HarlowQuinn

First Name
Harlow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I have a 2016 civic SI Coupe and I had my oil changed last November. I’ve only driven the car 200 miles this year but the oil change light is on and the oil quality is at 0%. My car overall only has 2300 miles on it and the light seems to come on like clockwork at the 12 month mark. Is it absolutely necessary to change the oil for 200 miles or can I just reset the light? I’ve had all my maintenance done at the dealership and the oil light doesn’t seem to be evaluating anything more than the length of time causing it to come on at least as far as I can tell because when they change the oil last time it was still at 0% because they forgot to reset it and I had to go back and have them show me how to reset the light.
Sponsored

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If the car has been mostly sitting since last November then this is normal. Oil needs to be changed if the car is driven a lot but also if the car hasn't been driven and mostly sitting. If it says oil quality is at 0% then you should change it

If you are going to keep at this same level of driving for the future then maybe think about driving the car every now and then and put on some more miles to keep that oil around for longer

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
I am pretty certain that they forget to reset it.

pumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018vic
Country flag
I am pretty certain that they forget to reset it.
no they didn't

the MM will recommend an oil change every 12 months regardless of mileage,

so what the OP is experiencing is normal MM activity
Sponsored