Oil Dilution and Transmission Type (1.5T)

For your 1.5T engine, do you detect an oil dilution problem with your type of transmission?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hondatom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX 6sp, 2010 Mazda5, 2008 Sentra
Country flag
Let's see if the oil dilution problem appears with both types of transmissions!

After reading this thread https://www.civicx.com/threads/oil-dilution-and-body-style.29151/ I made a few observations.
  1. In the UK, they do not acknowledge the problem.
  2. I understand the CR-V fix involves modifications to the CVT software.
  3. Problem seems to affect the CR-V more than the Civic
As I understand, in the UK, there are very few CVT/automatic transmissions sold. Modifying the CVT software obviously means the problem can be mitigated presumably by modifying the shifing patterns, particularly when cold. Civic's are sold with more manuals than CR-Vs - so if the problem is seen more on the CR-V, it also might suggest it is seen more with the automatic.

The engine is the same, but perhaps in the cold, the CRV is just running at lower RPM's than with a standard as you accellerate and drive at speed (in the effort of being maximally efficient). This may be contribute to the problem! It will be interesting to see if the transmission software fix will keep the RPM's higher when the engine is cold!

Anyways - please post your answer if you have a 1.5T engine!
Sponsored

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
What counts as "yes"?

Yes as in:

1. "I smell gas, butt dyno feels something is off, and oil level is slightly over the top mark"

or

2. "I sent an oil sample for analysis, and/or see oil level rising inches above the top mark (and not due to dealership overfill)"

RetroJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T 6MT ViTuned
Country flag
What about 3. "Yes I have fuel dilution but no elevated wear according to oil analysis"

OP
OP

hondatom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What counts as "yes"?

Yes as in:

1. "I smell gas, butt dyno feels something is off, and oil level is slightly over the top mark"

or

2. "I sent an oil sample for analysis, and/or see oil level rising inches above the top mark (and not due to dealership overfill)"
Dang - I can't edit the question! It is sort of a fuzzy area as to what constitutes a 'problem'. Definately (2) is a problem. (1) is sort of in the gray area. As such, some facing the same situation might say 'yes' and some may say 'no' reflecting this.

OP
OP

hondatom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What about 3. "Yes I have fuel dilution but no elevated wear according to oil analysis"
To me, it would not be a problem if the level was below the MAX level... If it rises way above then I would venture to say yes.

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
Being in the UK I couldnt really comment on how well the CVT has sold to be honest, I do know the motoring press over here are not keen on them but some do report it is better than other CVT equipoed cars they have driven. DSG gear boxes are popular as found in VW's but in the main manual boxes are more common however autos are catching up very fast in new car sales.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
All 1.5T are effected by this issue. CRV Civic & Accord. It's not related to the transmission. It's a manufactures ring / piston tollerance defect. I have 16 & 17 CIVIC EXT and both have the issue.

I just measured on a 1.5T civic 4.5 quarts drain and I filled at 3.7quarts like normal. That's a lot of ffffing gas in my oil. :( in ~6k miles.

Last edited:
OP
OP

hondatom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
All 1.5T are effected my this issue. CRV Civic & Accord. It's not related to the transmission. It's a manufactures ring / piston tollerance defect. I have 16 & 17 CIVIC EXT and both have the issue.

I just measured on a 1.5T civic 4.5 quarts drain and I filled at 3.7quarts like normal. That's a lot of ffffing gas in my oil. :( in ~6k miles.
Wow - that is a lot of gas! I am surprised so many engines would be manufactured with such tolerance defects.

If what you say is correct, then perhaps a manual mitigates the effect, as it does burn more gas and is hence generating maybe just a little more heat to vapourize the fuel.

Last edited:

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Although your point makes perfect sense. Hopefully Honda doesn't bandaid the issue with a software fix unless it's an increase in horsepower and warranty. ;) Like 10yrs powertrain.

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Alot of the problems are from the engine not getting hot enough to burn off excess fuel in the oil. Making short trips and with the CVT keeping revs very low, the engine oil is barely warm. Taking longer trips, putting the shifter in S mode to keep rpms up, not turning the heater on high when its -20, not doing extended idling when subzero, are all going to help to burn off excess fuel and or minimize dilution.

I had a dilution problem last winter and had to drain some oil. The past spring and summer, I have no problem whatsoever. I would like to think that it has gotten better with a few more miles on the engine. I will have to see how the Civic fares this winter in the Great White North.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Although your point makes perfect sense. Hopefully Honda doesn't bandaid the issue with a software fix unless it's an increase in horsepower and warranty. ;) Like 10yrs powertrain.
We got lifetime drivetrain warranty with the recall:nixon:
Btw yes, the cvt equipped cars are more affected by oil dilution, the recall fix is much more extensive on those, including hardware modifications which my manual civic didn't require.

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
You are lucky to get a recall Honda aint doing nothimg about it in the UK :mad:

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Problem is the cars are still being made, shipped and sold despite the issues. Lemon Law should be in effect. If they choose not to actually fix it.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I changed my oil and there was 3/4 quart of gas in my oil with no code. I drained out 4.5 quarts in 30 minutes and put back in 3.7 quarts full middle of orange on dip stick. All 1.5T engines have the same issue CRV Accord and CIVIC
6tnw2f.jpg
You drained the factory oil and filled to the middle of orange plastic. This is underfill. It was factory filled at least to the upper marker.
That gave you the bogus number of 3/4 quart excess oil.

Forget the number 3.7 quarts in the manual. Fill to the upper marker. Or fill whatewer you want but try to understand the basic things before you publish your fake data.

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Good topic but one flaw is the method of detecting the oil dilution which is not uniform at this point, more of a guess.
The way I deal with this shannigen:
#1 is Mindset- I love this car!
#2 change the oil frequently with full synthetic. $5 -$7 oil filter + $20 in oil, in 4-5 months, who cares?
Few things that make my life easier - in regards to dealing with cars or anything motorized I own:
I do all service my self.
If it is overfilled, I use an air/vacuum operated suction tool to pull any access oil through the dipstick tube, makes it really easy.
I also took the liberty of making some mod to the oil dipstick. If it does not work out, I just buy a new dipstick.
Prior to grinding off the plastic, I scored the down to the metal part so I know where the min/max is. Cross-hatched surface makes it easy to see where the oil level is.
Disclaimer: mod at your own risk.

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil Dilution and Transmission Type (1.5T) 20181103_084903
Sponsored