Oil change and transmission fluid change

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
The drain plugs are not magnetic. The oil plug is 14mm, the trans plug is 20mm.
Thank you so much!

I saw a video of this transmission fluid exchange for the Type R, and the plug did not appear to be magnetic, which is odd unless there is a separate mechanism that Honda chose to filter particulates.

My STi had a magnetic drain plug, which did get gunk after 20-30k miles.

In any case, I will try looking around for a place that makes a magnetic drain plug. A long time ago, I purchased a magnetic oil drain plug from a place called Dimple. They make magnetic drain plugs for other applications like transmissions, so Iā€™ll start looking there.

Thanks again for the quick reply, and if I find a replacement magnetic drain plug, Iā€™ll let yā€™all know in case anyone here is interested.
Sponsored

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Yes, those are the correct capacities. And yes, that is the correct Amsoil fluid. I used the Amsoil for about 8k miles and just changed mine out with Redline MTL. The MTL is noticeably thinner. I have only driven the car around the neighborhood so I can't yet to report on the fluid comparison.
Thanks!

Would you say it's worth changing the transmission fluid with just 2k on the car? I think it shifts great but keep reading it can somehow get better?

TheSnakeJake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Thanks!

Would you say it's worth changing the transmission fluid with just 2k on the car? I think it shifts great but keep reading it can somehow get better?
I am of the opinion that it is always good to change fluids after break-in. I was having some 4th gear lockouts and some gear nibbling when downshifting to 2nd gear. The Amsoil fluid did not completely cure these symptoms but the shift feel did improve. I decided to give Redline MTL a chance since I was doing another oil change anyway. I'll let you know once I get the car out of the garage how the Redline fluid feels. I have also changed my shifter cable bushings and this helped tremendously. However, there is still some slop in the shifter. I am planning to purchase the Hybrid Racing shifter very soon to address this.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If changing your transmission fluid yourself for the first time, if interested, Iā€™ve also posted a step by step DIY with photos:

here

Last edited:

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I took a look at the area this evening to get an idea of what to expect.

Seen here is a picture of the transmission case, with the camera aiming toward the rear of the car. The orange circle is the check-oil plug, and the purple circle is the transmission drain plug for the FK8.

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil change and transmission fluid change EhZh5IC

After removing the skid plate, I noticed a lot of small gravel that had been accumulating over time (red circles). The two Phillips screws at the front of the skid plate were very tightly screwed, so I had to get a long screwdriver to get some torque to remove it. Be careful not to try over and over removing the screws with a small head driver , because the top of the screws will strip. Just take your time and use the right tools.

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil change and transmission fluid change RJDkMhR

I got 3 quarts of Amsoil, shown here, so Iā€™ll try doing this fluid exchange this month.

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil change and transmission fluid change 3OF9WBK

I ordered a M20x1.5x14 magnetic drain plug from Dimple, so if it has the same dimensions and thread, then Iā€™ll use it.

Fixed typo - corrected bolt size.

Last edited:

Patrick Bateman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 FK8, ā€˜19 XC60 R-Design, ā€˜17 ZL1, ā€˜02 SS
Country flag
I ordered a M20x1.5x12 magnetic drain plug from Dimple, so if it has the same dimensions and thread, then Iā€™ll use it.
Can you please report your findings on the plug?

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Can you please report your findings on the plug?
I found and bought a replacement magnetic transmission drain plug for the Civic Type R.

The transmission drain plug size is a M20x1.5x14.

Like I mentioned earlier, a company called Dimple from the Carolinas makes very good magnetic drain plugs for various applications. I had one for the longest time on a previous car and was impressed with the longevity of the plug.

Here is a side-by-side (profile) view of the Dimple drain plug on top, and the Honda OEM transmission drain plug on the bottom. I tried my best to illustrate how much space each occupies past the point of contact (with the edge of the box), and found that both plugs span the same length, which is exactly what you want so as not to make contact with anything else in the pan.

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil change and transmission fluid change ZMtKwuc

As an alternative, Mishimoto also makes a drain plug this size, except it is made of aluminum and has a magnet that protrudes more like a tip. My only concern would be making sure that the tip does not make contact with anything else. If it doesnā€™t make contact, then it would be a suitable replacement plug.

