CMarks

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Okay I'm coming up on an oil change and i have been thinking about installing an oil catch can for a while and thought i might as well do it when i do an oil change. I want to hear feedback from people on what kind of catch can they are using seems mishimoto is the way to go but its pretty pricey compared to the cheap amazon ones and i am unsure if there is even a significant difference with a catch can being a non needed mod that doesn’t provide that much of a difference. With that being said if i can save like 150$ or so and getting the same performance somewhat than that would be nice. But if people that have an amazon catch can that have had issues with them then i will stay away and go with the reliable mishimoto. These ones i was looking into.
Honda Civic 10th gen Oil change and oil catch can. DA7CC4FD-5D45-4A70-BC55-1EE5275E5451
Honda Civic 10th gen Oil change and oil catch can. DE99D223-8B67-4BB3-919F-7C0263898FE6

BigRedtheGinger

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport 6MT, 1988 Honda CRX SI, 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2 V8
Country flag
I personally don't have experience with these, but I'm also considering one for my 2.0. Engineering Explained and Donut Media both have videos testing different catch cans.

Los’fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
I’ve used an Amazon brand one for about 3 months now and it’s been great. Honestly, unless you’re into “brand named” stuff, there’s really not a benefit (other than maybe fitment/looks). The one i bought works and looks great imo. It’s literally the exact one from the video link posted

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil change and oil catch can. 48284358-106F-4286-BA24-169D20F2CCCC

TonyTheTiger57

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 T-Bird, 78 Cougar, 84 Bronco, 85 F150 17 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any bit of oil that you keep from
Recirculating helps. Not sure why someone thinks it’s useless. It has to help somewhat with valve buildup.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I bought one from a US seller but seems like they don’t sell the catch cans anymore but they still have versions of them on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3936233092...NbSu0kDStG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I picked up one of these of eBay. It’s an exact mishimoto duplicate, minus the mishimoto brand tax. Works as it should. have had it on my car for 36k miles now. Piston seals still holding strong since I don’t catch much oil, but it’ll catch more as the engine ages. Any direct injection vehicle should have a oil catch can to prevent sticking valves in the future in my opinion. Now that I run the PRL flex fuel kit had to fabricate a bracket so that this catch can could still fit in its place

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Any bit of oil that you keep from
Recirculating helps. Not sure why someone thinks it’s useless. It has to help somewhat with valve buildup.
The amount of blow by these cars have is minimal. A drip every few miles that gets reintroduced in the combustion chamber and burnt is not going to do much of anything. Will it hurt to have one? No. Is it needed? No. Is it useless.... basically. Unless you are highly modified and have a well used engine with some blow by.

OP
OP
CMarks

CMarks

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
This is all i have been reading so far is a 50/50 of people saying their useless and people saying their not.

Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2006 Honda Element, 2006 Chevy Express
Country flag
This is all i have been reading so far is a 50/50 of people saying their useless and people saying their not.
So far, the ones touting the benefits have all been backing it with things like "It has to do something, every little bit helps" and other rhetoric without citing anything objective.

FK7 Civic Pilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
The question I have is all the guys who say catch cans aren't needed, what sort of real world experience do you base that opinion on? I've run a Mishimoto catch can for the last 5 years, it does collect a measurable amount of oil, especially as the engine miles accumulate or if I drive the car with liberal throttle application. Those that keep referencing MAPerformance decision not to develop their own catch can, which was apparently based on a sample size of 1 relatively low mileage car, isn't that valid of an argument. Their research opinion can be countered by saying PRL is coming out with their own oil separator, they did a write up on why they feel their product is a worthy addition to the Civic based on their own research and observations. Who's to say PRL is pushing a product that's worthless and not needed? As I've noted before, MAPerformance doesn't seem to care they sell to the unsuspecting Civic owners Boomba BOV or Injen air intakes. So I take their research conclusions with a grain of salt when they offer products that have been shown to actually harm our cars. Curiously, for being a "worthless product" they also stock and sell Mishimoto oil catch cans.
Ultimately, it's your car, you're free to do what you want. Some guys on the forum think anything more daring than changing floormats is wasted money and shouldn't be done because the Honda engineers didn't deem it necessary. For me, it's cheap insurance, and when I empty it at each oil change, it shows it's doing it's job as far as collecting oil and gas. ( Spare me the "it's just condensation" argument, I live in SoCal where it doesn't get that cold to condense moisture in the can, and I've had the fluid analyzed, it was mostly oil with some gas and very little water )
If you run a completely stock car and trade it in every 5 years, yeah, you probably won't see any benefit running a can, but my plan is to keep driving my car as long as possible.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've run a mishimoto can for 5 years and when you catch everything in color + consistency, from espresso to a fuel-creme Americano, you don't care whether it would burn just fine if you were unaware.

TonyTheTiger57

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 T-Bird, 78 Cougar, 84 Bronco, 85 F150 17 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My 1985 Ford F-150 has a primitive catch can from the factory.. It has a white gauze pad in a plastic housing, in the air cleaner assembly that catches the oil build up. All cars used to come with some type of catch can, now new cars want to try to burn off that little bit of oil. That is why cars are having so much build up of carbon on the back of their valves on direct injected engines. And yes, "Every little bit helps" It is like saving your change and tossing it into a big jar, and saving it, instead of being stupid, and throwing it on the ground. Where is the carbon buildup coming from when you are supposed to be having clean air only coming into the cylinder?

MarcusgibbS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8 2000 EM1
Country flag
Any direct injected motor should.
Also if you have one and it fills up with measurable oil, then it kinda speaks for itself.

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
My 1985 Ford F-150 has a primitive catch can from the factory.. It has a white gauze pad in a plastic housing, in the air cleaner assembly that catches the oil build up. All cars used to come with some type of catch can, now new cars want to try to burn off that little bit of oil. That is why cars are having so much build up of carbon on the back of their valves on direct injected engines. And yes, "Every little bit helps" It is like saving your change and tossing it into a big jar, and saving it, instead of being stupid, and throwing it on the ground. Where is the carbon buildup coming from when you are supposed to be having clean air only coming into the cylinder?
Carbon build up is from normal incomplete combustion of fuel in the combustion chamber. When the valve opens it accumulates some on the base of the valve. With no port injector to spray on it, carbon from the cylinder has no way to "wash" off. No catch can is going to help with this because the "drip" is not what is causing the issue.
Sponsored