Andre80

First Name
white civic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.5 sport +
Country flag
in italy it's worse, honda italia told me that a 5w40 oil is good for the north and 0w20 for the south italy
Sponsored

OP
OP
Hondanickx

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is what my oil level is at when the engine is cold ,it's hard to see.
I later on checked with warm engine ( let it rest for 10 minutes) and that was even higher then this.

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil dilution fix in europe? IMG_20200115_123355616_HDR

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil dilution fix in europe? IMG_20200115_123355616_HDR~2

I contacted the dealer again today ,and they insisted that i would come as soon as i can .So i will go monday for the update and maybe also have a oil change done .Oil light is coming on every day now , and only when the engine is really warm (after driving 20-25km).I don't do short distances ,i do 60km of highway every day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hondanickx

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I went by the dealer today for the update .After 1.5h it was finished ,i also told them to check the oil level and change out the oil .
The mecanic told me he drained 4L ! of oil out of the engine and it only needs 3.5L of oil .They made a report of all this and are going to send it to honda Belgium.
Normally they can choose what they like to update ,but in this case they couldn't and it updated everything .Hence the reason why it took so long.
I really hope this has the fix in it .I will check my oil level every week to see if it's going to raise again.
I would suggest others people to check your oil levels frequently and go to the dealer and complain about it if it does.
The more complaints and evidence Honda Europe gets ,the faster they are going to do something about it.
I also took pictures of the oil light everytime it was on and send it to the honda dealership .They are going to send it over to Honda Belgium.
Ps: this was all done under warranty and i didn't paid anything.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I went by the dealer today for the update .After 1.5h it was finished ,i also told them to check the oil level and change out the oil .
The mecanic told me he drained 4L ! of oil out of the engine and it only needs 3.5L of oil .They made a report of all this and are going to send it to honda Belgium.
Normally they can choose what they like to update ,but in this case they couldn't and it updated everything .Hence the reason why it took so long.
I really hope this has the fix in it .I will check my oil level every week to see if it's going to raise again.
I would suggest others people to check your oil levels frequently and go to the dealer and complain about it if it does.
The more complaints and evidence Honda Europe gets ,the faster they are going to do something about it.
I also took pictures of the oil light everytime it was on and send it to the honda dealership .They are going to send it over to Honda Belgium.
Ps: this was all done under warranty and i didn't paid anything.
With this level of oil it would be a little more than 0.5 L too much... But still, I wouldn't expect the oil light to come on. Once it comes on, does it stay on during the trip?
What oil viscosity did they give you?

OP
OP
Hondanickx

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
With this level of oil it would be a little more than 0.5 L too much... But still, I wouldn't expect the oil light to come on. Once it comes on, does it stay on during the trip?
What oil viscosity did they give you?
Afaik the oil light comes on when it's too low or when it's 2cm above max.
In my case it was 2 CM above max.
Once the light comes on it stays on untill i shut down the engine .Then it's gone.
They use OEM Honda oil so 0w20.

iced_devil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1 L15BB
Country flag
Hi, same issues in Poland! I had this issue couple times. Light usually come on at 12kkm after last oil change, during highway conditions. I had reported that to my local Honda dealer mentioning oil dilution issues in Asia and North America, they claimed that it had never been reported in Europe. They replaced oil sensor on warranty, it did not solve the problem. I am a member of polish Civic forum and X-gen polish FB group. Recently more similar incidents pops up on the group and there is a big discussion about this. My solution for it is to shorten the A service to 10kkm, avoid short trips and often check dipstick. I do not use start/stop system either. I drive on MOTUL Eco-nergy 0W30 ACEA A5B5, currently scored 50kkm, 2017 FC1 Civic 1.5T L15BB ( Manufactured in Turkey).

