Oil Change Frequency

jaja340

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex-L
Vehicle Showcase
Hi was wondering how often I should change my oil my dealer has me coming every 5000 miles and my maintenance minder still has 40% left after driving since my last change. What's your opinion?
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
On a stock car, you can stick with the maintenance minder. You won't hurt anything by changing the oil early after the factory fill, except for maybe your wallet. :)

OP
OP
jaja340

jaja340

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex-L
Vehicle Showcase
On a stock car, you can stick with the maintenance minder. You won't hurt anything by changing the oil early after the factory fill, except for maybe your wallet. :)
Thanks my main concern was not hurting my wallet when not necessary

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Thanks my main concern was not hurting my wallet when not necessary
Im surprised honda hasnt said something to your dealer.. That is theft.. As the car itself doesnt want/need oil til 10k or a year.. Well it can vary but its based on your mm.. Nothing wrong with changing it early IF YOU want to.. My dealer puts a sticker for the oil change that doesnt say mileage.. It says come in when it says 15%

Reactions: Gtb

OP
OP
jaja340

jaja340

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex-L
Vehicle Showcase
Im surprised honda hasnt said something to your dealer.. That is theft.. As the car itself doesnt want/need oil til 10k or a year.. Well it can vary but its based on your mm.. Nothing wrong with changing it early IF YOU want to.. My dealer puts a sticker for the oil change that doesnt say mileage.. It says come in when it says 15%
Yeah they have the sticker with the mileage or date I'm at 15k miles and have had 2 oil changes basically every 5k miles. Felt like something was off just wanted to see if you agreed. Thanks!

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dealer to dealer. FWIW the dealer I purchased from (75ish miles away) said come back every 5k. Even though they knew I would never be back there anyway :rofl:

My "home" dealer has always said 15%. And that goodness they've never put more than one sticker. I'm averaging an oil change every 10k with mixed driving (a little bit of highway, mainly suburban driving with light traffic)

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Dealer to dealer. FWIW the dealer I purchased from (75ish miles away) said come back every 5k. Even though they knew I would never be back there anyway :rofl:

My "home" dealer has always said 15%. And that goodness they've never put more than one sticker. I'm averaging an oil change every 10k with mixed driving (a little bit of highway, mainly suburban driving with light traffic)
Ya.. A dealer that says sonething that the manufacturer doest say you need is likely the same dealer that will deny warranty work with every reason you can think of.. Its bullshit.. Especially since the factory oil has a high moly content not found on most oils.. That in my opinion should be in there til told to be changed.. I change mine anywere from 5-10k.. But never my first oil change on a honda..

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag

FWIW, I've also followed the MM, resulting in oil changes every 9 months/13,000 km ( mixed highway and city). There are many on this forum with varying (and passionate) opinions.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, you're following the MM for the first oil change, and then going on your own schedule after that?
My first oil change was at 10,000 and I'm at 18,500 with 30% on MM. I'll probably change at 20,000 regardless of MM. Like people have said, there is no harm changing more frequently (aside from 1st change)

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oh just great ! My car isn't going to have more than a couple of thousand miles the first year. What to do ?!
Just change when mm reaches 0
Sponsored