Oil Change Frequency

ACG12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I don't care what the MM says, there's no way I'm going more than 5k miles on a direct injection engine.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
I don't care what the MM says, there's no way I'm going more than 5k miles on a direct injection engine.
I agree with you.. However i hope you dont do so for your first oil change.. Get that molybdenum onto ur magnessium parts... Or atleast if you do change it get a blend that also has moly in it.. Hard to find and expensive but it does exist

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree with you.. However i hope you dont do so for your first oil change.. Get that molybdenum onto ur magnessium parts... Or atleast if you do change it get a blend that also has moly in it.. Hard to find and expensive but it does exist
LiquiMoly antifriction treatment has MOS2, Eneos has a synthetic with moly, and there is always Mazda 0w-20 with moly.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I recently performed the first oil change for it. Initially I was going to do it at the 3000 mile mark. My coworker told me to change the break-in oil at that time because during this time the pistons are shaping itself to the cyclinder and so there will be lots of microscopic metal particles in the oil so it should be done. That makes sense so I agreed.

I went to the dealership at 3000 miles to have it done they asked me why so soon? I thought it was standard practice they said they put break-in additives in it and said he would recommend at 5000 miles if I wanted ot do it early. I went with the experts advise and kept on riding then, besides they charge $75 bucks for an oil change so I'd rather not pay that if I didn't have to.

So I changed the oil myself the dealership price is a bit high when it's a pretty easy task. I didn't think the oil would be this dark at 4000 miles, but I think I changed it at a good time. The oil smell a pretty burnt and the color is very dark.

Hondas are usually at 7500K intervals but that's a bit high for me. I plan to stick to a 5000 mile interval. If my next oil change turn out dark and smelly burnt I'm going to do 3000K oil-only and oil+filter at 6000 miles.

What's this break-in additive Honda put in? Is it possible to get it? Wouldn't adding for every oil change keep the engine prestine?

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil Change Frequency IMG_2377

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
I recently performed the first oil change for it. Initially I was going to do it at the 3000 mile mark. My coworker told me to change the break-in oil at that time because during this time the pistons are shaping itself to the cyclinder and so there will be lots of microscopic metal particles in the oil so it should be done. That makes sense so I agreed.

I went to the dealership at 3000 miles to have it done they asked me why so soon? I thought it was standard practice they said they put break-in additives in it and said he would recommend at 5000 miles if I wanted ot do it early. I went with the experts advise and kept on riding then, besides they charge $75 bucks for an oil change so I'd rather not pay that if I didn't have to.

So I changed the oil myself the dealership price is a bit high when it's a pretty easy task. I didn't think the oil would be this dark at 4000 miles, but I think I changed it at a good time. The oil smell a pretty burnt and the color is very dark.

Hondas are usually at 7500K intervals but that's a bit high for me. I plan to stick to a 5000 mile interval. If my next oil change turn out dark and smelly burnt I'm going to do 3000K oil-only and oil+filter at 6000 miles.

What's this break-in additive Honda put in? Is it possible to get it? Wouldn't adding for every oil change keep the engine prestine?

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil Change Frequency IMG_2377
Additive is molybdenum.. Look at the post directly before yours.... Interval for honda is 10k miles or 1 year.. However the mm logic does take into account driving style/pattern to adjust... Plz plz plz.. Make sure you jave moly til 10k.. As that dealer should have told you honda states do not change that oil early ever!. I posted the tsb earlier in the thread.. After 10k and all the parts getting a proper coating you do not need to add moly.. Or use a oil with moly in it.. However it wouldnt hurt... I would let price/sales dictate if im putting a oil with moly in it after 10k.. Or just a good high quality oil like amsoil or pennzoil plat

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So, you're following the MM for the first oil change, and then going on your own schedule after that?
And yes.. I go 10k or mm for first oil change... Then after that if i go 5k miles i will change the oil however not the filter... Filter would be every other change since it definatelly is working just fine til 10k.. Heck the can prob go even longer since ur removing contaminants to a fresh oil every 5k.. Can porb go 15k for filter... However i wont chance it to 15k

So
First change
10k miles. Change oil and filter.

Second change 15k total miles on vehicle. Change oil only.

3rd change 20k total miles on vehicle. Change oil and filter.

4th change 25k total miles on vehicle.
Change oil only.

5th change 30k total miles on vehicle.
Change oil and filter.

**note** do not use the honda a02 filter.. See if dealer has the a01 available for purchase.. Be weary of amazon and ebay.. As they will state its a01 but then send you a02.. Even if you contact them.. There are sellers that have been verified on civicx that truly will send the a01 filter.. High end fram, k&n, royal purple and sone others due a great job..

midengine driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport , 2019 Buick Encore AWD, Sold 3800SC Fiero had a few Fieros
Country flag
Oh just great ! My car isn't going to have more than a couple of thousand miles the first year. What to do ?!
Most manufactures will tell you 10 to 12k or 1 year. Why one year? For people like you who do not drive much, you want to get the oil that has been subjected to condensation from low mileage driving changed and new in.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Most manufactures will tell you 10 to 12k or 1 year. Why one year? For people like you who do not drive much, you want to get the oil that has been subjected to condensation from low mileage driving changed and new in.
@andromeda when u change it use a high moly oil

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
So do I change every # of miles or just look at the oil percentage gauge ? Does the oil percentage gauge actually measure the viscosity, or just based off mileage. ?

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So do I change every # of miles or just look at the oil percentage gauge ? Does the oil percentage gauge actually measure the viscosity, or just based off mileage. ?
I'm speculating, but I believe that percentage is based off miles driven, how aggressive you are on throttle, and average vehicle speed between oil changes (more highway vs more city). I base this off my findings with that gauge vs other members on here with more aggressive driving habits.

I seriously doubt this car has the ability to measure viscosity.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I'm speculating, but I believe that percentage is based off miles driven, how aggressive you are on throttle, and average vehicle speed between oil changes (more highway vs more city). I base this off my findings with that gauge vs other members on here with more aggressive driving habits.

I seriously doubt this car has the ability to measure viscosity.

Thanks for the reply, so the change is every 5,000 miles then ? or does Honda recommend 10k ?
Sponsored