Oil dillution letter

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I walk to work.

I mostly use the car after work and on weekends. I try to not just make short trips, I prefer the temperature meter to be up to temp the way it is supposed to be. Sometimes I do make some short trips but overall I try to at least drive long enough for the operating temperature to get to where it should be.

I rarely check the oil to be honest. My mechanic has never told me he smells gas in the oil, but I can ask him to check that from now on during oil changes and I would be able to examine that with him too (local garages FTW). I tend to change it between 4 - 5 K, regardless of what the MM says.

Can't use a block heater where I am. Apartment life and all.

That's the thing though, this should not even be a concern. You're supposed to be able to just drive the car however you do without giving it a second thought.
You’re right, it should not even be a concern.

Some argue it’s a characteristic of DI engines. Well then that doesn’t sound like a good design. Maybe DI eeks out an extra mile or two per gallon of gasoline. But you might end up dumping out several quarts of oil earlier than you should. That wastes oil, money, & your time getting extra oil changes. I haven’t run any numbers, but it’s probably cheaper to full up with gas a few extra times than to pay for those extra oil changes. It’s certainly less time consuming than driving to a dealer & waiting for an oil change.
Sponsored

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
That's the thing though, this should not even be a concern. You're supposed to be able to just drive the car however you do without giving it a second thought.
Which religion preaches this?:bow: Why then every owners manual tells you to check your oil often? Is it because there are oil thieves?
Some cars burn oil from the beginning so it need to be topped off between oil changes and the manufacturers say it’s normal. People used to change oil every 3000 miles and suddenly it’s a tragedy.:rolleyes:

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I do check my oil & used to change it every 1000 miles. I'm not saying or implying people shouldn't check their oil. I've driven many cars over many years & none of them ever had the oil get diluted because gasoline was getting into the oil pan.

If you leak or use oil you can top off the level with the same weight oil & the lubrication system will continue doing it's job just fine. But how does someone lower the level if it gets too high? Some people are handy & can drain out some oil, but the viscosity of what's left in the crankcase won't be correct. You have to dump it all. Presuming consumers check their dipstick & notice the level has gone up, most would have to take the car to the dealer or a shop to get the situation corrected. IOW it's not as simple as adding half a quart.

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers & you can change oil whenever you want. However better engine tolerances & improved oils have increased the oil change interval. Manufacturers, publications, pundits all seem to say don't waste your money doing that. Times have changed since I owned my first car.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers & you can change oil whenever you want. However better engine tolerances & improved oils have increased the oil change interval. Manufacturers, publications, pundits all seem to say don't waste your money doing that. Times have changed since I owned my first car.
Well, that only tells you to not believe them. The truth is you can't eat the cookie and keep it a the same time. Chasing fuel efficiency to meet arbitrary government decrees has its consequences. As this guy explains here in this well-known video. Burning 2.6qt oil per 6200 miles may be considered acceptable. The good thing is that you can still buy a car that will neither loose or gain much oil, at least when new, like the 2.0L civic, at the cost of a little less stellar gas mileage.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
I can see my mail before it entirely gets here and I've got two letters coming from Oil Dillution Claims settlement Administrator in Torrence CA.
Anyone know what this is?

I might not actually get them till tomorrow and am just curious.
Total cash grab by greedy lawyer mofos. They always do this - see a potential issue they can earn millions of dollars from by getting people involved. Each person will get peanuts not worth your time and the lawyers will make millions of dollars. You should return it telling them to shove it up their ass. ;)

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Someone on here, i think Quicksilver, already has over 200,000 miles on his hatch. Don't think it has affected his engine.
at that kind of mileage you are talking someone who basically never makes a short trip, all their trips are long distance, more then enough to make the dilution a non issue since the dilution only occurs when the engine is cold, we will simply need many years to know the long term effects of this, also how does he know the engine is fine, has he pulled it apart to check the bearings for excessive wear and not found any? An engine still running doesn't mean "it's fine", my other car still runs but it's drinking oil at twice the rate it was before I had the rear main seal replaced

You’re right, it should not even be a concern.

Some argue it’s a characteristic of DI engines. Well then that doesn’t sound like a good design. Maybe DI eeks out an extra mile or two per gallon of gasoline. But you might end up dumping out several quarts of oil earlier than you should. That wastes oil, money, & your time getting extra oil changes. I haven’t run any numbers, but it’s probably cheaper to full up with gas a few extra times than to pay for those extra oil changes. It’s certainly less time consuming than driving to a dealer & waiting for an oil change.
Except it's not about what saves the most oil, it's about what needs to be done to reach the Government Mandated fleet fuel efficiency numbers.

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
Which religion preaches this?:bow: Why then every owners manual tells you to check your oil often? Is it because there are oil thieves?
Some cars burn oil from the beginning so it need to be topped off between oil changes and the manufacturers say it’s normal. People used to change oil every 3000 miles and suddenly it’s a tragedy.:rolleyes:
I think you missed the point of my post. What I was saying is that this oil dilution issue should not even be a thing, let alone being told that you must be required to drive a certain amount or else you are basically guaranteed to get it.

People buy Hondas historically because they have the reputation of lasting forever with little more than routine maintenance.

SCcivic

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 300zx 2012 Corolla S 2018 Civic Hatchback 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
Remember people, If you want to be told how to drive your car and be blamed for an engineering flaw, Buy a honda. If you don't care about the environment and want to change your oil every 2,000-3,000 miles like an old sports car from the 80's, Get a new Honda!!! If you love checking your oil level every day before you drive like your from the 70's, Buy a Honda!!

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
Remember people, If you want to be told how to drive your car and be blamed for an engineering flaw, Buy a honda. If you don't care about the environment and want to change your oil every 2,000-3,000 miles like an old sports car from the 80's, Get a new Honda!!! If you love checking your oil level every day before you drive like your from the 70's, Buy a Honda!!
Oil dilution is inherent to Gas Direct Injection engines, not Honda engines.
Sponsored