KenM

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon-to-be 2016 or 2017 Civic Coupe EX-T
Country flag
Hello, new to this forum. I’ll be searching for either a 2016 or 2017 EX-T coupe in the next couple of months. A search of potential issues for this generation yields something concerning (odd for a Honda). I’ve owned several Honda’s over the past 35 years and have always respected the brand (have a ‘14 CRV now).

How bad and how common is this problem? Did the Honda software update to allow faster warmup help at all? Are there work-arounds, and what’s recommended oil change interval? Is sniffing under the oil fill cap for gas a good way to inspect one? I live in the warmer state of Alabama, fwiw. Looking for real-world feedback, please.

Thanks in Advance!
Ken
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly if your drives are long enough to get the engine to normal operating temps and you change your oil regularly, the dilution is no worse than any DI engine.

Honda's "fix" was to cover their ass a bit for people in cold climates driving short distances and not getting their engine to normal operating temps.

OP
OP

KenM

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks, gtman. I see these little turbo motors take quite well to tuning. This one will be for my son; I daily drive an ‘05 Miata, but costs get a little high if I want to get any meaningful power increase out of it.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ken,
What gtman said, but one thing I'd like to add, don't get a 2016. It was the first year for this gen and there were all kinds of issues with them and bugs. Especially the headunits. Kinda common for a first year, a 2017 would be better, 18 if you could swing it.

OP
OP

KenM

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ken,
What gtman said, but one thing I'd like to add, don't get a 2016. It was the first year for this gen and there were all kinds of issues with them and bugs. Especially the headunits. Kinda common for a first year, a 2017 would be better, 18 if you could swing it.
Thanks for that - I was thinking the same thing.

OP
OP

KenM

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Are there any other known issues with this range of years (‘16 - ‘18) that we would need to look out for when looking for one? I hear Honda made some soy-based wire coatings (what were they thinking?) that are tasty to rodents. I hate electrical issues with a passion.
The CVT has proven itself reliable by now, right? (If it were mine, it’d be the 6 speed).

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I have a '17 and it's been rock solid reliable. CVT has done well especially considering I'm tuned. The only complaints I have are the thin, easily chipped paint and an interior rattle that drives me nuts. Mechanically, it's outstanding.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Virtually all more or less serious/obnoxious "problems" and Problems with thee civicx are related to Honda trying hard to make the car greener. This is not unlike other mfgs.
Turbo DI engines and thinner oil for better fuel mileage, weight and energy savings (condensers built like beer cans, thin exterior panels, lighter, thinner glass, less paint) water based paint, variable AC compressors, new refrigerant, etc. These great solutions are all creating issues. Except the CVT, at least so I like to believe.

Actually, in my opinion, the oil dilution is the least annoying issue of them all. Because you can easily monitor it and prevent/remediate any ill effects.

"How bad and how common is this problem? " No one will know for sure until Honda tells, but I believe in the 1.5T engines it is extremely common (like ~100%) modified by the way the car is used, but very rarely with any consequences. Not unlike the current celebrated corona virus of the day, model year 19. I've heard they are now testing the next MY, covid-20, and covid-21 will bring a minor refresh with all the bug fixes.

OP
OP

KenM

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Virtually all more or less serious/obnoxious "problems" and Problems with thee civicx are related to Honda trying hard to make the car greener. This is not unlike other mfgs.
Turbo DI engines and thinner oil for better fuel mileage, weight and energy savings (condensers built like beer cans, thin exterior panels, lighter, thinner glass, less paint) water based paint, variable AC compressors, new refrigerant, etc. These great solutions are all creating issues. Except the CVT, at least so I like to believe.

Actually, in my opinion, the oil dilution is the least annoying issue of them all. Because you can easily monitor it and prevent/remediate any ill effects.

"How bad and how common is this problem? " No one will know for sure until Honda tells, but I believe in the 1.5T engines it is extremely common (like ~100%) modified by the way the car is used, but very rarely with any consequences. Not unlike the current celebrated corona virus of the day, model year 19. I've heard they are now testing the next MY, covid-20, and covid-21 will bring a minor refresh with all the bug fixes.
Excellent comparison, Gruber. The results are the same - forced compliance (go a little greener every year / stay at home until 100% safe (never gonna happen)), leading to less personal freedom, fun and personal expression. Personal disclaimer: I’m old enough (55) to have witnessed the span of change, and it doesn’t excite me. Sorry; I digress... My first Honda was a new 1984 CRX 1.5. Loved every single one of those 76 honest little horses under that tiny hood. (I still lurk around for a ‘91 CRX Si ‘canvas’ to call my own. ?
Sponsored