FYI - the magnetic force on the Dimple plug is really strong, so be careful getting it near objects. I would compare the strength of it to the same force that NiteEyez cellphone holders use.

The torque spec for the Dimple is 18 ft-lbs.

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Update:

I did the oil and transmission fluid exchange on the Type R today, emptied the residue in the Mishimoto oil catch can, and wanted to share my experience.

First, here are some pictures of the removal of the Type R air box to access the fill-plug for the transmission case:

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil change and transmission fluid change wYWJvLD

Note: The air box consists of two parts (upper and lower). I loosened the stainless steel clamp holding the intake hose to the upper part (5.5mm bolt). Then I unclamped the two latches holding the upper part to the lower part (there is a MAF sensor wire that you have to disconnect first, super easy).Next, remove the upper part.

Note2: Remove the air filter. To remove the lower part, you need to first remove the rubberized connector that connects the intake area from that top of the frame to the inlet of the lower part. There are four nubs on the bottom and two at the top. If you have small hands, you can pop them out by reaching inside the connector. Once those are loose, the two nubs at the top slide up and away from the lower part.

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil change and transmission fluid change 0HJKpFQ

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil change and transmission fluid change ZCXRAhN

The weather-strip at the top, by the frame needs to be removed as well. There are plastic tabs that hold it in place, and the remainder of the connector is held in place too with 2 x 10mm bolts.

Do not yank or start Hulking these parts off the car. Take your time.

Note3: To remove the lower part, there is a 10mm bolt near the battery box and one at the base of the lower part connected to the frame.

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil change and transmission fluid change lhDskQ3

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil change and transmission fluid change Bn0TqwA

There is a rubber grommet holding the bottom of the box to the frame too. BEFORE you start pulling it, there is a plastic tie strap connecting the lower part to some big wire by the battery. Simply unsnap it with a pry tool, and reconnect it when you put everything back together.

Secondly, here is the Dimple magnetic drain plug now installed. It fit perfectly.

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil change and transmission fluid change gbT4fiN

The transmission took 2.3 quarts of new fluid. This is the remainder of fluid from the third quart.

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil change and transmission fluid change A9Yhh3b

Some fluid came out of the check-fill hole and I didnā€™t notice it, so thatā€™s why it looks like I used a teeny-weeny more.

Lastly, I installed a Fumoto oil drain valve after doing the oil exchange.

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil change and transmission fluid change KfhBCL

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil change and transmission fluid change XsE2dGx

This oil pan came in very handy, and this oil filter removal tool:

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil change and transmission fluid change eFPTyKI

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil change and transmission fluid change UXKKWYM

Mishimoto oil catch can had this much PCV residue after 1,674 miles to be exact!!! This was very surprising!

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil change and transmission fluid change ERyJsMz

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil change and transmission fluid change KMdJWPK

I donā€™t know how many ounces that is in the Starbucks Grande sized cup, but itā€™s definitely more residue than I expected.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
Going to order the GM modified synchromesh aka Delco here shortly and was hoping someone can link me to a pump that would fit into the bottle to pump the fluid inside. Amazon preferred
Thank you!

Patrick Bateman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 FK8, ā€˜19 XC60 R-Design, ā€˜17 ZL1, ā€˜02 SS
Country flag
Going to order the GM modified synchromesh aka Delco here shortly and was hoping someone can link me to a pump that would fit into the bottle to pump the fluid inside. Amazon preferred
Thank you!
A pump isnā€™t at all necessary. Just use a funnel.

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Thank you!
Tip: If you are using jack stands in the front of the car during this process, then fill the gearbox with 2.3 quarts of fluid (specified capacity for the Type R), leave the check-fill plug open, and lower the car before reinstalling the check-fill plug. This will ensure the correct fluid amount remains in the gearbox, and cause any excess to drip-out. If you are using a lift, you may find that 2 quarts will fill the gearbox due to some residual past fluid not completely draining out.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Thank you!
No pump needed if you fill from the top. Just measure 2.2L or 2.3q of fluid. Make sure you get the friction modified fluid.
Sponsored