OP
OP
Hondanickx

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi same car here and now that you mentioned 12000km ...mine also Came on after 12000km since the last oil change.
I also drive highway everyday and my first oil change i did An early change at 10000km.currently at 22000km

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Hi, same issues in Poland! I had this issue couple times. Light usually come on at 12kkm after last oil change, during highway conditions. I had reported that to my local Honda dealer mentioning oil dilution issues in Asia and North America, they claimed that it had never been reported in Europe. They replaced oil sensor on warranty, it did not solve the problem. I am a member of polish Civic forum and X-gen polish FB group. Recently more similar incidents pops up on the group and there is a big discussion about this. My solution for it is to shorten the A service to 10kkm, avoid short trips and often check dipstick. I do not use start/stop system either. I drive on MOTUL Eco-nergy 0W30 ACEA A5B5, currently scored 50kkm, 2017 FC1 Civic 1.5T L15BB ( Manufactured in Turkey).
Now, with the GPF, EUropians have another reason (besides oil dilution) to avoid short trips and take a long way home (get your motor runnin', head out on the highway). At least many assume that the alleged ash needs to be burned out, otherwise it would tend to clog the filter....

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
Now, with the GPF, EUropians have another reason (besides oil dilution) to avoid short trips and take a long way home (get your motor runnin', head out on the highway). At least many assume that the alleged ash needs to be burned out, otherwise it would tend to clog the filter....
Like with the gasoline version of EGR, GPFs are less problematic because exhaust gets hotter and there are less particles. But yes, it's something to take in to consideration.

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
The Gpf is next to the engine afaik and as it gets hotter there is less chance of the problems associated with dpf, or so I am led to believe.

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
The Gpf is next to the engine afaik and as it gets hotter there is less chance of the problems associated with dpf, or so I am led to believe.
The hotter it is more chances it has to burn the particles, on diesels is done periodically with cycles. Where is the GPF located and which versions have it? Mine from 2017 doesn't have it.

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
Located in first part of exhaust next to the engine afaik

Zodd

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic sport 1.5t 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is what my oil level is at when the engine is cold ,it's hard to see.
I later on checked with warm engine ( let it rest for 10 minutes) and that was even higher then this.

IMG_20200115_123355616_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200115_123355616_HDR~2.jpg

I contacted the dealer again today ,and they insisted that i would come as soon as i can .So i will go monday for the update and maybe also have a oil change done .Oil light is coming on every day now , and only when the engine is really warm (after driving 20-25km).I don't do short distances ,i do 60km of highway every day.

can you try my start up routine, so u see if problem persist.... when i turn car on (cold engine) i wait 30-70sec so rpm drop to around 1k from 1.5k, on start i always turn all heating off, on the button below infotaiment so there is no air moving, that makes engine reach operation temperature fastest, until engine is at runing temperature i rarely go beyond 2k rpm and i am extremly light with throttle so no turbo engage... when engine warms up i use normal heating or AC, never before that... i do wot daily but ofc when engine is plenty warmed up... i didnt have any issues with factory 0w-20 oil, but i am using
castrol 0w-30 titanium a3 now... sometimes if there is rain or snow and windshield starts to fog with climate turned off i do use that button that defog front mirror, but when windshield is cleared i turn it off again until car is warmed up...

OP
OP
Hondanickx

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So Honda Europe Finally answered.I received a message from a mechanic i know at the dealership.I've seen a screenshot of a official message from HME ( Honda Motors Europe) to Honda Belgium and they said this:
"In regards to your question ,the answer is a simple one; No there are No plans to have any software update being developed for the EU market .
In regards to the claimed oil dilution ,so far with the data provided from other claimed cases the oil dilution level was considered within factory normal thresholds since when it is abnormal.
So if in this case ,or any other case you receive report ,there are no other DTC's stored then the found oil dilution is within normal and the vehicle is being able to cope with it."

There was also more talk in dutch where Honda Belgium said this to the dealership:
"When in normal use of the vehicle the engine should use the leaked fuel again true the crankcase ventilation.
There will be no update for the european market for this .This phenomenon only occurs in cold weather and short driving distances.Never long distances."

So HME (Honda motors europe) isn't going to do sh*t about the problem.They at least admit there is a problem now ...
And it seems that the update i got a while ago was just a general update ,that didn't fix the oil dilution problem.
I also drive 98% long distances and i still have the issue...

I will be doing earlier oil changes and maybe also install a tune Ktuner /Hondata that seems to also work with the oil dilution.
Sponsored