First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the reply, so the change is every 5,000 miles then ? or does Honda recommend 10k ?
My first change was at 10k with 25% life left. I'm changing this weekend again at 10k and 25% life again. I think 10k is a pretty long life for oil, so I'll be changing at 10k. I'm sending my oil out for analysis this time also, so I'll know if that was too long for Honda oil or not. I'll be posting those test results on the forum. I'll try to remember to post them in this thread too.
Sponsored

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
My first change was at 10k with 25% life left. I'm changing this weekend again at 10k and 25% life again. I think 10k is a pretty long life for oil, so I'll be changing at 10k. I'm sending my oil out for analysis this time also, so I'll know if that was too long for Honda oil or not. I'll be posting those test results on the forum. I'll try to remember to post them in this thread too.
Ok great thanks. I posted this in another thread as well, but I put high miles on my car and previous car and maybe I'm just paranoid, but my Prius ran 0W-20 oil like this car did. After about 100,000 miles the Prius started having very high oil consumption. The Prius had 4.4 quarts of oil and after about 7,000 miles it nearly burnt off 3.5 quarts. Eventually it was determined that the rings went bad and the material that was used was my understanding.

I don't know if this was a problem with the way Toyota designed the specific car itself, or how newer car engines now start using the 0W-20 oil that makes that issue potentially susceptible.

Like I said, I may just be paranoid, or it may be "car specific" b/c it was a hybrid, but I'm been leery about 0W-20 since then.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok great thanks. I posted this in another thread as well, but I put high miles on my car and previous car and maybe I'm just paranoid, but my Prius ran 0W-20 oil like this car did. After about 100,000 miles the Prius started having very high oil consumption. The Prius had 4.4 quarts of oil and after about 7,000 miles it nearly burnt off 3.5 quarts. Eventually it was determined that the rings went bad and the material that was used was my understanding.

I don't know if this was a problem with the way Toyota designed the specific car itself, or how newer car engines now start using the 0W-20 oil that makes that issue potentially susceptible.

Like I said, I may just be paranoid, or it may be "car specific" b/c it was a hybrid, but I'm been leery about 0W-20 since then.
http://www.civicx.com/threads/1-5t-amsoil-ss-0w20-uoa-thread.9610/

Keep your eye on this thread, myself and a few other members are having oil analysis done on different oils. @NorthernEX-T just sent his AMSOIL Signature Series 0w/20 out. I'll be sending my Honda oil out and I'm replacing with AMSOIL SS 0w/20 as well. Hopefully we can build some really good data that will allow us to get the most out of these motors.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
http://www.civicx.com/threads/1-5t-amsoil-ss-0w20-uoa-thread.9610/

Keep your eye on this thread, myself and a few other members are having oil analysis done on different oils. @NorthernEX-T just sent his AMSOIL Signature Series 0w/20 out. I'll be sending my Honda oil out and I'm replacing with AMSOIL SS 0w/20 as well. Hopefully we can build some really good data that will allow us to get the most out of these motors.
Agree.. It will be a good thread... Northern will be providing.. Spririted driving uoa's.. Snoopy the opposite very economical uoa's and I will be providing the long life (timewise as im doing 5 miles on my car every 2 days.. 100-300 miles 1 day every other week)... However i go from very aggressive driving to hypermiling/economical driving... You wont see mine til approx august/september

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Thanks for the reply, so the change is every 5,000 miles then ? or does Honda recommend 10k ?
Honda recommends following the MM, which is what I'm doing. There are others in this forum who are doing more frequent oil changes (ie - before the MM reaches 15%). It's your decision, you should do what you feel comfortable with.

StevenK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
use the maintenance minder, when it gets to 15% go in for the recommended service. The mm may take into account miles and aggressive driving; however, it also takes into account slow freeway stop-and-go driving too since many of my miles are accumulated in traffic jams and the mm has notified me earlier than others who do clear freeway driving

Marfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
If anything newer engines are manufactured to such tight tolerances that the first batch of oil helps them break-in faster. At least that's how it was with my dad's 2014 Accord. First oil change happens early to get that oil out and replace it with the regular oil. If I'm not mistaken the K20C motors in the Type R are broken in from the factory, I don't think this applies to them.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Correct, switching out the FF before it's due only delays the break-in process. We've confirmed that's exactly why service managers turn away owners before 15% on their first OCI.

If anything, dealerships would love to do it sooner lol.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Having bought my Touring in
August still I’m on the factory fill with 4500 miles on the car and the Maintenance Minder at 50%. I’ll wind it down to 15% on the factory fill and do oil changes every 5000 thereafter.
The few extra dollars doing changes “early“ mean nothing to me.
I’ve never had an oil related engine issue in over 30 years of vehicle ownership.

civictrooper

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So question guys did my first oil change in sept 22 at dealership I’m just noticing little oil spots now nov 15 an I’m still at 70% oil I made a appt for next Friday do you think they forgot to tighten the bolt or should I be worried
Thanks

MichaelB450

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I've been checking on my oil pretty frequently and today I noticed that the oil on the dipstick is coming up as a brown color, with between 50 - 60% oil life on the maintenance reminder.

Should I change it once I hit around 12K miles (which is around 5K after the first oil change) or is it nothing to be concerned about? I want to keep my car running good for as long as possible, well after the 5 year powertrain warranty.

A bit of background on the first oil change, it was done at 7.08K miles, when the maintenance reminder was showing 5% oil life. I changed out the oil with Mobile 1 Extended performance 0W-20 full synthetic, and also put a new filter on from Fram (the ultra synthetic type).
Sponsored

Last edited: