Shtumpa

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
I drive a 2017 civic, 10 mile daily commute. Oil changed mid June. I definitely remember the maintenance monitor was reset, read 100%. I've driven ~1700 miles and the oil life indicator says 10% left. Is that normal? It has been hot/humid summer but seems real quick.

I do tend to sit in car and let it idle for a while on phone, sometimes for quite a while. Maybe that's it. Another good reason not to do that.

Anything else that may be causing this issue? Sign of other problems? I am a complete car idiot so please let me know.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Shtumpa

Shtumpa

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
The oil on the dipstick is very light brown, almost see through on the dipstick

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
I change mine @ 50% w/5k mi, so 10% is really pushing it..

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From experience w/another Honda... 12 hours of idle was about 10% oil life or so. And yes... this was immediately after I did the oil change myself... drove 90 easy miles for a camping trip with awful weather where we just stayed in the van on a mattress and let it idle overnight for the A/C. It dropped to 90 during the evening and was at 80% the following week or two with some around the town driving that wouldn’t have been more than a couple hundred miles.

Some folks may say it’s bad. I’ve spent days worth of hours in trucks during freezing weather freeze protecting crops and they were fine. Cops spend days worth of hours in their Crown Vics and Chargers. They’re aren’t blowing blue smoke everywhere from worn rings/cylinder walls. It is wear and tear as you’re talking about hours of operation that aren’t being seen on your odometer... but I’d say so long as you change the oil per the MM... as it’s accounting for those hours of operation that the odometer doesn’t see... you’re fine and the car will still likely fall apart around a still-working engine once it’s time from the scrap yards years and years from now.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I drive a 2017 civic, 10 mile daily commute. Oil changed mid June. I definitely remember the maintenance monitor was reset, read 100%. I've driven ~1700 miles and the oil life indicator says 10% left. Is that normal? It has been hot/humid summer but seems real quick.

I do tend to sit in car and let it idle for a while on phone, sometimes for quite a while. Maybe that's it. Another good reason not to do that.

Anything else that may be causing this issue? Sign of other problems? I am a complete car idiot so please let me know.
Indeed this is a really short interval. I haven't ever seen anything close to this. On my CR-V, which is a N/A i-VTEC, I change oil at about 10 kmile intervals, following the MM.

When you were idling, (AC off or on?) maybe the coolant temperature was getting high for long periods which the MM may treat as high wear on the oil. I just today sat in the garage a moment after a drive, (maybe 4 minutes of idling, A/C off). It was not even very hot outside, but the ECT1 reached 213 F, which I never see when driving. If I hadn't turned off the A/C, it wouldn't get that high, because the fan would be operating continuously.
Then the MM must assume mineral oil, because synthetic is not required. But if you use full synthetic, like most anyone does for the civics, it may not be as affected.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
In addition to all of the above...

Oil is cheap. Change it and see if this happens again now that the weather will be getting cooler where you live.

Good luck.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
The oil on the dipstick is very light brown, almost see through on the dipstick

Oil is mostly clean
In addition to all of the above...

Oil is cheap. Change it and see if this happens again now that the weather will be getting cooler where you live.

Good luck.

I agree, it is the best thing to do.
Sponsored