Oil dilution and body style

Which body style do you have with oil dilution problems?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dougb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic touring
Country flag
I have a 2017 touring sedan. When I read about having a potential problem the oil at that time had been in 3700 miles .I had the oil analyzed and it came back over 5% dilution. I opened a case with Honda and was told to take it to my dealer. My dealer checked for codes and found none so they told me that there wasn't a problem even after I showed the service manager a copy of the analysis.Honda proceeded to close My case.
Sponsored

Fk8 4343

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Type R, 17' CR-V Touring
I have a 2017 touring sedan. When I read about having a potential problem the oil at that time had been in 3700 miles .I had the oil analyzed and it came back over 5% dilution. I opened a case with Honda and was told to take it to my dealer. My dealer checked for codes and found none so they told me that there wasn't a problem even after I showed the service manager a copy of the analysis.Honda proceeded to close My case.
Was the analysis normal other than the dilution? Did it indicate excess wear?

dougb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic touring
Country flag
Was the analysis normal other than the dilution? Did it indicate excess wear?
The analysis didn't show excessive bearing wear. The dealer said at 3700 miles
I had about 8 ounces extra when they drained the oil. I can only assume
That if I had waited for the mileage minder I would have had over 16 ounces of
gas in 3.7 qts. of oil. I feel thats alot.

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
The analysis didn't show excessive bearing wear. The dealer said at 3700 miles
I had about 8 ounces extra when they drained the oil. I can only assume
That if I had waited for the mileage minder I would have had over 16 ounces of
gas in 3.7 qts. of oil. I feel thats alot.
Based on what others have stated here and visiting my dealer, 1 inch over the max line on dipstick is the critical level. Most reach 3/8 of an inch overfilled. This engine has been out since late 2015 and there's no reports of engine failures or excessive wear. It'll take a few more years to know how reliable these 1.5 liter engines are. I think Honda needs to come up with a fix, and in the CR article a few days ago it said November a fix is coming, for the CRV and hopefully Civic. I do mostly short trips, so I plan on changing my oil more often.

dougb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic touring
Country flag
Based on what others have stated here and visiting my dealer, 1 inch over the max line on dipstick is the critical level. Most reach 3/8 of an inch overfilled. This engine has been out since late 2015 and there's no reports of engine failures or excessive wear. It'll take a few more years to know how reliable these 1.5 liter engines are. I think Honda needs to come up with a fix, and in the CR article a few days ago it said November a fix is coming, for the CRV and hopefully Civic. I do mostly short trips, so I plan on changing my oil more often.
Do a Google search. Plenty of engine failures and gas fumes so bad the vehicle can't be driven.
I consider myself one of the lucky ones. Some accumulate over a qt. in 500 miles so constant oil changes.

OP
OP
Lifesabeach

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
Sounds like we are all doomed then ;)

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Do a Google search. Plenty of engine failures and gas fumes so bad the vehicle can't be driven.
I consider myself one of the lucky ones. Some accumulate over a qt. in 500 miles so constant oil changes.
Show me these googles and put actual numbers on "plenty" and "some". If I based my knowledge on "do a Google search" I would not even buy a bicycle. Too risky.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This topic is frustrating to follow because:

1a. What counts as "having oi/fuel dilution problem"? Documented used oil analysis? People jumping into conclusions (with a dash of confirmation bias) from sniffing the dip stick? Unscientific reading of the dipstick level?
1b. Dipstick being hard to read.
2. Honda corporate seems to be dragging their feet when it comes to communication.
3. People regurgitating the same rumors over and over again.

Anyway, I can't vote because though my sedan is built in Canada, I have not experienced any issues. FWIW, my drives are mostly 20 - 30 minutes with some highway stretches.
I think this is the correct mindset, if I understand poster. Also, do we care to be scientific? Or helpful?
My speculation is an ECU update makes cold temp starts and short duration load (to maintain operating temp) less fuel efficient. I notice more volume in my catch can in near and well below freezing temperatures. If the oil isn't sufficiently isolated, water and condensed products react with motor oil to produce acid. That's scary. Glad I've always used the same oil, same filter, saved all my receipts, and had oil analysis run each change

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
There are positive effects: the fuel that condenses into the oil is then returned via pcv to the AI and cleans your valves...

Water will accumulate with time in the oil in any car. There is nothing in the Honda engine that makes it prone to collecting more water in the oil.

Water does not react with the oil itself, but with the atmospheric CO2 and various additives leading potentially to some acidity. Also more water dissolves in oils that have more additives. Water in oil, whether dissolved or emulsified or in droplets is always corrosive and not good.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a 2017 EXT and a 2016 EXT. Both have blown an oil pan seal due to gas getting into the engine oil. My 2016 civic is scheduled for a new seal next week. Its seeping a little now.

OP
OP
Lifesabeach

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
What I fail to understand with rising oil levels and dealers attitude is their stance compared to the information given by the manual. In my case the service manager admitted he knew about it and he said not to worry it was normal yet the manual quite clearly states not to overfill the engine as it has the potential to cause damage. So what do we as consumers do?

Spacesloth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Honda posted a video regarding the fuel dilution issues with the CRV.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My 1.5T today was held in service due to too much fuel in the oil. I have a loaner. We're all doomed. Lol

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
My 1.5T today was held in service due to too much fuel in the oil. I have a loaner. We're all doomed. Lol
They kept your car for that? Until Honda has a fix, all they can do is change oil.
Sponsored