Oil Confused

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Let's be honest, most (the average) person knows nor cares about their oil.
That's true and not even the Honda dealerships do. Since I got the "wrong" engine oil in four out of five oil changes. They just don't followed the recommendation by Honda and did not used ACEA A3/B3 or A4/B4. Only one Honda dealership did.

Trust me when I say that I have used three different grades of oil in my car. I watch all the variables very closely when I drive. I cannot tell you I see ANY remote difference in motor operation.
Not in motor operation and of course that's the most important thing, but I could see a slight improvement in gas mileage with 0W-20 Honda type 2.0 compared to the 0W-40 by Mobil 1 engine oil.
That might not bother one living in the US, but gas prices in Europe are insane :nono:
Sponsored

Deleted member 54128

The honda Engine Type 2.0 is a good oil, it sometimes allows trips to the racetrack. Here in Europe, a few to 200000 kilometres are already on the road with the oil, without problems

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
I just want to say as it should be said. The ACEA A3/B3 or A4/B4 spec is ancient.

If the oil you use carries the mb229.71 spec its a much tougher spec and more in line with TGDI engines. Even the VW 508.00/509.00 spec is superior.

OP
OP
panas

panas

First Name
Panos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2019 sedan, non-Si
Country flag
I just want to say as it should be said. The ACEA A3/B3 or A4/B4 spec is ancient.

If the oil you use carries the mb229.71 spec its a much tougher spec and more in line with TGDI engines. Even the VW 508.00/509.00 spec is superior.
Don't get me wrong, i found all the contributions so far useful, but this is mostly the kind of arguments i was aiming for. Insight on how an oil that lacks recommended certifications could be better. Still i looked it up and the mb229.71 spec exists only in the green amsoil 0w20, while i used the signature series that many members seem to be using. I think I'm leaning towards returning to honda oil. Maybe some people are correct and i am overthinking it considering my needs (lightly tuned, no-track).
Honda Civic 10th gen Oil Confused amsoil green
Honda Civic 10th gen Oil Confused amsoil

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
Don't get me wrong, i found all the contributions so far useful, but this is mostly the kind of arguments i was aiming for. Insight on how an oil that lacks recommended certifications could be better. Still i looked it up and the mb229.71 spec exists only in the green amsoil 0w20, while i used the signature series that many members seem to be using. I think I'm leaning towards returning to honda oil. Maybe some people are correct and i am overthinking it considering my needs (lightly tuned, no-track).
amsoil green.jpg
amsoil.jpg
castrol ep (gold bottle)holds all those certs and is cheap.
If your intent on amsoil or honda oem thats fine i prefer better bang for the buck.
if you ever get into racing id use https://www.advlubrication.com/

Highly regarded and ultra high quality oil worth the money.