the27thaxe

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Actually, the Mobil1 0W-20 AFE is now officially spec'd GF-6A, packaging has been changed slightly, lots of quarts at Advance & Auto Zone with the older package, most of the 5-quart Jugs are new stock and are marked GF-6A. I've been using the M1 0W-20 AFE for many years and my Blackstone Labs UOA reports have been uniformly excellent using the M1 M110A filters and changing at 5k intervals. I've used it in 5 Civics, 2 Fits and now in our new CRV's.
You can usually get a bundle (5 quarts/5-quart jug Of AFE and a M110A filter)at Advance for about $33. I always buy my own and take it to the dealer, they've never objected. As long as it meets specs, they're fine with it. Manager once told me they don't make much on oil anyway.
Good to know, I work at an Advance so Ill have to check my bottles and see what they say.

rileyj98

First Name
riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe
Country flag
I just use honda bottled 0w-20 for my civic. It's not the same as their bulk oil they get and it's made for hondas. If we have a customer come in with an oil consumption issue first thing we recommend is the bottled honda oil

PontiacFan

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport, 2020 Accord EX-L, 1971 LeMans
Country flag
I just did my first oil change. NAPA had a deal - $22.99 for 5 qt full synthetic and a "gold" oil filter. I drive about 600 miles per week, so I bought three, because I'll be changing oil more often than most folks.

Anyone have any opinion (good, or bad) on NAPA oil and filters?

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I just did my first oil change. NAPA had a deal - $22.99 for 5 qt full synthetic and a "gold" oil filter. I drive about 600 miles per week, so I bought three, because I'll be changing oil more often than most folks.

NAPA oil is Valvoline.

I just use honda bottled 0w-20 for my civic. It's not the same as their bulk oil they get and it's made for hondas. If we have a customer come in with an oil consumption issue first thing we recommend is the bottled honda oil
Honda Genuine Full Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 0W20 has been supplied by Phillips 66 Lubricants.

Last edited:

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
An oil thread and Amsoil hasn’t been discussed yet ?. Amsoil SS great oil, not readily available at most auto stores though. I order online with a membership $10/quart plus their oil filter

F20C1A

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Clarity Touring and 2021 Civic Type R SGP
Country flag
Ok so honda recommends 0w 20 full synthetic. What should I be running in my 2020 si? I've had one oil change so far and I did it through Honda.
The GF 6 is the latest and greatest rating so I’m told that any brand name 0W 20 with that rating is great! Opinions on best brands are wide-spread but there is almost no difference when tested so I’d go with the cheapest oil that satisfies the GF6 rating.

jlamb30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan • 03 Kawi ZX-6R 636
Country flag

Napa Gold filters are made be Wix. Excellent quality.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Napa Gold filters are made be Wix. Excellent quality.
This or Purolator. MANN+HUMMEL owns both of them now.

Mann is a German filter company. Back when i owned a 1981 Mercedes 300D Diesel, i only used Mann filters.

ck42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport MT
Country flag
Been running Amsoil SS 0w-30 since day 1. Basically stock.
Not concerned about any loss in MPG - would much rather trade that little bit of extra efficiency from 0w-20 for the added protection.
Only drive about 7K/year so the extra cost of the Amsoil is a complete non-concern. I now change the oil once/year...because I don't want the oil being more than a year old....and NOT because it has X thousand miles on oil. First time in my life I've been in that position!

Last edited:

F20C1A

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Mobil 1 0w20 with their matching filter is all I've ever used in my 10th gen. If anything, stay away from Walmart's Supertech oil. That crap is horrible quality oil.

F20C1A

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Mobil 1 0w20 with their matching filter is all I've ever used in my 10th gen. If anything, stay away from Walmart's Supertech oil. That crap is horrible quality oil.

F20C1A

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not much difference in brands. Go by ratings and you'll be good. The ratings are irrespective of brand. Don't pay for the name!

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
I did my first oil changed yesterday at 11,000km (6835mi) while it still says 30% lol.

Used Amsoil SS 0W20 and HKS Oil Filter (Purple) -- Had a good deal for both parts from two different sources
Sponsored