Oil Catch Can Necessary For 1.5L Turbo?

fijizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring Sedan - Modern Steel Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
As stated in the thread title, is it necessary for 1.5L turbo civic owners to get oil catch cans?

I just discovered what oil catch cans are last night, so I'm fairly new to this concept. Most of what I've been reading online is, "This is a must have for turbocharged engines..."

Can anyone verify this, please? I don't plan on racing with my car... I just want to take care of my engine and prevent as many potential issues as possible.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I'd speak with your dealer first, might impact your warranty. If you plan on leaving the car stock, you don't need one. And as long as you go in for all your servicing's you'll be fine. But it couldn't hurt to install one anyway, it will help improve engine life and performance. There also not terribly expensive.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I plan on buying one after warranty is up. I am at 8k miles. 28k more to go!

Gwjvw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 civic EXT, audi Turbo,Jeep Cherokee Limited,09 civic exl, One bad ass Jeep Rubicon, Repsol 1000RR and a few Harleys
I hear from some people I know, you don't, then I hear they help! I'm sure soon you will here from the people that make and sell them how good they are lol

scottEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ext, 2015 crv se
Country flag
A catch can is to catch blow by oil from the crank case vent into the intake, if your not a performance modder I wouldn't bother.

These can be a double edged sword. I personally has one freeze in the winter causing excessive pressure and this blew the turbo seals (oil pressure spiked due to cheap Home Depot filter setup)
(2004 srt4 running 35lb boost)

Blow by should be minimal in a daily driven car.
But to each there own. I just advice doing a lot of research on the "cons" of having one aswell. (I.e. A lot are not emmisions legal)

Happy modding and hope you enjoy your civic.

OP
OP
fijizzle

fijizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A catch can is to catch blow by oil from the crank case vent into the intake, if your not a performance modder I wouldn't bother.

These can be a double edged sword. I personally has one freeze in the winter causing excessive pressure and this blew the turbo seals (oil pressure spiked due to cheap Home Depot filter setup)
(2004 srt4 running 35lb boost)

Blow by should be minimal in a daily driven car.
But to each there own. I just advice doing a lot of research on the "cons" of having one aswell. (I.e. A lot are not emmisions legal)

Happy modding and hope you enjoy your civic.
I sincerely appreciate the insight, @scottEXT! The only engine mod I'll be doing is adding an injen short ram air intake. You're right--I should do more research before pulling the trigger on an oil catch can. I was considering getting the Moshimoto one found here:

http://www.mishimoto.com/honda-civic-turbo-baffled-oil-catch-can-2016.html

Think I should get the oil catch can after I install the intake, or not?

scottEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ext, 2015 crv se
Country flag
I personally wouldn't bother.
There is no performance gain and marginal effect on a daily driven 170hp civic.

It's just an added cost and you have to drain it occasionally(if it catches anything)

Your money is better spent else where.

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
Hey @fijizzle, figured I'd step in!

There are some crucial benefits to having an oil catch can, especially on boosted applications. In port injected engines, the valves get sprayed with a mixture of fuel and air so they, in a sense, get cleaned moreso than a direct injection engine would. With modern direct injection engines, the fuel injector is placed right inside the combustion chamber, and the fuel does not reach the valves in a way that port injection does - port injection places injectors inside the intake manifold.

Because of this, oil and fuel vapors that get vented into the intake via positive crankcase ventilation and crankcase ventilation valves – the PCV and CCV systems. For emissions reasons, these vapors get routed back into the intake, but that is not where those vapors should end up, as they hinder performance and cause buildup. To combat this, catch cans filter out all of that recirculated fuel/oil/air mixture that makes it's way back into the engine and intake. This is definitely more of a powerful preventative maintenance measure over a performance mod.

Also, with respect to warranties - installation of a catch can will not void your vehicle warranty. The only potential negative effect would be denial of a particular warranty claim (such as a repair). In this case, the dealer would need to prove the catch can was a direct contributor to the warranty concern. Assuming the catch can is properly installed, you should not have any issues!

If you'd like to get some more detailed informaiton, here's the link to one of the posts in our development thread outlining exactly what our catch can does differently than any other one on the market. Check it out http://www.civicx.com/threads/mishimoto’s-2016-honda-civic-1-5l-turbo-catch-can-development.2745/#post-44349

We also have an awesome features and benefits video!

I hope this helps you and everyone else thinking about getting a catch can. We have an awesome direct fit option!

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
I know Mishimoto is a bit biased as, of course, they're the ones selling these things, but in my mind it's cheap insurance.

Google "BMW walnut blasting"; while completely different engines, the fundamentals of how they work are the same.

If a few hundred dollars and the inconvenience of having to drain the can once a year is all it takes to get longevity out of the engine, I'd say it's worth it.

OP
OP
fijizzle

fijizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I know Mishimoto is a bit biased as, of course, they're the ones selling these things, but in my mind it's cheap insurance.

Google "BMW walnut blasting"; while completely different engines, the fundamentals of how they work are the same.

If a few hundred dollars and the inconvenience of having to drain the can once a year is all it takes to get longevity out of the engine, I'd say it's worth it.
Thank you for your input. I genuinely appreciate the insight. Will look into "BMW walnut blasting."

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Sorry I couldn't post longer before; walnut blasting is literally blasting walnuts into your engine to clean out residue buildup due to oil blowby.
It's well documented within the BMW community, and most of their N54 engines -- which are DI turbo (albeit 6 cylinders) -- suffer from this.

As said, it's cheap insurance for an engine that's relatively new to the NA Market.
And, they do work -- they catch oil in a system that's supposed to only route air/gas, so it's doing something.

I also didn't know much about catch-cans until I got this car, and read through these forums. Deliberated a bit, bought one during the presale, and have not regretted it since.

OP
OP
fijizzle

fijizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry I couldn't post longer before; walnut blasting is literally blasting walnuts into your engine to clean out residue buildup due to oil blowby.
It's well documented within the BMW community, and most of their N54 engines -- which are DI turbo (albeit 6 cylinders) -- suffer from this.

As said, it's cheap insurance for an engine that's relatively new to the NA Market.
And, they do work -- they catch oil in a system that's supposed to only route air/gas, so it's doing something.

I also didn't know much about catch-cans until I got this car, and read through these forums. Deliberated a bit, bought one during the presale, and have not regretted it since.
Wow... Again, thanks so much for the information!

Have you collected any oil since?
Sponsored