First Name
Jin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si
Country flag
Hey guys

I did some research and I didn’t see anyone with a check valve with their catch cans. Question do I need it?
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Most would tell you that you don't even need a catch can. I've ran one myself and it did little to nothing. The money can likely be better spent elsewhere.

OP
OP
NDFong

NDFong

First Name
Jin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si
Country flag
Did you catch anything?

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Catch can will catch a couple ounces every few thousand miles. I seem to get more gas in my catch can than oil, which may indicate that enough gas is getting through the pcv to keep the intake valves free of significant buildup.

I’ve also seen pictures that show the injectors are aimed at an angle where they spray gas on the edges of the intake valves as they go down into the cylinder. I think this was done in an effort to keep the edges of the valves clean enough to prevent valve float in the long term.

I use a mishimoto catch can and CRC turbo/intake valve cleaner every 10k miles just because it makes me feel better. Until I see somebody shove an oscilloscope down into the intake of an Si with 75k-100k miles on it with no preventative measures taken, i’m gonna keep running it. The catch can is catching some oil.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Catch can will catch a couple ounces every few thousand miles. I seem to get more gas in my catch can than oil, which may indicate that enough gas is getting through the pcv to keep the intake valves free of significant buildup.

I’ve also seen pictures that show the injectors are aimed at an angle where they spray gas on the edges of the intake valves as they go down into the cylinder. I think this was done in an effort to keep the edges of the valves clean enough to prevent valve float in the long term.

I use a mishimoto catch can and CRC turbo/intake valve cleaner every 10k miles just because it makes me feel better. Until I see somebody shove an oscilloscope down into the intake of an Si with 75k-100k miles on it with no preventative measures taken, i’m gonna keep running it. The catch can is catching some oil.
CRC turbo/Intake cleaner is it any good or is it just snake oil ? I saw some STP stuff in Autozone yesterday when I was helping my friend to fix his car. I wanted to use that but I felt it was expensive at $40

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
These engines run relatively clean, but I still run a catch can. I bought a mishimoto replica off eBay so I think it was money well spent. Literally same design minus the brand name. None the less running E85 blend I seem to catch a good amount of condensation now. Does the engine need it? Not really, but I rather catch some of the crap in my catch can than it being sent back into my engine to gunk my valves. To each their own

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You don’t really need a check valve since the PCV valve is already a one way valve. It only opens when there’s enough of a vacuum from the intake to begin pulling the blow by in the crank and the pcv system needs to operates on a vacuum so there’s really no chance of it reversing, as once the vacuum pressure is gone the pcv valve closes back up blocking anything from going back into the crank

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
CRC turbo/Intake cleaner is it any good or is it just snake oil ? I saw some STP stuff in Autozone yesterday when I was helping my friend to fix his car. I wanted to use that but I felt it was expensive at $40
A can of CRC is 12$ last time I bought a can. Just make sure you follow the instructions carefully. It’ll seem real sketchy the first time you use it. There is no noticeable difference if your car is low milage, just preventative. It’ll smell like rotten eggs coming out of your exhaust though. Idk if that means it’s working, or if that’s just what the stuff smells like when it burns and passes through the cat

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They’re work to an extent, but it’s not night and day where it completely flushes the system and leaves it spotless obviously. It just cleans spots here and there

shibles

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In my mind, a couple bucks to keep the engine cleaner in the long run (even if it's not much) and keep the intake mixture consistent is worth it.

OP
OP
NDFong

NDFong

First Name
Jin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si
Country flag
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I only have 58 miles on the car. I just want to have a cleaner running engine. I’m going with a oil catch can without the upr check valve! Thanks again!
Sponsored