SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Anybody seen the new Mobil 1 Extended Performance “High Milage” oil they just started selling at Walmart and Meijer?

75,000 miles being considered “High Milage” seems like a push to me.

Still I wonder if switching to that around 75,000-100,000 miles would benefit the L15B7 at all.

WF19

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan Aegean Blue Metallic; 2003 Pontiac Vibe (just sold)
Country flag
The 3k oil change thing has always been a scam for the most part. It was like DeBeers and the "rule" that you have to spend 2 months salary on a useless rock in order to get married. Friggin' oil change places STILL try and pull that crap on me and almost no cars require that anymore. Porsches can go 10K miles in between. Meanwhile my dingbat gf went 3 years without an oil change because her ex husband never taught her any better and that toyota van still works fine (she sold it to her tenant).
Soon to be ex-gf if she reads your post.;)

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Anybody seen the new Mobil 1 Extended Performance “High Milage” oil they just started selling at Walmart and Meijer?

75,000 miles being considered “High Milage” seems like a push to me.

Still I wonder if switching to that around 75,000-100,000 miles would benefit the L15B7 at all.

It seems like Mobil 1 recently quietly extended the "protection" mileage of their Extended Performance oils from 15,000 to 20,000 miles. Simultaneously, the Annual Protection oil, which was always 20,000 miles, seems to be gone! :dunno: I actually have been using that AP oil, now I don't see it in any store. :eek: I bought some last remnants for a fraction of the price.

And yes, there is also the High Mileage version of the EP. The 75,000 miles is to all oil manufacturers' the standard for "High Mileage" that has been there for decades, so nothing odd there.

Btw. Officially, according to VW standards, and tacitly to other car manufacturers, 75 kmiles is "high mileage" and 100-120 kmiles is "garbage."

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
No. :thumbsdown: If you use Standard Oil you only make these bloodsuckers Rockefellers richer.:)

Standard-Oil.png
Could be worse. We are headed for communism, then the govt. will be taking a lot more from you to disperse to the people who sit on their ass all day in their parents basement, and light cities on fire all night.

Habanero

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX. 2012 G25
Country flag
Soon to be ex-gf if she reads your post.;)
Not much risk of that. She talks in her sleep in Mandarin or Cantonese cant tell. I dont want to know either haha- although there are real time audio digital translators if I wanted to. There is an app you can get for a tablet where you hold it over a foreign language document (or even someone's phone texts) and it will translate it real time very cool but you have to have a subscription.

BoostinIX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan
Country flag
Not much risk of that. She talks in her sleep in Mandarin or Cantonese cant tell. I dont want to know either haha- although there are real time audio digital translators if I wanted to. There is an app you can get for a tablet where you hold it over a foreign language document (or even someone's phone texts) and it will translate it real time very cool but you have to have a subscription.
Google translate does that for free...

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
All depends on usage. Without having more details hard to say what fits your bill.

I change mine every 3-4k and upped to 0w30. However, I am running fbo + w1 upgraded turbo with eblend and do push my car on occasion (fk7 hatch).

Rs and the non turbo 2.0s are different from the 1.5t motors. So recommendation will vary.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
There is nothing better to keep a car forum alive than another oil thread.
Oil discussions are the essence and the focal point of all car talk, and the question asked in this thread (how often to change the oil) is of fundamental importance, but the final answer will never be found. It's like the question about the meaning of life. :hmm:

So here is this bold guy on Youtube, who went to the deepest sources of knowledge. His research was based on the premise that "the Japanese won't cheat their own." (I guess it's obvious to him that the Germans will, and the Americans just have no clue) :rofl:.

So he went to the Japanese language web sites :coffee: of the major car manufacturers like Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mazda, and found the shocking :eek: truth about the oil change recommendations for the Japanese car owners. In short, hey were as follows: 15 Mm/12 mo for gasoline engines and 5 Mm/6 mo o_O for turboed gasoline engines. But the "severe service" recommendations were half of that, which means 7.5 Mm/6 mo for NA and 2.5 Mm/3 mo o_O for the turbos.

Then he goes into discussion of "severe service" and how most city driving and basically all Russia driving is "severe service." And, how mile-based oil change intervals don't really make sense, because the life of the oil depends on the hours the engine has worked (idling too).

So, the bottom line is that 1.5T owners who drive in anything but ideal conditions (longer trips, almost no stop and go, moderate climate, no heavy loads (such as more passengers, mountains, towing) and want their engine to last long, should change their oil every 2.5 Mm or 3 months, which is equal to 1600 miles :headbang:. For 2.0L it would be 7.5 mM = 4700 miles or 6 months.

Btw. 1 megameter (1 Mm) is 1000 km. :cool:

Here is the link for reference, but it's in Russian.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Learned something new today. When you kept using “Mm” earlier in the post... I was wondering what in the world that was.

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil Changes 533470BE-C417-4F93-96E5-DA6315C41365

Why is that Captain Ron?
Nobody knows...

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oil discussions are the essence and the focal point of all car talk, and the question asked in this thread (how often to change the oil) is of fundamental importance, but the final answer will never be found. It's like the question about the meaning of life. :hmm:

So here is this bold guy on Youtube, who went to the deepest sources of knowledge. His research was based on the premise that "the Japanese won't cheat their own." (I guess it's obvious to him that the Germans will, and the Americans just have no clue) :rofl:.

So he went to the Japanese language web sites :coffee: of the major car manufacturers like Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mazda, and found the shocking :eek: truth about the oil change recommendations for the Japanese car owners. In short, hey were as follows: 15 Mm/12 mo for gasoline engines and 5 Mm/6 mo o_O for turboed gasoline engines. But the "severe service" recommendations were half of that, which means 7.5 Mm/6 mo for NA and 2.5 Mm/3 mo o_O for the turbos.

Then he goes into discussion of "severe service" and how most city driving and basically all Russia driving is "severe service." And, how mile-based oil change intervals don't really make sense, because the life of the oil depends on the hours the engine has worked (idling too).

So, the bottom line is that 1.5T owners who drive in anything but ideal conditions (longer trips, almost no stop and go, moderate climate, no heavy loads (such as more passengers, mountains, towing) and want their engine to last long, should change their oil every 2.5 Mm or 3 months, which is equal to 1600 miles :headbang:. For 2.0L it would be 7.5 mM = 4700 miles or 6 months.

Here is the link for reference, but it's in Russian.

All Russia driving is severe driving (swigs vodka straight from the bottle).

Fredline

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Mazda Miata MX-5
Country flag
I assume the dealer uses conventional oil for the "Free" oil changes they offer after you buy the car from them?
Sponsored