Oil dilution fix in europe?

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
Honda like many other manufacturers are only to eager to fob customers off, like many other large companies they say they value their customers when in reality any customer having a problem are met with a response such as this. Perhaps if Honda Europe had a larger market share they might see things differently, they look after their customers far better in the states and Canada. I may vote with my wallet and feet next time and my dealer knows it after they called me last week to invite me in for a chat to buy a new car and as I was a "valued" customer they could offer me a special deal, well I told them if Honda valued my custom they should fix the problems they created, at that point the call ended.
Sponsored

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
So Honda Europe Finally answered.I received a message from a mechanic i know at the dealership.I've seen a screenshot of a official message from HME ( Honda Motors Europe) to Honda Belgium and they said this:
"In regards to your question ,the answer is a simple one; No there are No plans to have any software update being developed for the EU market .
In regards to the claimed oil dilution ,so far with the data provided from other claimed cases the oil dilution level was considered within factory normal thresholds since when it is abnormal.
So if in this case ,or any other case you receive report ,there are no other DTC's stored then the found oil dilution is within normal and the vehicle is being able to cope with it."

There was also more talk in dutch where Honda Belgium said this to the dealership:
"When in normal use of the vehicle the engine should use the leaked fuel again true the crankcase ventilation.
There will be no update for the european market for this .This phenomenon only occurs in cold weather and short driving distances.Never long distances."

So HME (Honda motors europe) isn't going to do sh*t about the problem.They at least admit there is a problem now ...
And it seems that the update i got a while ago was just a general update ,that didn't fix the oil dilution problem.
I also drive 98% long distances and i still have the issue...

I will be doing earlier oil changes and maybe also install a tune Ktuner /Hondata that seems to also work with the oil dilution.
No, they didn't admit there is a problem. They did admit that some fuel gets in the crankcase, which has been the official position of Honda at least since some time (they even made an informative video about it). But they don't call it a problem.

As long as your car is driving normally and there are no problem codes stored, by definition, there is no problem for Honda, and not even a problem for the owner. I have oil rising on the dipstick when I do short drives, but I don't have a problem with it. I have never had to buy a new car because of worn out bearings....I don't think my civic will be the first one to fail because of insufficient lubrication... But I'm in total control. I won't allow the oil to get too high, period.

In Europe most car owners seem to be forced to go regularly to the manufacturer-authorized shops for service, so they don't even need to check the dipstick. A large fraction of new car owners in many countries live in cities and don't have conditions to do any maintenance by themselves. I hear about definitely not affluent people in not the most affluent countries paying over $200 for their first regular service at several thousand miles including an oil change and a cabin filter change, plus checking that all the bolts are still tight. For this reason, most are unaware of any dilution, even if it happens. During the two years since I bought my civic, I haven't yet spent a cent at any service shop and I don't have such plans for the foreseeable future.

I suspect there is no difference whatsoever between oil dilution in China, US, and Europe. The difference is in the level of awareness and panic, and the resulting intensity of the pressure on Honda. This determines Honda's response in different markets. China is one large market where people can easily communicate and organize on this kind of consumer issues, in particular regarding foreign companies. And the Chinese government may easily get involved in consumer issues. US is also a large uniform market, in some ways connected with Canada, with a bit less panic and collective leaning, and with governments a bit less eager to intervene on other than safety issues, but with eager lawyers instead. Europe is a more fragmented, not so integrated market for Honda, with owners on average less willing to open their hoods all the time (if I had to pay several hundred $$$ for maintenance every year, I would not bother too). So there you have it - no Honda action in Europe for the same "problem".

Last edited:

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
Like I said it depends on the market as to how Honda looks after their customers, clearly we are not worthy of such attetion in Europe and are treated less favourably compared to other markets. Also your assumption regarding having to go to a dealership for maintenance is wrong, laws were passed which state that as long as you as a consumer can prove that the vehicle is maintained in accordance with the manufacturer service schedule you can take the vehicle you own to where you like for that maintenance service.

liviu.moise

First Name
Liviu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 5D 1.5
Country flag
Hey guys,
I've read the thread and I see that there's many more people experiencing the same thing as me.
My 2017 Civic 1.5 turbo, manual gearbox, started reporting oil problems (oil sensor light appears in dashboard) after 6000 km roughly after 6 months from when the car was registered.

The problem in my case appears when driving on cruise control on the highway and in constant speed (more than 140-160 km/h).
It's been almost 3 years, in which I emailed HME and they passed me on to the Dealer in Romania but with no concrete resolutions. They did changed my oil sensor twice and the problem is still there.

3 months ago before the complete lockdown in Romania they changed my oil (after 3000 km) and it was above the normal level and smelled like gas. I got a sample and I'll have it analyzed in a laboratory to see what is the oil dilution level after 3000 km. I'll be back with conclusions once I'll have them.

I have now 50,000 km with my civic and I've changed the oil roughly at every 7000-8000 km which is not really comforting for a new car.

What I did manage, is to get a a paper from the dealer stating "possible oil dilution" which I think is a plus if a court case will be needed.

I'm seriously considering a court case if there's no resolution for it. I read that in the US there's a company that will represent Honda owners in a court case. Do you know if there's such actions in Europe?

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
This morning my oil light Came on,checked the oil and it was above max level.Had it checked several months ago but they said the oil level was normal.
It probably was indeed normal several months ago.

My manual says: "We recommend that you check the engine oil level every time you refuel."
Sponsored