Oil Catch Can Necessary For 1.5L Turbo?

mugenx78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Wow... Again, thanks so much for the information!

Have you collected any oil since?
I have had the Mishimoto oil catch can on for about 7,000 miles. (1 yr) Through 1 oil changes. Although I don’t drive all that much, during the summer time in Southern California the blow by was minimal ( 1/10 full ). During the winter months, now I have roughly 2,500 miles in on the oil change and noticed that it is ( 3/10 full ) I do have a total of 17,000 miles in 2 years. I do also have the Mishimoto intake. Seeing how much blow by gets in the oil catch can, I can only imagine how much build up there will be in my motor. Some people say that it’s not worth it and that it’s fine but it also bad to recirculate (oil,fuel,deposits,etc) back into your motor which can cause issues over time & buildup. I for one think it’s worth the price and piece of mind. Hopefully that helps.

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
Totally UN-needed frill. Otherwise, Honda would have included it with provision to drain back to crankcase or to a maintenance reservoir..

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I read up on them last night after seeing this thread. I had heard the term but didn't know anything about them.

Different car I know, but I have pulled ducts in the intake path of my Z32 and never seen any oil. While it's MPFI and not DI so it wouldn't suffer from oil and junk building up I'm the head, I would have figured I would have seen a ton of junk throughout the intake path. I saw nothing.

It has sparked my interest. I think I'll see if I can get my hands on a boroscope to look in my head and see if it's getting nasty. The few I've opened up have have never looked like the ones that the websites were showing that were pushing for people to use catch cans. I think all the pics were from the turbo i6 out of the 335/535i

reesee175

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport
Country flag
I have had the Mishimoto oil catch can on for about 7,000 miles. (1 yr) Through 1 oil changes. Although I don’t drive all that much, during the summer time in Southern California the blow by was minimal ( 1/10 full ). During the winter months, now I have roughly 2,500 miles in on the oil change and noticed that it is ( 3/10 full ) I do have a total of 17,000 miles in 2 years. I do also have the Mishimoto intake. Seeing how much blow by gets in the oil catch can, I can only imagine how much build up there will be in my motor. Some people say that it’s not worth it and that it’s fine but it also bad to recirculate (oil,fuel,deposits,etc) back into your motor which can cause issues over time & buildup. I for one think it’s worth the price and piece of mind. Hopefully that helps.
I agree with you. I brought mine at 2000 miles and now 18500 and I have to empty it every 2 weeks. This will not good your warrnty.

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil Catch Can Necessary For 1.5L Turbo? 20180102_132341

foehammerone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I agree with you. I brought mine at 2000 miles and now 18500 and I have to empty it every 2 weeks. This will not good your warrnty.

20180102_132341.jpg
Geezus every 2 weeks? That sounds like a pain in the ass. Also sounds abnormal?

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag

20180102_132341.jpg
I never had build up in my 16 civic turbo. catch can was always empty. even after 20k

mugenx78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
I never had build up in my 16 civic turbo. catch can was always empty. even after 20k
That does look excessive, although I only had roughly it 1/4 full after 5000 miles. When I would smell the fluid in the catch can it does smell like fuel + oil.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

20180102_132341.jpg
Wow. I would think you wouldn't have a drop of oil left in during a change interval, depending on the can's size. PCV stuck open...? You should have issues if it was but... still... that's some serious oil loss.

reesee175

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport
Country flag
I use to have a srt4 and never seen blow by. I'e seen di cars with build up like this. Also it' not just oil. DI cars have gas mixed in with oil.

RetroJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T 6MT ViTuned
Country flag
Here is my catch can after about 3k miles. Plenty of it looks like condensation.

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil Catch Can Necessary For 1.5L Turbo? 20180103_143032

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
You shouldn't have that much, I think that's condensation indeed. Make sure it's tightly sealed, it threads a bit more after catching the rubber O-ring.

I get ~2mm of black oil (and oil only) whenever I empty it every 6 months or so.

Lunarsilver17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
I read up on them last night after seeing this thread. I had heard the term but didn't know anything about them.

Different car I know, but I have pulled ducts in the intake path of my Z32 and never seen any oil. While it's MPFI and not DI so it wouldn't suffer from oil and junk building up I'm the head, I would have figured I would have seen a ton of junk throughout the intake path. I saw nothing.

It has sparked my interest. I think I'll see if I can get my hands on a boroscope to look in my head and see if it's getting nasty. The few I've opened up have have never looked like the ones that the websites were showing that were pushing for people to use catch cans. I think all the pics were from the turbo i6 out of the 335/535i
If you get a scope in there, post results please.

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
As stated in the thread title, is it necessary for 1.5L turbo civic owners to get oil catch cans?

I just discovered what oil catch cans are last night, so I'm fairly new to this concept. Most of what I've been reading online is, "This is a must have for turbocharged engines..."

Can anyone verify this, please? I don't plan on racing with my car... I just want to take care of my engine and prevent as many potential issues as possible.

Thanks in advance.
Totally unnecessary and might cause problems. Extra maintenance item. If it was important, Honda would have incorporated it.
Sponsored