Oil Catch Can on 1.5 L Turbo?

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Hey guys, I recently bought a Honda Civic ext and I've been reading around that turbo engines usually get severe carbon build up over time. One fix for this was to install an oil catch can in your turbo. So pretty much my question is do yall recommend installing an oil catch can on hondas turbo engines?
Sponsored

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
"Usually" seems like a stretch. Doesn't seem like there is enough experience to show whether carbon build-up is an issue for this engine.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Use quality gas and regular oil changes with synthetic oil and there shouldn't be an issue. If this 'catch can' was such a great solution, do you not think that HONDA would use it to keep a good reputation? It would have cost very little to add in the factory

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
turbo is so small and running small amount of boost. so its not necessary for it. its to release crankcase pressure

pwschuh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6-speed
Country flag
You are reading the wrong sources.

Oil catch cans, which I have installed on another car I own, are not for your car. They are for modified cars running high boost pressures and/or high RPMs, to capture oil suspended in the crankcase or valve-train overpressure so that this oil doesn't get sucked back into the turbo, which is drawing a suction on the crankcase vent to keep internal pressures down. Oil in your intake charge reduces the effective octane rating of the fuel and generally makes a mess.

Just drive your car and don't worry about this. If you knew how to modify your car to the point where it needed an oil catch can, you would know enough to decide whether or not you needed one.

Last edited: