500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
So I know on the Si a catch can was a waste of money. But now that I'm in this R I'm curious if it actually serves a purpose?
I'm assuming engine is designed the same and it would be a waste of money.
Sponsored

nickjohn35

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2017 PMM Typer R. Former: 2004 350Z
Country flag
Catch can test performed on FK8 Reviews Group. Do they catch oil? Yes. Do they catch enough oil that you must have one? In my opinion it depends on how your using your car. If you’re always at the track, I’d say it’s a good idea. If your a spirited street driving you’d be fine without one. But, If it gives you peace of mind, definitely get one. I definitely wouldn’t spend hundreds of dollars for one that’s for sure.

Last edited:

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Maybe the point is , does the small amount of oil that the catch can seems to be catching, really make any difference to the amount of deposits that are being built up on the back side of the input valves ?

I fitted one, when I 1st got the car, and it seems that very little is being caught... whether that is because there is very little to be caught, or because it is not very good at catching - that I don't know. Seems to catch almost the same amount of water as it does oil, but after 1000's of mile, hardly enough to cover the bottom of the can.

But with it's pretty Blue Hoses, it does look good, and my wife likes the look of it, which is always good thing. Helps when I want to do other mods to "her" car that she might consider "unnecessary" !!

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Which oil catch cans would be good to consider?

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
My Radium can seems to pick up a good amount of oil. The issue is amplified the harder you drive. It also depends on quality of oil amongst other things. Just because one guy on Facebook didn’t catch much doesn’t mean everyone doesn’t now need one. It’s a 200 dollar investment to help keep the engine clean. Should be a no brainer IMO.

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
My Radium can seems to pick up a good amount of oil. The issue is amplified the harder you drive. It also depends on quality of oil amongst other things. Just because one guy on Facebook didn’t catch much doesn’t mean everyone doesn’t now need one. It’s a 200 dollar investment to help keep the engine clean. Should be a no brainer IMO.
word

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I went with the Mishimoto catch can and check it every oil change. Both times it captured between 1-2 oz of oil. Not a lot, but rather have it in the catch can than coating my intake valves. Seems like a no-brainer to me as well, but to each his/her own.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Agree with the comments above. The harder you drive the more it will catch and even with normal driving they still pull a bit off as noted directly above.

Akuto

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R, 01 C5 Corvette, 12 Audi TTRS
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Technically, we require two catch cans, the PCV and the CCV, (PCV being in the rear of the engine bay and CCV being in the front).

All in all, it helps longevity of the motor by catching the possible build-up. They are more of a safety measure. Since we are direct injected, we will see more build up than normal since the fuel does not clean the valves as a port injection does. Should you worry about it? Kinda, but not a high priority if you just daily drive it and never see a track.

Build up can be mostly found on the valves and in the intake manifold. The intake manifold will develop a film of oil and can dampen the performance by restricting air flow. ( It happen to my vette that I had for drag racing and it was nasty as fuck and cut my time by a tad, I tested the results with a clean intake manifold btw)

If you do track it, then I highly recommend it as you will be cutting down your longevity of the motor without them.

As of what I know, Radium has both PCV and CCV catch cans available (I'm sure there are other companies out there with both PCV and CCV, I just have my eyes on the radium ones)

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you Akuto for the detailed explanation. Was wondering why Radium offers a dual catch can set up. Tempting.

Would you opt for the remote petcock drain kit if you were to pick one up?

I read somewhere it was a cheap plastic valve... but another person said it made draining quick and easy.

Akuto

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R, 01 C5 Corvette, 12 Audi TTRS
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you Akuto for the detailed explanation. Was wondering why Radium offers a dual catch can set up. Tempting.

Would you opt for the remote petcock drain kit if you were to pick one up?

I read somewhere it was a cheap plastic valve... but another person said it made draining quick and easy.
You are welcome, and tbh I'd skip on the petcock only because you have to run the extra hosing to an area lower than the can and collect the drainage from there, plus run the wiring (if its electrical). Me personally, im fine with just unscrewing the cans and then screwing them back on. Thats how all of my other catch cans were on my drag cars
Sponsored