Oil change intervals are too short...

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
my 2016 Touring has 92,000 miles on it and it seems like the Maintainence Minder is suggesting oil change after like every 3,000 miles or so.. That seems excessive when using full synthetic oil doesnt it? My driving is probably 60-40 city driving..
Sponsored

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
Light might go on at 10/20% but doesn’t mean you have to do it right away. The minder isn’t based on mileage. It’s based on a variety of inputs. Your driving conditions definitely matter.

OP
OP

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
yes I know that.... but my driving conditions are normal as i drive like an old lady..lol. but full synthetic oil should at least be changed every 5,000 miles i would think. seems like its telling me to change the oil every 3,000 miles which seems excessive for full synthetic

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You probably like to idle the car a lot. The mm system uses a chart based on running time and mileage.

logan5

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Your car doesn't know it has synthetic oil in it. The computer is calibrated for the Honda oil it was shipped with from the factory.

OP
OP

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
You probably like to idle the car a lot. The mm system uses a chart based on running time and mileage.
Actually I do. Maybe that’s why. I eat lunch for an hour in my car 5 days a week and sit in my car for 3 hours once a week while my daughter is at volleyball practice. I tried the radio in the past without the car started and my battery died so I don’t do that anymore. Lol

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Actually I do. Maybe that’s why. I eat lunch for an hour in my car 5 days a week and sit in my car for 3 hours once a week while my daughter is at volleyball practice. I tried the radio in the past without the car started and my battery died so I don’t do that anymore. Lol
If you would like to continue using electronics without engine running I suggest a deep cycle battery such as optima yellow top. You can play subwoofers on them for some time and it will still start up.

msfsx1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Aegean Blue Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
It's not based on a mileage interval. From the owner's manual: "Based on the engine operating conditions and oil age, the remaining engine oil life is calculated and displayed as a percentage." Idling for long periods of time wears out the oil, but doesn't accumulate mileage. The maintenance minder accounts for that. Repeatedly taking very short trips or idling where the oil does not reach operating temperature causes the oil to be diluted by fuel (and possibly moisture?) which reduces the oil's ability to protect the engine. The maintenance minder accounts for that. The owner's manual says that the oil should be changed every year, regardless of mileage. The maintenance minder appears to account for that, too.

In my usage, the maintenance minder suggests oil changes about every 10,000 miles/16,000 km, although I change the oil before that.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Light might go on at 10/20% but doesn’t mean you have to do it right away. The minder isn’t based on mileage. It’s based on a variety of inputs. Your driving conditions definitely matter.

It is wrong to believe that synthetic oil lasts longer, it is much more complex than that.
Driving like an old woman can be the explanation

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's not based on a mileage interval. From the owner's manual: "Based on the engine operating conditions and oil age, the remaining engine oil life is calculated and displayed as a percentage." Idling for long periods of time wears out the oil, but doesn't accumulate mileage. The maintenance minder accounts for that. Repeatedly taking very short trips or idling where the oil does not reach operating temperature causes the oil to be diluted by fuel (and possibly moisture?) which reduces the oil's ability to protect the engine. The maintenance minder accounts for that. The owner's manual says that the oil should be changed every year, regardless of mileage. The maintenance minder appears to account for that, too.

In my usage, the maintenance minder suggests oil changes about every 10,000 miles/16,000 km, although I change the oil before that.
It’s is based on running time and mileage, I’ve learned this on the Honda dealer technician training modules.

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
I’ve only accumulated 3500 miles in 11 months and my maintenance minder just came on with 15% warning. I don’t let it idle excessively. I do short trips however taking my kids to school in the morning which is only 3 miles away. Will change it soon when it hits 10%.

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
I’ve only accumulated 3500 miles in 11 months and my maintenance minder just came on with 15% warning. I don’t let it idle excessively. I do short trips however taking my kids to school in the morning which is only 3 miles away. Will change it soon when it hits 10%.
You have 3500 on your current oil. And you're maintenance minder says you have 15% left.
So 3500 + 15% = 4025 miles for an oil change?
That does seem short.
Sponsored