Oil change intervals are too short...

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
You have 3500 on your current oil. And you're maintenance minder says you have 15% left.
So 3500 + 15% = 4025 miles for an oil change?
That does seem short.
Being almost one year is most likely why the maintenance minder came on even if the oil is still good for another few thousand miles. If I had money to waste I would send in a sample to do an oil analysis just for curiosity.
Sponsored

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Short trips and idling are both terrible for oil life. I drove mostly highway with my Si and my oil light would come on at about 8k. If I was in your situation, I'd use high quality oil and just change it every 5k.

LightX

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Just changed my oil today after 12600 miles. I use Amsoil 5W-30 signature rated 25k miles with their oil filter rated 15k miles in normal/harsh conditions. Driven 45k miles and only changed oil 4 times in the last 2 years I've had it. I did a track day with my recent previous oil at 8k miles and still drove to 12k. Also had a mishimoto magnetic drain plug which has little to no metal wear on it. in my opinion, spending a little more for amsoil for the initial cost but lasting 2-3 times longer is cheaper. Once I get to 12k I'll consider changing but wouldn't mind going up to 15k if I get lazy. I usually buy a few boxes of amsoil oil and a box of filter to last me tw0-three years. My maintenance minder pops up and I also end up resetting it two times, ignoring it entirely and only go by my mileage tracking B which I reset when I change oil. It'll hit 10k automatically reset to 0 then hit 2k-3k and change oil.

mega_milk

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LX
Country flag
Pretty sure all of our oil is Full Synthetic.
Correct. All 0W20 is synthetic. Its impossible to make this viscosity grade non-synthetic.

Mine goes down to 15% in 12,000 to 14,000 km but thats with a lot of highway driving.

If you have the 1.5 tuebo its good to change more often though because of the fuel dilution issue.

NIKNAKSBBC

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Country flag
yes I know that.... but my driving conditions are normal as i drive like an old lady..lol. but full synthetic oil should at least be changed every 5,000 miles i would think. seems like its telling me to change the oil every 3,000 miles which seems excessive for full synthetic
I don’t drive like an old lady BUT I have a 2020 honda civic sport touring (it is a turbo) with 31.5k miles on it…. It doesn’t burn oil AT ALL and I use fully synthetic as suggested but my car won’t even let me get to 2500 miles before it gets to 15% telling me I need an oil change…. Sometimes even less than 2k miles….. which I think is absolutely ridiculous…. And every time I go to get my oil change they tell me…. “You’re not even at 3k miles you know you don’t need an oil change yet… your oil looks fine so you can wait…. But I always get it done because if I don’t honda puts in my record that I should have had an oil change and I didn’t….. and they put that in my vehicle history report…. It seems insane to me to get my oil changed every 2.5k miles…. It sure the fawk isn’t cheap PLUS now that I got new tires all of a sudden my maintenance minder tells me I need a tire rotation so doing that every 2.5k miles is pretty excessive if you ask me…. I could be wrong I’m no professional I’m not a mexhanix but when I check my oil at 15% I see and other mechanics see it’s level and there’s no black what so ever it looks fine so I personally think it’s bullshit….

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
I don’t drive like an old lady BUT I have a 2020 honda civic sport touring (it is a turbo) with 31.5k miles on it…. It doesn’t burn oil AT ALL and I use fully synthetic as suggested but my car won’t even let me get to 2500 miles before it gets to 15% telling me I need an oil change…. Sometimes even less than 2k miles….. which I think is absolutely ridiculous…. And every time I go to get my oil change they tell me…. “You’re not even at 3k miles you know you don’t need an oil change yet… your oil looks fine so you can wait…. But I always get it done because if I don’t honda puts in my record that I should have had an oil change and I didn’t….. and they put that in my vehicle history report…. It seems insane to me to get my oil changed every 2.5k miles…. It sure the fawk isn’t cheap PLUS now that I got new tires all of a sudden my maintenance minder tells me I need a tire rotation so doing that every 2.5k miles is pretty excessive if you ask me…. I could be wrong I’m no professional I’m not a mexhanix but when I check my oil at 15% I see and other mechanics see it’s level and there’s no black what so ever it looks fine so I personally think it’s bullshit….
How long does it take you to accumulate 2.5k miles?
The maintenance minder wants it changed once a year regardless of miles driven.

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
You don't have to take your car to the dealership for maintenance, in order to keep your warranty valid. There are laws against forcing people to use dealerships for maintenance.

I change the oil in my car at 5k miles, which is pretty much right at one year. I don't believe that the oil magically goes bad after one year, so I just watch the odometer.

Mariooch97

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 typeR
Country flag
Omg, where do I begin? full disclosure, I'm old! Imo fresh oil is the cheapest basic maintenance that will prolong engine life. To me $60 every 3kmi is cheap money to protect my $40k toy.
I've been a racer for over 21yrs and I too use Amsoil, great oil, that said , there's no way I go past 2 races without dropping the oil and that's 1 too many, when I track the CTR, i put fresh mobil 1 the day after Regardless of mileage! Oil is cheapest insurance you can buy, But that's just me!

Builtfc1

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Omg, where do I begin? full disclosure, I'm old! Imo fresh oil is the cheapest basic maintenance that will prolong engine life. To me $60 every 3kmi is cheap money to protect my $40k toy.
I've been a racer for over 21yrs and I too use Amsoil, great oil, that said , there's no way I go past 2 races without dropping the oil and that's 1 too many, when I track the CTR, i put fresh mobil 1 the day after Regardless of mileage! Oil is cheapest insurance you can buy, But that's just me!
Yea I agree with this guy. Ever since spending 4.3k on a built short block I have no trouble spending 70 dollars for torco oil on Amazon albeit fuck shipping costs. I have been looking into a one time larger order say like a case of 12 quarts for 160.00 that’s 4 oil changes. I have done that on oil filters I make sure I have 10 oil filters and 10 crush washers ready to go.
Sponsored