oil change every 6,000 miles???

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
I do normal driving..lol. a mix of city/highway.. mostly just back and forth to work during the week which is about 10 miles each way... I have never changed oil on any car in my life as much as this car... I know the maintenance minder doesn't know if you are using synthetic or not, but synthetic should last a lot longer than conventional so shoul we not even go off of the reminder then?
do the UOA and forget about guess part. Make sure you do request both TBN and TAN as those are things you won't to look at when figuring out if there's any life left in that oil. good luck
Sponsored

PMMonly4HATCH

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald Frump
Threads
Reaction score
Only bad people (Not Cars) come to America
Vehicle(s)
'17 HATCH ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
do the UOA and forget about guess part. Make sure you do request both TBN and TAN as those are things you won't to look at when figuring out if there's any life left in that oil. good luck
You don't need to do a UOA to know fuel dilution causes viscosity loss of the oil. your UOA at 4800 miles would have normalized, per the oil people, in another 1000 miles meaning you had another 1000 miles to create a hp monster had you left the FF oil in there for another 1000 miles!

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
You don't need to do a UOA to know fuel dilution causes viscosity loss of the oil. your UOA at 4800 miles would have normalized, per the oil people, in another 1000 miles meaning you had another 1000 miles to create a hp monster had you left the FF oil in there for another 1000 miles!
with all due respect mate, but the vast majority of your post makes very little to no sense at all

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
Still don't understand why the maintainance minder is recommending me do oil changes every 5-6000 miles? seems like a lot for using a full synthetic oil. this will be my 5th oil change and car only has 23,000 miles on it.
your MM doesn't know what kind of oil you use. It's an algorithm based on time, temp, driving style, length of trip, etc. It reads the same whether you use good oil or crap oil. Mine is usually down to 10% at 6K miles. All my driving is short trip stop and go. I DIY my changes and it's only about 35 bucks with full syn and a new filter so I don't care how often I change it.

Empyrean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
These motors are also letting a lot of gas into the oil. From what I am told from other brands, that shouldn't be happening on a DI motor. I'm wondering if this is going to create a lot of issues down the road on the 1.5?
So from everything I've read oil dilution is extremely common in DI motors, and is one of the drawbacks of DI Turbos.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
my light goes off after 6,000 miles. I don't see why I need to do an oil change every 6,000 miles using a full synthetic oil change.. this seems way too much. Thoughts ?

Synthetic may not last longer than regular oil .
if oil is dirty ( 'cause your driving habit or gas or...? ) it won't last and you need new oil .

Synthetic are made for easy starting in cold wether , for instant lubricate. Car engine may last longer, not oil.

My wife's 2016 Civic LX , oil service minder is at 10 % with 4, 300 miles. Synthetic oil.
2 short run of 5.5 miles 5 days a week

Last edited:

ChrisSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan, 2009 Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Synthetic may not last longer than regular oil .
if oil is dirty ( 'cause your driving habit or gas or...? ) it won't last and you need new oil .

Synthetic are made for easy starting in cold wether , for instant lubricate. Car engine may last longer, not oil.

My wife's 2016 Civic LX , oil service minder is at 10 % with 4, 300 miles. Synthetic oil.
2 short run of 5.5 miles 5 days a week
Dude, you clearly don't have any understanding of what synthetic oil is or how the maintenance minder works. (totally missed David's reply above saying the same thing)

1. Synthetic oil breaks down due to heat at a much lower rate than conventional oil. Therefore, synthetic oil can maintain it's lubricity far longer than conventional oil, protecting the engine better in adverse conditions.
2. The maintenance minder doesn't know what oil you put in it. It doesn't change calculations due to shitty oil or expensive synthetic. It is just a vehicle operating condition based algorithm. It uses engine temp, engine operating load and other data from the ECU to calculate how long before certain maintenance events are required. Oil life according to the meter decreases with increases in stop/starts, high load, etc.

Here's a quick video on it: , details are sparse there.

SpeedyPro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
I drive 15 min to work every day, 45 mph limit with stoplights. My first change was at over 9k miles. Dunno why yours is such a short interval.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm only getting slightly over 4000 on my changes. I don't drive it everyday though and almost all my trips are less than ten minutes away.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Dude, you clearly don't have any understanding of what synthetic oil is c.
I do some research about synthetic oil.
Synth oil is as quickly contaminated (moisture, carbon deposits, etc.) as ordinary oil and requires frequent changes depending on our driving habits.

As I understand what you write about , maintenance minder is half bulshit for oil

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
My MM finally got to 15% and I'm at around 4800 miles. The numbers really started to drop much faster this winter. I only drive 9 miles each way to work and often hit stop and go.

Last edited:

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Crazy. My MM hit 15%oio life around 7800 miles. Did the first oil change with Mobil 1 as I have never had problems with it and 5 quarts costs $15.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Crazy. My MM hit 15%oio life around 7800 miles. Did the first oil change with Mobil 1 as I have never had problems with it and 5 quarts costs $15.
Driving habit as explain in good video by ChrisSi, march the 9th

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Maybe you guys with short periods park overnight outside. Honda knows that.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe you guys with short periods park overnight outside. Honda knows that.
I park outside 24/7. I also live in a hilly area with a lot of traffic. Like I've said a billion times in the billions of gas mileage threads here, YMMV... literally. You can't compare your numbers to anyone else's unless you drive in the exact same parameters.
Sponsored

Last edited: