of gasoline in the oil. and with 0W20, you've thinned it quite a bit. A long hot trip should evaproate it, but you have to do that once a week and not let it rise like that for extended periods. Are you mostly short trips? This is what the CRV issues were related to.
All you can do is change the oil more frequently.
I had the same thing happen the first winter with my 1.5T. I have accepted that over the cooler months in SoCal (you can laugh) I change when the oil level starts rising - 1/2 an inch at most and that is only 5,000 miles or so. I only fill the crankcase to 1/2 way between the marks, so when I see it rise to full, I change it. It smells of gas. Since I want to keep the car, dumping the oil at 4-5000 miles is cheap. I do not care if it says I can go 10,000 miles under ideal conditions. I don't have ideal conditions. Sounds like you don't either. With DIY oil change taling 30 minutes at most and costing under $30, I'm not playing around.
Thanks. Yes I drive a little over an hour each way to work 5 days a week. So it definitely gets hot enough. So far since I last changed my oil I haven’t used the 24 psi tune. Mainly using 15 and sometimes the 20 maps with phearable. Also changed to 5w-30 oil.

when I checked the oil after about 1200 miles it hasn’t went up at all so hopefully it stays that way. Either way I’m going to start changing oil every 5000 and keep an eye on it.

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Are you checking the oil right after the engine has run ? or checking after it's been sitting overnight....that alone will make almost a half inch difference in dipstick readings.

OP
OP
Barticus520

Barticus520

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have checked both. And it is fine so far for the past 1500 miles.
Sponsored