Oil Catch Can Necessary For 1.5L Turbo?

Whitechoco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From what Ive read carbon build up was a problem when DGI engines were first built because the injectors were below the piston heads. This issue was addressed and modern DGI engines have injectors both below the piston and above. The one above the piston effectively keeps it clean as gasoline is an excellent solvent. So IMO catch cans are not needed on gen x civics.
Sponsored

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From what Ive read carbon build up was a problem when DGI engines were first built because the injectors were below the piston heads. This issue was addressed and modern DGI engines have injectors both below the piston and above. The one above the piston effectively keeps it clean as gasoline is an excellent solvent. So IMO catch cans are not needed on gen x civics.
That's not how ours works. That's port injection in addition to direct injection. We only have direct.
Catch cans only reduce carbon contributions from PCV. EGR or valve overlap (I don't know if the civic does both) contribute uncombusted stuffs. Another contribution, if not the potentially largest, is the engine oil leaking past the seals around the valve stems.

So, a catch can and cert.-conformal oil with good detergents that is changed when needed or instructed per warranty are the ways to reduce the likelihood of issues.

If a car that has never had the intake valves inspected starts consuming a lot of oil, it likely has build-up on the valves that went into the chamber and was caught up in the rings.

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
20200518_131813.jpg

I tied it to the hard line and not the biller adapter.
Just curious - how did you end up bending the bracket? Forceful bending or did you also use a heat source?

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
By hand. I guess you could bolt something to it to get some more controllable torque.

Last edited:

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
By hand. I guess you could bold something to it to get some more controllable torque.
Oh I didn’t realize the metal would be that easy to bend. It looks like it would be easy if I had some vice grips, but unfortunately I don’t.

akashredder

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic sport hatchback MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If your stock, you really dont need one, unless your planning on keeping the car. i had mind stock with an oil catch can but even me beating on the engine you get nothing on the can, it will take almost 4k miles for you to see any oil, good engines. (took my car to servers every time with it never removed it, not one of the three dealers i went to ever gave me a hard time)

But now that I'm tone, yes there is blow by. if you care about the longevity of the engine and want to keep the car yes put one ( nothing but peace of mind when your beating your car)

partialprint

First Name
Partial
Threads
Reaction score
Website
music.apple.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I have prl cobra 27won intercooler and msd ignition coils. I drive my car pretty good and safe but occasionally open her up. Im thinking downpipe front pipe / exhaust in the future and possibly a tune capping it at about 220-230 hp not sure If I need a catch can honestly Ive had my civic 6 years im around 76,000 miles and wanna drive her til she breaks honestly. ive heard the build up gets burt in the engine anyway I use fuel injector cleaner every other oil change and a 44k bg fuel system cleaner every 30k and oil change every 3-5k not sure if I need it any thoughts ?

Los’fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
I have prl cobra 27won intercooler and msd ignition coils. I drive my car pretty good and safe but occasionally open her up. Im thinking downpipe front pipe / exhaust in the future and possibly a tune capping it at about 220-230 hp not sure If I need a catch can honestly Ive had my civic 6 years im around 76,000 miles and wanna drive her til she breaks honestly. ive heard the build up gets burt in the engine anyway I use fuel injector cleaner every other oil change and a 44k bg fuel system cleaner every 30k and oil change every 3-5k not sure if I need it any thoughts ?
I would 100% recommend a catch can. You will be surprised how much oil you find caught by a catch can once you are tuned/midding the car

partialprint

First Name
Partial
Threads
Reaction score
Website
music.apple.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I would 100% recommend a catch can. You will be surprised how much oil you find caught by a catch can once you are tuned/midding the car
Ok but until I get the tuner for daily spirited driving I should be ok correct? Im just worried about the pressures not being correct and possibly doing more damage then good with the oem setup with just my few bolt ons. My car was sold with lifetime drivetrain and powertrain warranty so with reg bolt ons I think Im still in the safe zone long as they cant prove that they caused any damage. However once Im tuning and using a catch can that opens another door

Los’fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Ok but until I get the tuner for daily spirited driving i should be ok correct? im just worried about the pressures nto being correct and possibly doing more damage then good
you’ll more then likely be ok either way (catch can or no catch can). But the catch can is an added safety measure that reduces oil blowby. Once you mod the car, blowby might increase a bit (from my personal experience).

It was the first “mod” i installed on my car but I wanted to keep my engine as clean as possible from the beginning. Im sure there are plenty of people on here not running any catch can and they are fine..

lastly, i wouldnt worry about “pressures not being correct”. The catch can setup is installed in a way to keep vaccum pressure. It just diverts the route of the pcv to the catch can first. A tune wouldnt be effected by this

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
There is no harm in adding a catch can, whether your car is stock or modified. The baffling in the valve cover works well but doesn't catch everything. We offer a catch can that doesn't interfere with PRL's flex fuel kit and is very easy to install! Link to catch can
Sponsored