Oil change and oil catch can.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Any direct injected motor should.
Also if you have one and it fills up with measurable oil, then it kinda speaks for itself.
Disagree. Without the catch can the blow by would get cooked off as designed.
Sponsored

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here is a photo of my bumper after track day. Rear bumper is covered in oil splatter from blow by. My engine is fully built and modified. I need to put my can on.
Honda Civic 10th gen Oil change and oil catch can. 8953BBFF-9B23-41CE-AE3B-305671BA29B3

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Here is a photo of my bumper after track day. Rear bumper is covered in oil splatter from blow by. My engine is fully built and modified. I need to put my can on.
If that is indeed oil and not fuel, you have more issues than a can is going to solve.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
8953BBFF-9B23-41CE-AE3B-305671BA29B3.jpeg
Looks like soot to me, but you've already got the catback replaced.... the catback which on the 10th gen Si is pretty much a noisemaker and not a limiting factor in exhaust flow. I guess in the effort of going full bolt on, you went all out. Probably saved some weight, that's something.

With a fully built engine..... - what have your results been from oil analysis and who are you using?

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Carbon build up is from normal incomplete combustion of fuel in the combustion chamber. When the valve opens it accumulates some on the base of the valve. With no port injector to spray on it, carbon from the cylinder has no way to "wash" off. No catch can is going to help with this because the "drip" is not what is causing the issue.
Recirc forms deposits, not cylinder combustion. When the intake valve opens air comes in- contents of the cylinder do not flow out.

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Recirc forms deposits, not cylinder combustion. When the intake valve opens air comes in- contents of the cylinder do not flow out.
It's not flowing out. On modern DI engines they run so efficient and "hot" that sometimes a sub optimal flame front like pre-detonation occurs and the whole fuel mix is not ignited. the valve goes into the cylinder and it collects on the valve.

"The intake valve goes into the combustion chamber, regardless of whether it is port fuel injected or direct injected. When it does, for that small period of time, the valve is exposed to combustion byproducts that can stick to its neck. If the previous combustion cycle was less than optimal, the intake valve is exposed."

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Looks like soot to me from that pic. I've got that crap all over the tip of my factory exhaust HDMI. Clean it and it comes back in a few days.

Interesting debate on catch can. I'm pretty low mileage (13k) so not too worried. I might look into it in future or at least follow this thread to see where debate goes.

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
To each their own, but I would not want this coated on my intake manifold runners and valves.

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil change and oil catch can. IMG_20190615_105416

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
PCV will of course result in some build up, but I believe the natural cooking and coking of the oil used for lubrication of the valve is a bigger contributor to the issue. The issue arises because fuel is no longer washing over/past the valves like it did with injection prior to the cylinder. Some manufacturers have used ancillary/classic placement of additional injectors to avoid the issue.

At some point I'll justify pulling the head and valves for walnut blasting, thankfully I have a friend with a shop who throws it in when doing a P&P. Never liked the idea of seafoam or other spray type injector cleaners.

@tacocat would you like me to remove my intake manifold and take a photo of the oil inside to make you happy?
I don't think tacocat would want that. But I think he would like to see a comparison of oil analysis from a similar vehicle which does not have a catch can. Maybe that's just something I'd like to see.
Thoughts?

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
@tacocat would you like me to remove my intake manifold and take a photo of the oil inside to make you happy?
I mean if you are happy you have a poorly build engine with excessive blow by, rest assured I am also happy.

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
To each their own, but I would not want this coated on my intake manifold runners and valves.

IMG_20190615_105416.jpg
It's not like all that goes in your intake at once. It's the equivalent of one drop every few miles blown into the combustion chamber by post turbo air.

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's not like all that goes in your intake at once. It's the equivalent of one drop every few miles blown into the combustion chamber by post turbo air.
35K miles on an L15B:
Honda Civic 10th gen Oil change and oil catch can. 1658343691669

9,800 miles on a K20C1:
Honda Civic 10th gen Oil change and oil catch can. 1658343728198

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil change and oil catch can. 1658343820147

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
35K miles on an L15B:
1658343691669.png

9,800 miles on a K20C1:
1658343728198.png

1658343820147.png
Not sure what your point is? A port injected vs a DI. And a catch can will not change the effects of DI on the intake valves.

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not sure what your point is? A port injected vs a DI. And a catch can will not change the effects of DI on the intake valves.
You must not know your engines because the L15B and K20C1 are both turbo direct injected engines from Honda...
Sponsored